Stop Online Piracy Act

Magnetic Ether

I wanted to come back to this because you are absolutely right and no one seems to believe that SOPA is really that bad. It is. You aren't just imagining a worst case scenario, either. All it would take is someone filing a complaint or worse - your ISP deciding that OCR isn't worth the risk anymore, and then the site disappears forever.

It's absolutely ridiculous, and the ironic part is that it is so ridiculous that no one seems to be taking this as seriously as they should be.

I pointed out the risk to OCR back on page two, so yes, some of us are taking this that seriously.

I pointed out the risk to OCR back on page two, so yes, some of us are taking this that seriously.

And you've been an inspiration to us all, Coop. For years, you've inspired me with your sig-making prowess. And we're glad you realized this thing was dangerous moderately before some others :) (yes I am being genuine here)

Also somethingawful forums brought up this CIV content, which I find hilarious.

laCWX.jpg

Edit: Also, remember folks, two things:

1) this is still just getting doctored up before it gets voted on on the House floor, it still would have a WAYS to go and lots of roadblocks before it would ever be put into place. So yes, there's concern, but it isn't like this will impact us all whenever they have to vote on it in the House next year.

2) Keep your eyes on PIPA, the Senate's version of SOPA which should be causing similar concern.

These points may have already been raised earlier in the thread.

So what's the direct IP address of OCR? As I understand it, the bill only provides means of removing the DNS entry from your internet service, not removing the site itself, so getting to a site by the IP address would still work. I've taken to gathering up IP addresses for many of my frequented sites just in case. What's OCR's?

Ninja'd to it, but I'll elaborate a bit:

Edit: Also, remember folks, two things:

1) this is still just getting doctored up before it gets voted on on the House floor, it still would have a WAYS to go and lots of roadblocks before it would ever be put into place. So yes, there's concern, but it isn't like this will impact us all whenever they have to vote on it in the House next year.

2) Keep your eyes on PIPA, the Senate's version of SOPA which should be causing similar concern.

These points may have already been raised earlier in the thread.

HalcyonSpirit, you are thinking of PIPA, a somewhat watered-down version of SOPA. They are both being pushed for by the entertainment industry, but I believe SOPA gives companies the right to sue OCR from even existing. Not just DNS lookup refusal, but if it's not hosted privately, they can force the serverhost or ISP to block it, possibly by refusing IP traffic as well (If this is possible, then http://69.16.252.101/forums/ will not connect you to the forum index of OCR)

I wanted to come back to this because you are absolutely right and no one seems to believe that SOPA is really that bad. It is. You aren't just imagining a worst case scenario, either. All it would take is someone filing a complaint or worse - your ISP deciding that OCR isn't worth the risk anymore, and then the site disappears forever.

It's absolutely ridiculous, and the ironic part is that it is so ridiculous that no one seems to be taking this as seriously as they should be.

To elaborate on your point a bit more, remember that little thing with the OCR YouTube account recently? Imagine that with the whole friggin' site. That's perfectly possible under the terms of this bill.

I don't mean to sound like this issue isn't as bad as it seems (it is), but the site's not gonna get taken down, it's just that the domain will be blocked by ISP's. (so it can still be accessed via IP address)

Still, that would pretty much be a death sentence. Blocked domain --> no new visitors --> decreased traffic --> decreased revenue from ads --> no more ocremix.

This site will be blocked upon the passage of Sopa...

I don't mean to sound like this issue isn't as bad as it seems (it is), but the site's not gonna get taken down, it's just that the domain will be blocked by ISP's. (so it can still be accessed via IP address)

said earlier in the topic:

Ninja'd to it, but I'll elaborate a bit:

HalcyonSpirit, you are thinking of PIPA, a somewhat watered-down version of SOPA. They are both being pushed for by the entertainment industry, but I believe SOPA gives companies the right to sue OCR from even existing. Not just DNS lookup refusal, but if it's not hosted privately, they can force the serverhost or ISP to block it, possibly by refusing IP traffic as well (If this is possible, then http://69.16.252.101/forums/ will not connect you to the forum index of OCR)

of course let's hope that's not true...

Still, that would pretty much be a death sentence. Blocked domain --> no new visitors --> decreased traffic --> decreased revenue from ads --> no more ocremix.

I dunno about everyone else, but I'd definitely contribute more for OCR's donation drive.

On the flipside, less traffic, lower cost for site maintenance.

Actually, all of OCR's financial connections can be choked off with the flick of a switch under SOPA. Financial institutions are liable for any infringement for sites that they make financial transfers to. SOPA allows those financial institutions to completely block off all transactions to those sites without any legal liability to the alleged infringer site.

In addition, the alleged infringer website will be removed from search engines and all sites linking to the alleged infringer are also liable for infringement if they continue to link after notice.

So yeah, the 12 or so people who know OCR's IP address could continue to access it, but OCR won't have any money and any connection to the web outside of those 12 people. It'll be just fine.

Actually, all of OCR's financial connections can be choked off with the flick of a switch under SOPA. Financial institutions are liable for any infringement for sites that they make financial transfers to. SOPA allows those financial institutions to completely block off all transactions to those sites without any legal liability to the alleged infringer site.

In addition, the alleged infringer website will be removed from search engines and all sites linking to the alleged infringer are also liable for infringement if they continue to link after notice.

So yeah, the 12 or so people who know OCR's IP address could continue to access it, but OCR won't have any money and any connection to the web outside of those 12 people. It'll be just fine.

Good point. There wouldn't even be ads. And if you wanted to donate, you couldn't go through PayPal. You'd probably have to put cash in an envelope and send it to David directly. All 12 of you.

You know OCR is mostly paid for by DJPretzel, right?

My bad. But it's not like OCR has sponsors across the web was my point.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that they have other ways to get money to OCR outside of financial institutions. All money transfers go through intermediary financial institutions, and all would be barred from making transfers to accounts owned by allegedly infringing websites. Same story with donations.