Stop Online Piracy Act

Magnetic Ether

JackKieser is right, but that doesn't mean he's not being a pretentious faux-intellectual about it.

the only people who use the word faux-intellectual are faux-intellectuals

if all of the people commenting on the 'jackkieser is a buttery butt' bandwagon actually shut their quivering jowls for a second and then maybe had an epiphany and realized that the thread is actually about sopa then maybe just maybe there might actually be a substantial discussion there

I don't claim to know a lot about the topic (so please correct me if I'm wrong), but here's what I've put together from some of the info in this thread and my personal opinions.

Even if SOPA fails, we can't expect peace for very long due to the precedent it sets. Congress isn't exactly one to learn from it's past and most of the big corporations involved can't stand losing even 0.0000001% of a product's sales. Unless something is done to properly address the underlying causes of the problem, it's only a matter of time before SOPA or a similar bill is passed.

No-one on this site makes money from any of this music. That makes absolutely no sense.

Please, Jack, you really either don't know what you're talking about or don't understand how to properly apply it discerningly. The reason your last topic was shut down was because you speak to everyone as if you are the end-all and be-all of all copyright law knowledge, when, in fact, you have acknowledged that you are in or just out of university (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been awhile). More than anything, your attitude will turn people off, and no-one will listen to an argument when given with that condescending tone. Change it, or I guarantee you will be shown the door.

The exact problem with graduates in any field think they're immediately experts in a field they've barely started working in.

My god you lot are complaining about jack?

Would of thought he'd have been given the boot by now,

The sopa act was the topic not wether being a prick to people because they went to university and "think" they know better then others.

Back on track about it, the way i see it now that sopa has been raised to awareness it will only be a matter of time till the goverment bring up some sort of law for pirating copyrighted material.

All you can hope for is that the law is well defined and written well enough that stuff such as parody or as this site does, give tribute to the original piece wont be effected.

I'm british it's not my country, ergo i have no power to stop or change SOPA, all i can do is sign online petitions and stuff like that which never does much to begin with.

Are you american jack? if so you can change this.

all us non-american's can only bring knowledge of it and hope the american's are sorting it out.

If this was in my country yes i would do something to try and fix the mess but its not i'm afraid.

There are a couple of things wrong with this mentality, but before I list them, yes, I'm American, and I'm constantly doing things to try to fix this broken system. I meet up with people IRL and online (including posting on forums) and have discussions / educate people on both this law and the IP system in general (say what you want about the Occupiers, but when they started up in Seattle, I went to the protest and talked to people about IP law, for instance), I call representatives and Congressmen, I sign petitions, I help raise money... I do a lot.

That being said, part of the reason SOPA exists is because no other country is standing up to the IP kings and enacting laws to stop this nonsense, either. The US has no one else to counter it with legislation, so it does what it wants. Imagine the pressure it'd take to enact SOPA if Britain had definitive pro-free information policies, like the ones the Swiss have. Imagine how hard it'd be to pull this shit if Britain, France, Germany, etc. had Swiss-like systems, or adopted Creative Commons as a legal standard, or set hard, unchangable limits on copyright at 14 years, or any of the other things they could possibly do to promote free and open idea exchange. That's what you can do.

You can influence your own country's policy to give the US an example of how to do IP law properly. Yes, SOPA is in the US Congress right now. That doesn't mean there is NOTHING you can do about it.

You can influence your own country's policy to give the US an example of how to do IP law properly. Yes, SOPA is in the US Congress right now. That doesn't mean there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Have you seen how corrupt my countries leaders are? O.o

They didn't follow the country when the entire country was against the war,

They used our paid taxes to fund 2ND homes and holiday homes and were caught doing so.

Telling the politicians what they should do in my country is like shouting at a deaf person.

Annnyway. it seems the SOPA act has been delayed that's good news either way you swing it.

Edit:

And before you begin jack, i have no faith in my countries leaders and i doubt i ever will whatever you will say to persuade me to otherwise will not work, dont stress either man i take what your saying serious i just dont see them smart enough to do it correctly.

What would be the implications to satire/parody television shows and records (I.e. SNL, Daily Show, Leno/Letterman/Conan/Kimmel, Weird Al, MAD magazine, The Onion, 8-Bit Theater, etc.) It's reaching for the Internet, but would a SOPA/PIPA law brush past other mediums also? I haven't examined the legislation.

The current legislation impacts online content only. The penalties are specifically tailored to IP online (i.e. the civil penalties are DNS's being blocked, removed from search engine indexes, and cut off financially, the criminal penalties are imposed for streaming any song that is copyrighted for which the mandatory license fee is greater than $1000 (there's no license fee that, to my knowledge, would be less than $1000).

The current legislation impacts online content only. The penalties are specifically tailored to IP online (i.e. the civil penalties are DNS's being blocked, removed from search engine indexes, and cut off financially, the criminal penalties are imposed for streaming any song that is copyrighted for which the mandatory license fee is greater than $1000 (there's no license fee that, to my knowledge, would be less than $1000).

Of course, it might start up the momentum needed to pass similar regulations for other mediums.

I think they were planning to do that to get the word out to the masses before it passed to show just how much of a bad idea it would be.

Hell, when it was streaming last month I remember when it all momentum was stopped because of a tweet from one of the senators about how he was bored.

Imagine if they shut it down on a day when they were discussing it...