Stop Online Piracy Act

Magnetic Ether

http://choochoobear.tumblr.com/post/16047028443/sopa-lives-and-mpaa-calls-protests-an-abuse-of-power

Some of the strongest hypocrisy I've ever read, if I were trapped in a room with these people I'm not sure I could restrain myself from projectile vomiting every time they attempt to speak. I'd like to say that I'm boycotting them over this but I'm not a big film guy to begin with, it's already been a year or two since I've bought a movie anyway.

Or just use noscript for firefox, it'll bypass it.

The easiest thing is to just disable Javascript in your browser.

EDIT:

http://choochoobear.tumblr.com/post/16047028443/sopa-lives-and-mpaa-calls-protests-an-abuse-of-power

Some of the strongest hypocrisy I've ever read, if I were trapped in a room with these people I'm not sure I could restrain myself from projectile vomiting every time they attempt to speak. I'd like to say that I'm boycotting them over this but I'm not a big film guy to begin with, it's already been a year or two since I've bought a movie anyway.

I hope the Hollywood douches now realize that they've awakened a sleeping giant, and now they can't pull crap like this ever again. People love their internetz

I hope the Hollywood douches now realize that they've awakened a sleeping giant, and now they can't pull crap like this ever again. People love their internetz

They won't stop, they'll wait till nobody is paying attention and then try to get through legislation quietly. Just like they said parts of the bill and even the process to vote it in was off the table and waiting until February to bring it to the House.

I find it ironic how quickly the ESA has been vilified, considering they're the NRA of gamers.

Well, this "dangerous and troubling development" has given so much more exposure to SOPA now.

As of this morning, check out these frontpages:

http://www.cnn.com/

http://www.msn.com/ (first slide)

http://www.aol.com/ (not on the top but near it, you can see it third row down on the right)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

http://www.foxnews.com/ (I never thought I'd see the day)

http://news.cnet.com/

And despite all this Ravens brew-ha-ha going on, even the Baltimore Sun, my local paper, has something on it. Even if its just under the Business section :whatevaa:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/

Edit: Two funny quotes from Lamar Smith.

[On Wikipedia's blackout] "It is ironic that a website dedicated to providing information is spreading misinformation about the Stop Online Piracy Act," Smith said. "Perhaps during the blackout, Internet users can look elsewhere for an accurate definition of online piracy."

[in response to the White House announcing it "will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet"]

“I welcome today’s announcement that the White House will support legislation to combat online piracy that protects free speech, the Internet and America’s intellectual property," Smith said, according to The Hill. "That’s precisely what the Stop Online Piracy Act does."

You know what would be good? If all of these sites stayed down until SOPA dies. THAT would really draw attention.

If Facebook and Twitter did ANYTHING, then it would spell the end of SOPA/PIPA.

[in response to the White House announcing it "will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet"]

“I welcome today’s announcement that the White House will support legislation to combat online piracy that protects free speech, the Internet and America’s intellectual property," Smith said, according to The Hill. "That’s precisely what the Stop Online Piracy Act does."

Lamar Smith is a grade-A douche voluntarily putting his head up his own ass.

Not necessarily - I can see that backfiring on their businesses. I think them being up serves a good purpose actually, since it leaves it up to friends to educate each other about the issue, and that is often more influential.

I wasn't necessarily saying if they blacked out, but if they had a banner at the top of the page talking about SOPA/PIPA and why it's bad, then Hell would really rain down on Congress.

On the other hand, I can understand its decision not to. They have a lot of power by directly reaching out to users. It's important that they only use it in the most dire of circumstances so as not to hurt their business model (as you mentioned), and so that the option remains an effective one.

I wasn't necessarily saying if they blacked out, but if they had a banner at the top of the page talking about SOPA/PIPA and why it's bad, then Hell would really rain down on Congress.

On the other hand, I can understand its decision not to. They have a lot of power by directly reaching out to users. It's important that they only use it in the most dire of circumstances so as not to hurt their business model (as you mentioned), and so that the option remains an effective one.

yeah they have too much to lose, it would be a really nice sentiment though. Me and a few friends have small references to it, blacked out profile pictures/covers, another with a STOP SOPA sign, etc. But I've been talking about it prior to today in small parts, I think anyone passing by my profile already knows.

Oh hmm I haven't tweeted anything though but I rarely use that..

It's pissing me off that the opponents don't even acknolwedge that Cotex, random fashion and pharmaceutical, chemical-industrial, farming, christian orgs, and consumer product companies are supporting this crap. Again, really they're concerned with piracy? And then everyone has the audacity to slap job creator or job protecting on anything bill with big money. I'm tired of the phrases "job creator" and "job" being used rather arbitrary. Theoretically anything can create jobs, violence would produce a need for more cops and doctors, war more technology and people, prostitution could stimulate the economy by giving more women the power to buy their cotex and clothing rather than downloading it illegally apparently, I could go on ad nasium... so apparently we do or should live in a world where nothing is prohibited and everything is a commodity.

Or, crap maybe we're already almost there. So remember guys beat up as many people as you can today. You'll be a job creator! Then you can get bills to support your interests too! :-)

(ps is it me or is society becoming more... totalitarian?)

btw Wikipedia still works on the iPhone. Oh well...

I have a theory as to why Obama is not outright opposing it yet. If the House and Senate do pass the bills (and the Senate looks likely to pass it), then Obama will probably veto the compromise bill. He will be praised for "saving internet freedom," boosting his re-election campaign. Plus he can call out some of the Republican presidential candidates who may consider supporting these bills. Just a theory though...

It's pissing me off that the opponents don't even acknolwedge that Cotex, random fashion and pharmaceutical, chemical-industrial, farming, christian orgs, and consumer product companies are supporting this crap. Again, really they're concerned with piracy? And then everyone has the audacity to slap job creator or job protecting on anything bill with big money. I'm tired of the phrases "job creator" and "job" being used rather arbitrary. Theoretically anything can create jobs, violence would produce a need for more cops and doctors, war more technology and people, prostitution could stimulate the economy by giving more women the power to buy their cotex and clothing rather than downloading it illegally apparently, I could go on ad nasium... so apparently we do or should live in a world where nothing is prohibited and everything is a commodity.

Or, crap maybe we're already almost there. So remember guys beat up as many people as you can today. You'll be a job creator! Then you can get bills to support your interests too! :-)

(ps is it me or is society becoming more... totalitarian?)

It's an attempt to cash in on the thing everyone is the most concerned about: having a job that pays the bills. But it's a heartless, stupid phrase that strikes all of the fear of being jobless without any of the real drive to create the thing which it purportedly supports. It's manipulative at the most basic level, and it's sadly a strategy that works all too well for the people that choose to use it. The pity and fear button is the easiest, cheapest, and most effective button to push when it comes to the public. And it's being pushed a lot lately. I would argue that's why the defense bill passed and is now being totally forgotten. It's why SOPA is being adamantly defended by certain groups (never minding that these same groups are fixated on the purpose of the bill, instead of the means in which the bill seeks to achieve it's goal.) It's not an ignominious purpose to try and limit online piracy, in fact I would argue that for a group whose livelihood and (outdated) purpose lies within the use of media, it's almost noble. But this isn't the way to do it, because it's underhanded, it's pushing against common sense, and the potential for misuse is nearly endless. Especially for a group like the MPAA who have proven time and again that if you give them the power they will find ways to abuse it far and above it's originating intent (The Digital Millennium Copyright act for instance)

btw Wikipedia still works on the iPhone. Oh well...

I have a theory as to why Obama is not outright opposing it yet. If the House and Senate do pass the bills (and the Senate looks likely to pass it), then Obama will probably veto the compromise bill. He will be praised for "saving internet freedom," boosting his re-election campaign. Plus he can call out some of the Republican presidential candidates who may consider supporting these bills. Just a theory though...

Just like he vetoed the NDAA.

Is that sarcasm? Pretty sure he didn't veto it, he just threatened to, and only because it didn't give the executive branch enough power.

Anyway, so far today I've:

* Called both my district representatives (one of them picked up and hung up immediately, the other said they don't support it)

* Emailed both senators

Interestingly, one of the reps said BOTH bills had been pulled. Source?

████ ████ ███ ██ ██ ██ ████████ ███ █ █████ █████████ ███ █████ ██ █████ ████████ ███ ███████ ████ █ ████. ███ █████ ██ ███ ██ ██ ███ ████ █████████ ██ ████████.

Is that sarcasm? Pretty sure he didn't veto it, he just threatened to, and only because it didn't give the executive branch enough power.

Anyway, so far today I've:

* Called both my district representatives (one of them picked up and hung up immediately, the other said they don't support it)

* Emailed both senators

Interestingly, one of the reps said BOTH bills had been pulled. Source?

Look it up on Wikipedi...Oh wait! :sad:

████ ████ ███ ██ ██ ██ ████████ ███ █ █████ █████████ ███ █████ ██ █████ ████████ ███ ███████ ████ █ ████. ███ █████ ██ ███ ██ ██ ███ ████ █████████ ██ ████████.

um, aren't you supposed to supply a link to uncensor this (while the internet is still free?)