Stop Online Piracy Act

Magnetic Ether

yeah on a sociological scale media piracy is essentially a reaction to having to pay thirty fucking dollars for a single shitty dvd

in the era of netflix it's clear that not only can direct view, non-time oriented programming flourish, but it's more profitable than any alternatives and is generally more respected by its customers

if music and video games and television and books could all just learn to embrace similar business models, piracy would see a significant downturn

if music and video games and television and books could all just learn to embrace similar business models, piracy would see a significant downturn

Your post makes sense to me, especially this part. Not sure how the music industry would embrace a netflix type of business model, but I guess they should if it's possible.

Also, just out of curiosity, isn't Gamefly technically a netflix for video games minus the streaming and whatnot?

yeah on a sociological scale media piracy is essentially a reaction to having to pay thirty fucking dollars for a single shitty dvd

in the era of netflix it's clear that not only can direct view, non-time oriented programming flourish, but it's more profitable than any alternatives and is generally more respected by its customers

yeah that kinda reminds me of an article I read (don't remember where) about anime piracy where it said that one of the main appeals of piracy is that you get a superior product than what you could pay for.

Pirated anime can be downloaded, streamed, archived etc. and they usually come out very fast.

Pirated manga comes out faster as well.

Pirated software does not have all this DRM bullshit and can be played without the CD.

I had never thought about this but it all seems reasonable to me. It would be interesting to see what the effects would be if a legal ($) service that offers the same or better quality would try to compete.

Your post makes sense to me, especially this part. Not sure how the music industry would embrace a netflix type of business model, but I guess they should if it's possible.

Also, just out of curiosity, isn't Gamefly technically a netflix for video games minus the streaming and whatnot?

There are plenty of Netflix-esque streaming services for music, not to mention custom download stuff. Rhapsody, Napster, Grooveshark, and Spotify to name a few, while Pandora is quite similar. It's... OK. In my experience, the old model is still WAY better. I've made very little from streaming services relative to selling albums on iTunes.

like the "industry" hasn't been robbing us blind for years already.

back in the day, 30$ CDs... a Round flat disc of 30 cents plastic.

I'm 100% opposed to SOPA but let's be real for a second here. First of all, at most, typical mainstream CDs were only about $20 if you got them at the absolute highest price. You could usually get them cheaper. Second, the cost of the materials has almost nothing to do with the cost of a CD, and that "argument" is one of the very worst I've ever seen. It would make sense if record labels were selling blank CDs, but in actuality CDs have content (music) on them. That music takes money to produce. There are the main performers, songwriters, producer(s), engineer(s), studio owners, etc., to say nothing of the business/marketing components. This was even more true in the 80s and 90s when music production was way more expensive than it is now (and now, music is cheaper, so...)

damn.

quoted for emphasis

Also, fuck cnet:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-57360269-52/how-to-access-wikipedia-during-its-sopa-blackout/

The whole point of the blackout is to spread education of what sopa and pipa are. Fuck Cnet

So I spent a good portion of an half and hour getting up to speed on this Thread. I found it interesting that Cnet was mentioned on the 18th (although once)

correct me if i'm in the wrong place but...

Has anyone heard the argument that CBS/Viacom and some of the main supporters on SOPA/PIPA were the major distributors of the software?

so kazaa, lime wire, Morpheus where distributed by Cnet (CBS viacom) and it's co-branded websites (AOL, Microsoft, Disney) and from there, they energetically showed and encouraged people to download copyrighted songs for free (breaking copyright law).

this happened over the course of approximately a decade late 90's - mid 2000's.

I, personally, agree that these companies are liable for the "losses" of the artists and companies involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

here's a YouTube video it's about 15mins long and the guy is pretty annoying but he's got some great points and back his points up with some convincing evidence. tell me what do you think of the idea.

So apparently the bills have been indefinitely postponed.

How does this change anything? Doesn't 'postponed' imply that they will come back?

Kinda like the backstory to an RPG where the evil isn't decisively killed, just sealed away for 1,000 years until all is forgotten and it becomes legend.

Not to worry; in 3012 a young politician with pointy ears and a green hat will destroy SOPA once and for all (PIPA will be the optional sidequest SUPERBOSS) and reunite the 54 states.

A couple of months ago, I was listening to a Diggnation podcast that discussed Netflix. They said since the introduction of instant streaming, statistics showed a significant decrease of downloaded films/T.V.

Let's hope Netflix's experiment of making their own content will pay off, because if it does, it will really start shifting gears.

And of course, watch all the cable/satellite companies get all pissy about it.

Maddox: "I Hope SOPA Passes"

compelling perspective

I've said the same thing for a while now. I was ready to flip shit over and torch stuff wherever people were engaging in said activities. I wanted SOPA to pass and incite millions to rock the system so that the government might once again fear the people and remember that their role is to be subservient to the people, not to subjugate, not to expand endlessly. The entire American population that doesn't sit on a corporate board is disenfranchised. On their own, the politicians certainly won't unshittify a corrupt, kickback-driven system that they themselves sculpted out of their own shitty greed. Really, something damn near a revolution is going to have to happen to dislodge business interests from political interests.

/rant!

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

This means we can overthrow the government, right?

Yes, and this is why I always laugh when people say it's "un-American" to not support the government. Doesn't get much more patriotic than following the words of the second paragraph of the Declaration, I say.

Most Americans are extremely out of touch with the values our country was founded on, that's why something like the NDAA can pass and there is no real outrage. There's no sense of how badly the government is overstepping its bounds until it's far, far too late.

• 2 years later...

so once again the issue of net neutrality is at threat in america atm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/11/10/obama-to-the-fcc-adopt-the-strongest-possible-rules-on-net-neutrality-including-title-ii/

so i gotta admit its pretty cool the prez wants the net to stay free but unfortunately i know there was a vote about a week or so ago for you americans and from the average of what i know of the views of the american population hate obama, so im guessing alot who did vote voted against him? idk much about the way politics work there.

either way ive been informed that the guy that has control of whether net neutrality happens is in the fcc was either a previously at a cable company or was paid off by one.

all i wanted to do was reinforce the idea for you guys that we need to fight for net neutrality AGAIN.

for those of you who are american to contact your state politicians and vote yes for net neutrality.

and do your best to be MORE informed than i am.

edit: and because he wants it to become a utility if we win this time, it'l be the last fight we do.

net neutrality will be here to stay and you won't have to fight for it again

Companies won't be able to unfairly price you either, since it'll be regulated and equal for everyone

Edited by psychowolf