"Out Of Control" (like Dubstep, but not...)

MC Ardle

I'm kinda confused about where you'd rather we post feedback, but I decided posting it in the forum was good.

I would recommend continuing development on this. I like it in general. Here are some things I think you can do to get closer to the effect that you're looking for.

1. Dynamic use of filters. Filters are your friends. =) I've heard the bass in dubstep sometimes change the level on the low pass filter pretty dynamically. Maybe you could change the cutoff and resonance levels on each note. Play with it. Maybe even changing the filter level at double the rate of the bass rhythm... as in if the bass is doing 1/8 notes, see if it works to change the filter at 1/16 intervals.

2. For a more "dubsteppy" sound, you need some more percussion. I see what you're going for with the straight 4 bass drum on section A there, and then more syncopation on the B section. I think that approach might achieve what you're looking for, but you can push it further than you have it so far. You might want to consider working on that. It sounds like so far you are just straight up letting the percussion samples/instruments play as they are. What's missing is the distortion effects, slicing, granulating, or more filter effects that are more typical of that glitchy dubstep thing you're going for.

3. The vocals! Is that you? Thank god you sound good, because the hard part here would be trying to sing in pitch if you can't already! Process the vocals too, man. Push it. Use a vocoder, those are hella fun. Or add effects to dehumanize the voice a little. Certainly don't be afraid to slice the vocal sample up into little pieces and play them like a drum solo... changing the filter cutoff, panning, velocity, or whatever for each note.

In other words, nice, but to get that glitchy thing you're aiming for, you have to kind of remix it. That's all I got!

note: I am by no means an expert on dubstep... or anything, really. Just saying it like I hear it.