OCR01368 - Bust a Groove "Bust This Groove '81"

djpretzel

hahahahahah this song is awesome. When the chorus came in the first time, it was like I couldn't escape it. "I'm here to bust this groove." Its like I'm on mission. Great work on this mix and props to your cousin for the vox. Maybe its just because of the genre of this particular mix, but you mentioned you didn't have the best recording equipment - it sounds fine to me. Sure it could sound better but don't sweat it.

Thank you for propagating the funk.

(...)However, one really can't make any major complaints on the production here - everything is mixed and mastered pleasantly, and even the normally-hated FL Slayer is used well.(...)

I´m confused about the FL Slayer´s quality (The awful guitar). In "The Devil Inside (Italo Disco Mix)", AkumajoBelmont used FL Slayers too. Well, I always hate this guitar for some reason. However "Funky Bookas" did a clean instrumentation with that.

But this ReMix is still great. The singer did a great job. Herself is the most powerful thing going here. Sweet.

Yeah, I too ain't much of a fan of Slayer either but he's used it well to match to the authentic Donna Summer-esque sound. :) Nonetheless, being a big fan of the game during my early teens I was instantly inspired to download it. "Blue Knife", or Kitty-N's theme as djp called it, is one of the coolest songs I heard in a dancing game and it still stands up today.

The mix is basically the VGMix version with some extra production polish. I've noticed that with some stronger knowledge on EQing since its initial release as well as some fuller/thicker sounds that have been emphasised by the instruments here. However the quirks with the synthetic sample programming, as shown by elements like the strings at the start and the brass ensemble, still remain from the elder version and I was hoping for something stronger to face there. But knowing Robbie he's set to track down for some stronger equipment in his future work, so that's cool to know. For now the tech settings are just fine to absorb, especially for something as upbeat as this.

Like I said, the composition's the same as the VGMix version, so I'll quote that part of my review there back here for full emphasis.

Composition sequence

The track started off with an intro that makes me think of soul music from the 1970s given the light and romantic progressions that have started out to begin with. I am fond of the piano progression work down the line, which has worked in the general setting of the mix in its entirety here. Even though I felt the bass was a bit minimalist to begin with, it has still worked to fit in the context of the genre - a very interesting intro.

And it's at 0:31 that the basic pulse of the track kicks into full swing - mind, I was hoping for the transition in this part to be smoother, but most of those thoughts relating to those aspects are erased when Steph's vocals come through at 0:46. Now her voice has managed to fit the general mood behind the piece, while doing well to familiarize the listener with the source in an instant. So far we're seeing promise here, so that's good.

The second verse has managed to make its way through at 1:37, and it is here that the general vocals here are much different than what was provided in the game soundtrack itself, if not being a translation of some of the Japanese version's lyrics. There has also been some good interest with deviating upon the background progressions here, which have worked in providing some further interest to the pop music structure. Although I seem to hope for the general structure to not quite mimic too much of what has already been granted in the first verse this is still very cool work all around.

At 2:30 the synth guitar solo has made its way into the piece, and I feel the general progressions may end up making or breaking the audience. I for one thought the composition behind that aspect has worked well to provide a strong break to easily help satisfy the audience throughout. However I feel it could have had some expression/varied velocities to aid it in making this feel more realistic and/or climatic in general, but otherwise the progressions have worked well while leading all the way through to the return of the vocals at 2:59.

And then there came the key change at 3:08, all in time for the final chorus progressions. While the transition was shown to be a bit sudden the general structures here have worked well to wrap up the track nicely, and with some light variation upon the original lyrics too (e.g. "now our love is purified") this has worked well to show a more creative scope all around. I was hoping that the ending structure wasn't the same type of structure that rounded off the other choruses in the piece, but otherwise it has still worked its purpose in providing a highly enjoyable finish all the way through.

Looking briefly at the judges' decisions I have seen that they absolutely loved it and wanted something to grant the game justice, which I think Robbie has done successfully. :D I also noticed that there were some light quirks towards licenced music. Having been into the game I can assure you now that the songs strictly relate to the characters at hand (especially the themes for Kelly and Capoeira), so I don't think that the songs were created in advanced by highly-acclaimed J-pop musicians. I was concerned that its pop music like format may make this mix struggle past the panel, but apparantly not.

Nonetheless, it's great to see this mix has a home, and I still heart you for it, skipper. Well done on another success, and best of luck with getting your DarXide mix past the panel too :D

wow! 2 nice vocal remixes in a row:)

this one is HOT!

this girl has such a sweet-sexy-sensual-voice!!!! ;)

it's the main feature you'll remember from the song but I'd like to also point out the excellent job with the music itself! you're very good with the while 80's feeling!

this feels so much like a made-for-radio song! i'd have NO problem listening to this in a (VERY retro or course lol) party:)

oh by the way the beginning sounds so much like Upside-Down (the version I have is from Salt-N-Pepa from the Space Jam soundtrack) :P

anyway great job on this one! can't wait to hear more from you and your sweet cousin;)

I give this piece a hell yes.

And since everyone is commenting on the key change, I'll add my two cents and say that I got jarred a bit as well. It's not so much that it came at an inappropriate time or anything, but it just didn't go to a key that seemed appropriate in relation to the one before it. Maybe if there had been some bass or melody lead into it during the transition measure (which is AWOL), that probably would have softened it. Enough of that.

This track rocks my socks. I have no idea why you did so much apologizing in your submission email. :) Keep bringing the hot beats.

I love this remix. I can't stop listening to it.

the music is nice (althought nothing special), but vocal work is MARVELLOUS (yes, in capitals!).

that girl come out from a dream or something similar.

her voice is so nice and sweet...

btw, back to music. everything is well orchestrated here. no instruments are played at random, and I like also the key change, there's nothing wrong with it.

surely a professional product.

Vote: 30/30 (right now, this is the only remix that get the maximum score from me)

edit: btw, lyrics for this one?

Here's the Lyrics:

Boy, you're everything I'll ever need.

Oh boy, you know you mean the world to me.

oh I could never see you-

- i'm blinded by the blue...

I would never ever run away;

I'll be here to fight another day.

I will make you realise,

I'll always be right by your side.

Now our love is sanctified-

-I'm here to bust this groove.

Boy, we're stronger now than ever before.

cause' boy, i realise there's so much more.

take me up to heaven-

-like a knife in the blue...

I will make you realise,

Now our love is sanctified-

*solo*

take my hand and forever-

-a night in the blue...

I just can't live without you now.

I'll be here to find another way;

gonna see it through, no matter how.

I will make you realise,

Now our love is purified-

<3 I hate this kind of song. But I love this song? It makes no sense! Normally I know exactly why I find a song appealing and can describe why in great detail. But I don't know why I love this song! Why? WHY?? Maybe it is because it is so happy. Or maybe because that female lead has such a sexy singy voice. I don't know!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01368 - Bust a Groove "Bust This Groove '81"