YannickJason - Anthem of Adventure

YannickJason

• 1 month later...

Alright let me take a crack at this...

Pretty cool song. I like the concept! It starts slow and serious, and progresses to a more intense atmosphere. Very Cool!

As with your Splash Woman mix, while the arrangement of the song is great, production is where there are dents. The drums IMO is much better than your other mix, but glance over it again and try to make it sound more natural (i.e. like it didn't come from Ye Olde Drum Machine store).

Electronic instruments are fine, and since your not submitting to OCR you don't have to worry about others being judgemental about your choice. Nice orchestral strings, too. The bass could sound more natural, but it's decent as is. There was an instrument (I'm guessing electric guitar) from 0:40 until 1:40 that kind of sounds like a metal guitar being aborted. Either replace it with something better, find another instrument, or delete it entirely.

Good mixing, yet again, will drastically improve this. Just make sure that the appropriate instruments have the right amount of prominence. Some of your percussion instruments tended to have too much attention where the electronic and strings should have stood out.

Hope you can apply this to your other songs. Good luck with the album!

EDIT: Damn you, ninja master Modus!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to agree with Nonamer on the point of the drums being not very natural. It's mostly notable in the beginning but not so much later on in the mix. I think what might fix it is if you vary the velocity of the notes more and slightly miss-align some of them/humanize it. Maybe give it more of a dynamic range? The crashes sound kind of weak too. Maybe layer it with some others or pull up the volume or turn down everything else and let the tail drag a little longer perhaps. The backing strings sound too quiet in the mix. Maybe experiment with compression on different instruments to make it sound more full. I think the kick could have more of a punch too. Maybe try layering it with another and EQ'ing and compressing. All of these things are pretty minor though. The song sounds full and almost finished. My favorite part is at 3:24. I love the drums and synth you used there.

I like how it slows down in the :38 mark and then takes off! I really like the bass melody too. It's a fun song :) I hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
I'd have to agree with Nonamer on the point of the drums being not very natural. It's mostly notable in the beginning but not so much later on in the mix. I think what might fix it is if you vary the velocity of the notes more and slightly miss-align some of them/humanize it. Maybe give it more of a dynamic range? The crashes sound kind of weak too. Maybe layer it with some others or pull up the volume or turn down everything else and let the tail drag a little longer perhaps. The backing strings sound too quiet in the mix. Maybe experiment with compression on different instruments to make it sound more full. I think the kick could have more of a punch too. Maybe try layering it with another and EQ'ing and compressing. All of these things are pretty minor though. The song sounds full and almost finished. My favorite part is at 3:24. I love the drums and synth you used there.

I like how it slows down in the :38 mark and then takes off! I really like the bass melody too. It's a fun song :) I hope that helps.

Thanks! I think I might just take out the into and use it in another song though... I've reworked the beginning and tried something new with the EQ.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Want to drop by and say I'm really liking this.

I'm not sure if you're planning on changing this (like a final master or something), but I do want to say:

That first lead synth you bring in might be a little too loud, maybe try lowering the volume and beefing it up with another lead synth on top of it? If you can.

Other than that I like this. The drums are a little on the weak side in terms of mixing, but I think they sound good like that, like something you'd hear on an RPG or something. I really dig this song. Great writing in pretty much all aspects of the song.

• 1 month later...
Want to drop by and say I'm really liking this.

I'm not sure if you're planning on changing this (like a final master or something), but I do want to say:

That first lead synth you bring in might be a little too loud, maybe try lowering the volume and beefing it up with another lead synth on top of it? If you can.

Other than that I like this. The drums are a little on the weak side in terms of mixing, but I think they sound good like that, like something you'd hear on an RPG or something. I really dig this song. Great writing in pretty much all aspects of the song.

Thanks so much! Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, this one definitely needs a bit more tweaking before release