OCR01369 - Kirby's Adventure "Cosmic Transformations"

djpretzel

Adhesive_Boy is one of the ReMixers that I admire. He is great. This song is an example of what he can do. This is full of life and technique. The song keep an excellent variation of effects and instruments. Very electronic and industrial arrangement. This trash is an inspiration. Really great job!!

Also, I´m happy to see this project finally finished. Congratulations to everybody involved there.

The description of that feeling when playing Kirby's Adventure...oh man. Yeah you knew it was only a matter of time before an enemy slammed into you and made you lose the coveted UFO power...but then you grabbed a Backdrop, and it was all good. Kirby music is some of my all time favorite, so I naturally love this track, but it's a good cover of the original piece and conveys the Kirby-esque feeling very nicely. Nice work!

I rarely write these things so the fact that I'm actually commenting on a mix shows just how awesome it is. ;)

Epic and bouncy, to describe in a few words; this track convinced me of the necessity to burn the whole collection to CD.

Now to just get the rest of the family out of the house long enough to enjoy it with the sub up all the way. :D

It is weird, but it all sounds so spontaneous and natural. He really capitalizes on the catchiest parts of the song big time too, I like how a lot of the weird stuff steps out of the way a bit so that its even easier for that part to get stuck in your head? Like at 1'02 and 1'22 (1'22 would have to be my favorite part)

Even though it is a very similar sound, I actually used a Malstrom preset from Reason with distortion that I messed around with a little bit, and the distortion is the "digital" mode of the scream distortion that sounds very reminiscent of NES sound fx and the thing you posted.

Also, I was thinking about this earlier, and I've decided to just go ahead and post the Reason rns file for this mix. Everything that's in the mix is there except it's unmastered and the drums unfortunately won't work unless you have this old "linkpage vol. 1" refill that I don't even remember where I got. I put it up on my server, which is not incredibly reliable but works most of the time:

EDIT: sorry, I don't have my server any longer so the link doesn't work :(

(If it tries to save the file as a zip, just change to save as all files and type in kirby.rns). Enjoy, and thanks again for the reviews!

I like the distorted drums, however, they fade in and out a little too much for me. Samples were for the most part good, with the exception of the flute. There's flute in that part of the original too I believe, and I think I would have changed to a different instrument/sound based on all the background and sound effects going on but its all personal choice. The arrangement was interesting, transitions were done well most of the time to get the effect of rapidly transforming into new things. The mix is rather centered around two chords a lot of the time, but with all the other changes it's tolerable. A nice rainbow of colors.

This song remind me of why Kirby, dipite his apperance, kicks major ace! If you think about it, it kinda does reminds me of owning the whole level as UFO Kirby... too bad you cant be UFO outside the level. This (and the other songs on Rise of the Star) is and excelent mix. It sounds kid-ish but it fits Kirby perfectly. GOOD WORK

So I finally played the game, and now I've managed to understand the compositional beauty behind this :D This is a very interesting incorporation of the Ice Cream Islands theme that has showed a very energetic and spacious feel to the Lil Traveller theme, and something I can associate with the world of powerups across the Kirby universe.

I did write a brief comment upon the project's release, and now it's time I went full on here. Hope you don't mind?

---

Remix

From the moment the flute came in, I am familiarized greatly with the source material, so that can say it has managed to fit as a Kirby arrangement well enough. For most of its duration the execution is very strong and well planned out; got a similar grungy feel to Braving the Flames but I dig it. It can be argued that some of the backing synths at 0:50 seemed a bit on the dissonant side but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. There is a heck of a lot of variation on the theme, and that has been shown by changing the key on the second half of which as well as a good amount of playing around with the rhythms second time through. The structuring is also pretty interesting; while some may feel to be a bit sudden, I feel that they have incorporated the feel of the many "transformations" that Kirby has gone through within the game, so I can associate with much of the artistic visions as shown in this. In terms of standing alone, this has to be one of the strongest mixes within the project hands down, and it's for more than just the execution factor; a great amount of creativity and pure heart being placed upon the creation has easily aided to create a very interesting piece overall.

Creativity

Much of the creativity - and in turn, most of the elements that have breathed life into the song - are shown on the technical emphasis behind most of the track sub-sections, and even here I appreciate much of the change of moods shown throughout as well as the change of progressions at 3:23; that added well enough to emphasize on a climatic feel at its right time in the mix. The segments link together fairly well here; some may argue that there could be too much going on to make them transition well, but myself I am fitting strongly on AB's artistic side being expressed just as much as its presentation. The variety of moods has also added to a lot of fresh pacing throughout, so it can be said that no two areas sound the same. That in turn has also affected much of the repetition factor; I can barely find any in this piece whatsoever, and so it has been able to focus well enough to entertain its audience. So given what has been shown in this side of the contribution, I loved a great deal of what managed to come through the adaptation, and can easily see it as fitting for the Lil' Traveller title.

Production

Most of the samples are pretty impressive and fitting for what we come to see with his work; I can't say I was too down with the flute choice here, but there's still just as much interesting sounds to help it blend in just fine. Even here the range of EQs and processes are very brash and clear as well as aiding towards the different types of ambience as shown throughout the piece, so I can say it has stood well to make it fitting. Even the sound levels are well rounded for an AB mix, so I can't sense much wrong on that aspect. One thing that did rub me the wrong way though was the panning; while there's some strong positioning techniques going throughout the track, some of the techniques in the opening and closing stages seemed to feel a little bit uneasy. Going towards the opening I dig the pan shift techniques upon the psychedelic pad FX in the background, adding to that cosmic feel towards the arrangement, but it can be argued that either the panning range should be a bit smaller to fit with the sound balance or should be a bit faster to even it out. And as for the closure, the ending music box was a cool thing to use although I think it might have helped with some stereo ambience to better add towards the feel of its current situation. Nonetheless this is still mightily impressive stuff; not quite seen as his best tech approach but it's definitely interesting, and a great way to come back after his stellar contributions in Relics of the Chozo and Kong in Concert.

---

The entire project has got some good stuff to listen to, and it's good to see we have some established mixers on the scene coming back to fill the spots out there. Choosing AB's mix as the first single from is is a big step, and it works for creating a variative and interesting feel towards its audience, especially within the earlier half of the album. Any quirks some people point out may be preferences, although for me they work to create a very epic mix for the site to take in.

If there will be any more singles from the Kirby project, I'll be glad. If there will be more mixes from AB, I'll also be glad. Nonetheless, props to making this mix work out :D

Wow , this piece . It has everything to make it a great AB piece. Very tight drumwork , trippy sounds and an excellent flow and pacing. In my opinion this is one of the more overlooked pieces from ROTS. I love the breakdown at 3:02. Very ambient and very well done. It's like getting hit with a wall of sound falling down and slowly getting back up (at 3:11)The bassline is also very well done. It does a great job of getting things moving and grooving. It's an acid trip of a mix. What more can be said? It's a keeper.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

really nice textural shifts in this one, anchored by that huge bass sound. I think the drums are a bit much; the volume could come down a bit on them and i'd like things better. Flute is pretty unmodulated, but the pads and synths are classy. I liked the pitched percussion as well, adding a nice texture and lightheartedness to the otherwise badass beats. I wish the source melody was a little more adventurous, as it seems kindof vanilla (get it? ice cream reference). There's enough done to keep interest for the track's duration though.

Not really grabbing me and demanding my attention, but well put together.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01369 - Kirby's Adventure "Cosmic Transformations"