Best 100 NES themes as voted by the Shizz

OceansAndrew

I only played silver surfer because of the avgn review of the game

the only thing that kept me going was the music,

pretty much the best music i had heard from any game before hand so im glad it made number 3, but really theres too many castlevania megaman themes in this to be an accurate list.

SILVER SURFER FOR NUMBER 1

Come on is that not fucking OBVIOUS????

Seriously tho, I'd guessed what number one would be as soon as I opened the thread. Way for being overally typical with that theshizz, but I'm so happy Silver Surfer at least came top 5. That soundtrack is so underrated it hurts.

Given a popular vote, it's an obvious choice really for the top spot. I could sit there and explain to somebody how "Generic Obscure Metal Band" is far superior to "Generic Pop Act of this month" but there isn't anything to say that it actually is.

If the greatness of something is ordained by the masses then regardless of personal preference there is obviously something to it. Strip away any technical brilliance or lack of and it all comes down to just what track sticks with the listener more.

At the end of it, the "typical" choice is usually the right one whether a person happens to agree or not. It wouldn't be my number one but I certainly understand why it is number one.

Given a popular vote, it's an obvious choice really for the top spot. I could sit there and explain to somebody how "Generic Obscure Metal Band" is far superior to "Generic Pop Act of this month" but there isn't anything to say that it actually is.

If the greatness of something is ordained by the masses then regardless of personal preference there is obviously something to it. Strip away any technical brilliance or lack of and it all comes down to just what track sticks with the listener more.

At the end of it, the "typical" choice is usually the right one whether a person happens to agree or not. It wouldn't be my number one but I certainly understand why it is number one.

I disagree. Typical vote usually comes down to popular vote, and people don't vote for the best tracks on the whole system overall. They vote for the best tracks on the system they will know of. I'm not saying MM2s Wily stage theme isn't good - it is - but because MM2 was a popular game to start off with, that helps increase the awareness of the track overall. Silver Surfer however, I am willing to bet was unknown to the masses until AVGN reviewed it, and even now, its under appreciated. Thats not the fault of the music, thats the fault of the game itself not being popular. I think most people would agree that Silver Surfers compositional creativity with the hardware is more unique and thus sticks out better, but Mega Man has better melodic content. This is irrelevant however because more people would say MM2 simply because they haven't heard the silver surfer theme before.

Mega Man is a popular as fuck game franchise with iconic tracks for the system, therefore its safer to go with a familiar series for number 1. That doesn't make it the right choice, but the typical choice.

For the record i'm not saying that Silver Surfer is the best on the nes. I haven't heard every track on the nes, but my point for going with a familar Nes track still stands. I doubt anyone would put something obscure like a Shadow of the Ninja track at 1 for example, even if they thought it was the best.

I disagree. Typical vote usually comes down to popular vote, and people don't vote for the best tracks on the whole system overall. They vote for the best tracks on the system they will know of. I'm not saying MM2s Wily stage theme isn't good - it is - but because MM2 was a popular game to start off with, that helps increase the awareness of the track overall. Silver Surfer however, I am willing to bet was unknown to the masses until AVGN reviewed it, and even now, its under appreciated. Thats not the fault of the music, thats the fault of the game itself not being popular. I think most people would agree that Silver Surfers compositional creativity with the hardware is more unique and thus sticks out better, but Mega Man has better melodic content. This is irrelevant however because more people would say MM2 simply because they haven't heard the silver surfer theme before.

Mega Man is a popular as fuck game franchise with iconic tracks for the system, therefore its safer to go with a familiar series for number 1. That doesn't make it the right choice, but the typical choice.

For the record i'm not saying that Silver Surfer is the best on the nes. I haven't heard every track on the nes, but my point for going with a familar Nes track still stands. I doubt anyone would put something obscure like a Shadow of the Ninja track at 1 for example, even if they thought it was the best.

Then that does it... we need to find 100 people who've never heard a single NES tune before 8)

Favorites list *yawn*

this isn't really accurate. It's more of a very complex poll. You had to listen to 45 seconds of each track rated, and over 7000 tracks were rated. Only a few people made it through the entire amount, but they're also the ones doing most of the reviews.

In fact in the reviews, you can see the DISDAIN for the fact that it's so heavy on CV and MM. Their reviews for the top track do not solidify that it IS the best NES track ever, but that it just happens to be the most popular. This isn't a favorites list, it's more of the results of a poll, for better or for worse.

Yeah, after I first heard The Silver Surfer's music a month ago, I made a delusional impulse buy thinking that my $3 spent at the used games store would somehow percolate into the pockets of the Follin brothers. I think that's called the trickle-down effect.

... and yes, the music in that game is, in fact, the most complex & hardware-bending on the console. Willrock is right, however, that it's melodic content isn't as apparent as that of more iconic themes like, oh, everything from every NES MM game.

No, we need to find a bunch of people who are willing to listen to the soundtracks of the many NES games they've never played before.

I imagine the majority of us do that anyway. There are probably very few people that have played half of the games mentioned.

Would you believe that I have never played a Megaman game before? Because I haven't. But I still like the music.

I imagine the majority of us do that anyway. There are probably very few people that have played half of the games mentioned.

My own experiences say the opposite. So many times, I've read people saying they won't listen to a remix of a game they've never played, or listen to a game's soundtrack for the same reason. That reason, as I've seen it put, is that there's no nostalgia factor for them... that they have no connection to it. Meanwhile, a considerable majority of those who played NES games, have played the MegaMan games, the Castlevania games, the Zelda games (except me), the Contras, etc.

Again, this is from my own experiences.

Was The Guardian Legend in the polls? :neutral: I find the music to be awesome, personally. It's not the most complicated, but it does its job well.

I doubt we'll see this game anywhere else except for emulators, though. :sad:

How could I forget that - that game was a childhood favorite of mine, well ahead of its time. Amazing game with amazing music.