A Final Fantasy VI Album?

darkknight

I can understand wanting coherence between songs but when you're making a community album, the point is to have everyone's unique vision and sound of their work. That's how I feel anyway. Even if every song was orchestral or something of that nature, they'd still use different samples and levels of articulation, and volume. I just feel like if you're going for coherence in that way you should do it yourself, if you're making a community thing then you should embrace everyone's differences and strengths.

But an album for the community doesn't have to stick to a singular formula - that would be uninteresting to me at least quite frankly. The variety of methods on how things are done keeps things fresh. For example, as much as I'd like it at times, I don't think I would like every album to be directed by me :lol: . Sure, you'd be assured of a certain quality barometer, but there will always be things that people will complain about in how I run things I'm sure. Who is to say someone else can't do it better, or even more artsy - I absolutely love how prophetik handled Threshold with Link's Awakening, and it probably would've taken me a while to decide to approach an album like that. It stands unique on OCR, and it had some heavy genre restrictions (which WillRock is bothered with to this day :-P ).

This notion of a "community album" sounds like a personal fantasy of how an album for the community should be done, and that's fine if that's how you want to approach things, but I disagree with restricting how they're done in that respect.

But an album for the community doesn't have to stick to a singular formula - that would be uninteresting to me at least quite frankly. The variety of methods on how things are done keeps things fresh. For example, as much as I'd like it at times, I don't think I would like every album to be directed by me :lol: . Sure, you'd be assured of a certain quality barometer, but there will always be things that people will complain about in how I run things I'm sure. Who is to say someone else can't do it better, or even more artsy - I absolutely love how prophetik handled Threshold with Link's Awakening, and it probably would've taken me a while to decide to approach an album like that. It stands unique on OCR, and it had some heavy genre restrictions (which WillRock is bothered with to this day :-P ).

This notion of a "community album" sounds like a personal fantasy of how an album for the community should be done, and that's fine if that's how you want to approach things, but I disagree with restricting how they're done in that respect.

I dunno why you interpreted restrictions from what I was saying, I thought I was expressing the opposite. Encouraging the differences artists bring to the table. o.O

Next album I'm running, if ever, is gonna be a single disc's worth of music with a similar mood or sound. Relics is still among the best albums ocr has ever put together because of its cohesive feel. On the flip side, Kong in Concert and EOBLOR are also among the best.

It's silly to think anyone is saying there's only one best way to do an album project on ocr, and I hope nobody actually thinks that. It all depends on the concept, source material, and the people involved. Put ocr's chipfolks on an album and it'll sound cohesive. Put the big orchestral names on it, same thing. While details of sound (eg consistency in reverb, a complaint I heard about Chrono Symphonic) might vary, you'd still end up with a pretty consistent album.

Behemoths drain so much energy and makes it hard for the director to keep it consistent. The variations ppl have brought to the sd3 project have expanded it from my unrealistic narrow-ish vision/guideline, and I think it's better for it, but I still feel that without the "no excessive unts/glitch/chip" guideline it'd be less of a mosaic of deviations from my guidelines and more of a cacophony of genres and styles.

Then again, musical omnivores might not care.