SURVEY: Top 10 NES Soundtracks

orandze

Hey, all! I'm working on a web page that lists the top ten soundtracks for NES games, and I'm looking for some input. I've played a lot of games in my time, and I've written and studied a lot of music, but I know I haven't played everything, and I definitely haven't studied everything, so I'm turning to this community full of experts. I'd like to hear your top ten picks, or at least one or two, and some reasons why. For instance, "Hip" Tanaka's Metroid soundtrack was fantastic because of the immersive ambience he was able to create using minimalistic but developmental melodies and harmonies.

Anyone that provides an original opinion backed up by bulletproof reasoning will be given credit on the page, including a link to the website of their choice (portfolio, personal website, profile page, etc).

Thanks!

@Proto-Dome, Thanks so much for that link! I'm not a regular forum-goer here, so I didn't know that existed. It's very useful.

@AngelCityOutlaw, Wonderful pick, and some great reasoning! I always have loved the Castlevania series. I'd be glad to refer you on my page. Please PM with with the details you'd like me to use (name/alias and link).

• 2 weeks later...

Castlevania III is the game that first interested me in VG music when I was young, so I'm glad to see that sitting on top (from an ignorant and biased standpoint - as I haven't heard an overwhelming number of soundtracks).

However, in your list you've titled it Castlevania III - Dracula's Quest....

EDIT: Also, the songs in the youtube medley aren't technically for the NES. They're from the the Japanese equivalent on the Famicom.

Great info, everyone. Thanks for the links too! I'll definitely be putting the theory stuff up soon, so check back in a week or so. I just need to kick myself to get on it.

I do remember fixing the mistake of putting "Castlevania II: Simon's Curse" but I didn't catch the other one. Thanks for letting me know! It's fixed now :)