PRC208 - 8th Anniversary (Free Round)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 208

PRCv8-26

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

Last PRC was probably the worst ever. No songs, no bonus mixes and no winner. Time for Revenge.

This PRC is an anniversary edition, already the eight in the PRC history.

PRC208.jpg

Free Round

All songs are allowed as source this PRC, except songs which has an OC Remix, and songs which has been covered on PRC before. There's one exception, the source of last PRC, Warlords III: Darklords Rising - Final Victory. If you remix that, you even get a three points bonus. Of course remixing a different source is fine, but you don't get the bonus in that case. Alex Smith is allowed to do this as well.

The source list for PRC182 still counts, you can find it at http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC182

Check if the sources are covered on OCR/PRC, if that's the case the source is not allowed (so Maga Man IV (GB) - Dr. Wily's Stage 1 is not allowed)

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit.

When you are not able to login, don't click on the 'click here to submit an entry' button, but click on the 'you are not logged in' button on the right top of the screen.

When you cannot visit the ThaSauce page (and get an amazing movie of Emma Watson, you probably are using Internet Explorer. Try to open the page a few times, or use a different browser (like Google Chrome or Firefox). That should work. When you still have the problem, it's fine to upload the song somewhere else and post a link in this thread (and vote by sending me a PM). Sorry, but ThaSauce seems to be not able to solve this problem.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes).
  2. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 21st at 10:59 am ThaSauce time: check my signature (below) or the ThaSauce page for the exact time left.
  3. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can post it in the thread if that doesn't work.
  4. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  5. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

The PRC182 link is an admin link.

I'd really like to participate, of course there's no time.. but I've often participated on PRCs regardless. 8)

--Eino

Thanks for reporting, it's fixed now.

Time is a big issue for many (including me). I hope there are still some people who find some time. PRC203 was the last PRC with a voting stage.

I hope at least some songs appear.

I'm thinking about the future of this contest, since PRC204 not many songs appeared. Still, I want to continue the contest, because in the past it happened before that there where circa five rounds with only one song. But last round for the first time a PRC happened without any songs, and even in an anniversary edition, no songs before the last day of that round are up.

I might extend the deadline of this round with a few weeks and start the next PRC round next year.

When more rounds appear with not any songs in the next year, I might consider to put the contest on a stop (because I don't have an overflow of time as well). If anyone has great ideas, let me know. Something must happen.

Future indeed doesn't seem bright, and it saddens me very much, because the clear goal of PRC to cover previously unarranged games is what made this compo so great and unique. Plus, the spirit of camaraderie and mutual growth present in every round I was able to enter made it all the more enjoyable.

But at the same time, arranging obscure titles is proly what discourages most people looking for exposure through their remixes, as giant compos like the GRMRB have demonstrated. As painful as it is to admit, it seems that exploring new soundtracks for the fun of arranging isn't appealing anymore for most people.

That said, if DoD can be immensely popular by having themed monthly compos that often cover lesser known games, then there's no reason why PRC couldn't.

Bundeslang, I think you just need to take a step back to find out what makes a competition popular, and rethink the approach as well as the promotion.

I'll be up to help cause I really do not want to watch another compo slowly fade away (r.i.p. ORC and ARC). Let's bring back the PRC to life! :-D

Yeah, this is a bit sad. I think PRC has brought the most new music out of me these past couple of years. Even though I can't participate nearly as much as I'd like, it's very important to me..

The concept of the compo is at the same time exciting, and very challenging. DjMokram has good insight.

Don't forget though, that the past season had one of the biggest rounds ever (unless I'm mistaken), UNATCO from Deus Ex. That was a load of fun.

Extending this one over the holiday season sounds like nice idea. Even I should find the time to participate. Plus it's a free round, no one can complain they couldn't find anything to work on. :D Also, it's like a little break at the same time.

--Eino

Yeah, this is a bit sad. I think PRC has brought the most new music out of me these past couple of years. Even though I can't participate nearly as much as I'd like, it's very important to me..

The concept of the compo is at the same time exciting, and very challenging. DjMokram has good insight.

Don't forget though, that the past season had one of the biggest rounds ever (unless I'm mistaken), UNATCO from Deus Ex. That was a load of fun.

Extending this one over the holiday season sounds like nice idea. Even I should find the time to participate. Plus it's a free round, no one can complain they couldn't find anything to work on. :D Also, it's like a little break at the same time.

--Eino

Yes, PLEASE extend it! I need motivation to turn this WIP into something I actually am cool with posting in Workshop :P but seriously, lots of people on here are in finals mode right now and extending it will allow them to participate.

I'm currently thinking about the future of the contest. I'll take some time for that. When PRC continues normally, the start of PRC209 will be next year.

The concept of PRC is already going on for eight years, so changing the concept means that it is not a PRC competition any more. Changing the concept is not an option, in that case I prefer starting a new contest above PRC in a different style.

This means that there's a possibility that this is the last PRC I'm doing, but I'm not sure about that. Main reason for probably stopping PRC at this moment is that there's a big possibility that in the future more rounds with no songs will appear, and I don't want the contest to die in that way. I prefer stopping now as seeing that. If I decide to stop it, but you want it to continue, you are free to take the contest over and continue it, but only if the concept doesn't change.

For this round, the deadline moves with two weeks, new deadline will be Wednesday 21st of December. Next week I'll decide what I'm going to do with the PRC.

What if the winner could choose not one, but up to three uncovered tracks (maybe so long as they're from the same game?) I don't often miss seeing a new PRC start, but if I'm not too busy to enter that week, usually the problem is I just can't get into the feel of the chosen song. Half the time I'll work on it a bit, lose the mood, and forget about it until the next one starts.

Having three to choose from might get a little more inspiration flowing. If one isn't working out, give the other two a shot, or find ways to combine them to build medley skills or something. If nothing else, it might get people to listen to more songs and find a little more appreciation for a game's soundtrack than just one snippet would offer.

@Binweasel: If not for the fact that sometimes people are struggling to find one song to remix, that could be a good idea.

Having options might make it easier to get started, but having to mash up sources will needlessly complicate the compo.

That's especially true for the folks not wanting to remix in the first place, simply because they aren't familiar with the game.

For those, whether there is one or five source to choose from isn't gonna matter. Only the game in question will.

And this issue is at the core of what's been plaguing the PRC for months: the lack of participation.

@Binweasel: If not for the fact that sometimes people are struggling to find one song to remix, that could be a good idea.

Having options might make it easier to get started, but having to mash up sources will needlessly complicate the compo.

That's especially true for the folks not wanting to remix in the first place, simply because they aren't familiar with the game.

For those, whether there is one or five source to choose from isn't gonna matter. Only the game in question will.

And this issue is at the core of what's been plaguing the PRC for months: the lack of participation.

What else can we do for people like that, though? They're going to be turned off by any PRC with an unfamiliar game anyway. For me, the prize of getting a chanceto pick the next song is worth fiddling around in unfamiliar territory. If that's not enough, what else can tempt people into it?

For everyone else, an extra option or two might just be the thing. You wouldn't have to mix them all together, same as when there's a tied round; you can do one or the other if you like.

Hmm... What if remixers who apply get to pick one game, and then there's a 2-3 day poll, where all the people interested in the next competition vote on the game? Then the winner gets to choose the track, like usual... But what if the winner doesn't like the game and any non-remixed tracks left in it... That's not a very good prize for them.

What if it's three songs from three different games, then? Something special would have to be thought up for tied compos...

What I like most about my earlier idea is it would make people listen to more songs from unfamiliar games to help them grow an appreciation for it, possibly. One of my favourite parts of PRC is listening to the midi or YouTube link at the start. I don't often like the songs, but I give them a chance. I wouldn't mind listening to a few more to see what else the game has to offer. And I'd love to show people more than just one gem from a rare game—I remember being rather torn about which one to pick from Dare to Dream.

And then, maybe, that opens up more ideas for anyone who has trouble picking a song when they win. "I didn't know [game] had so many cool tunes, I wonder what else there is... hey, this is a great one! Why hasn't anyone done this yet?" :-P

What else can we do for people like that, though?
Nothing really, because:
They're going to be turned off by any [...] unfamiliar game anyway.
Most people tend to stick with what they already know. That's the sad reality the PRC has to face.
For everyone else, an extra option or two might just be the thing. You wouldn't have to mix them all together, [...] you can do one or the other if you like.
I guess if you're not forced to mash'em up together then yeah, it's could probably work in a cool kind of way.
Hmm... What if remixers who apply get to pick one game, and then there's a 2-3 day poll, where all the people interested in the next competition vote on the game?
Sounds needlessly complicated for such a small-sized event. Plus, that would imply many people are interested in the compo, which isn't the case atm.
But what if the winner doesn't like the game and any non-remixed tracks left in it... That's not a very good prize for them.
I was under the impression that we weren't entering the PRC for the 'prize', but rather for the fun of exploring uncharted gaming territories. ;-)
What if it's three songs from three different games, then? Something special would have to be thought up for tied compos...
Try to imagine the headache this would give to our friendly compo organizer Bundeslang...
it would make people listen to more songs from unfamiliar games to help them grow an appreciation for it, possibly.
You will never get anyone to do or like anything by forcefully shoving it into their throat (or ears in this case).

If people are set on listening to Sonic or Final Fantasy, no amount of El Viento or Kickmaster in the world is gonna change that.

One of my favourite parts of PRC is listening to the midi or YouTube link at the start. I don't often like the songs, but I give them a chance.
Yeah, this is what I like the most as well. But as mentioned before, chance of people giving a try to a game they don't know are slim to begin with.
I'd love to show people more than just one gem from a rare game
Dude, that's my mission statement right here. Glad I'm not the only one in this boat. :)
hey, this is a great one! Why hasn't anyone done this yet?" :-P
This is an easy one: because people are way too busy arranging popular music from popular games they know and love. ;D

If anyone wants to remix a song with a source that has been covered already, it's fine for this round, especially when it's an almost 10 year old OC-Remix. But please don't come up with sources with already has 10+ remixes (like Ice Cap, MM3 Intro, MM2 Wily Stage etc.).

But I encourage not remixed songs.

Everyone else has been silent on whether or not they're still submitting something. The only final I have to take for school is on Wednesday and then I can get back to work on my entry, which will be submitted.

If anyone wants to remix a song with a source that has been covered already, it's fine for this round, especially when it's an almost 10 year old OC-Remix. But please don't come up with sources with already has 10+ remixes (like Ice Cap, MM3 Intro, MM2 Wily Stage etc.).

But I encourage not remixed songs.

Seriously, there are a LOT of gems out there that haven't been touched. Pick your favorite game with awesome music that hasn't been touched and see if you can find a MIDI. If not, just pick another obscure, unmixed song.

I don't even want to try anymore. But I will do a quick mix today just for morale.

edit: I actually almost got one done. Just have no clue on how to balancing the levels.

nvm, just realized although the mix is decent the song itself isnt really fun to listen too and arrangement issues..