OCR02334 - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "Skyward"

djpretzel

I was in a very angry and depressed mood when I downloaded and opened the 25YL album, and for some reason this track played first when I drag-selected and hit enter to add the files to my library. After about twenty or twenty-five seconds, as the song played, I ceased clicking and typing and sorting music and settled into a state of much-needed catharsis. 'Skyward' is beautiful.

This song is certainly peaceful. It elicits a nice calming mood from me when I least expected it. C418 does a great job with subtly bringing the background instruments in and out to enhance what would otherwise be a not so fancy piano performance. There is a slight bit of sloppiness in the piano playing, but otherwise everything works nicely. Even with that flaw the song works quite well and I love this piece despite not being familiar with the source.

I got this Zelda album three days after buying the bundle CD for skyward sword. I love listening to the original followed by C418's "Skyward". Soft, but powerful, this track is one of the highlights of the album. My only gripe is that it is a little conservative, but it doesn't destroy the track.

PS: I love Minecraft's music. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw that C418 had FINALLY become a posted OC Remixer, my heart literally did a somersault. I enjoyed a lot of his works for Minecraft, so I felt happy to see him join with the rest of the indie composer lineup for 25YEARLEGEND.

While the original "Ballad of the Goddess" was seen as a very dynamic piece of music, C418 on the other hand managed to take it in a more chilled direction bearing similarities to his Minecraft score. That to me is definitely not a bad thing; it to me defines his more heartfelt style, and to see it being realised here in this performance shows how much the series meant to him by paying tribute with the skills he gathered.

Of course, while it does play straightforward with the structure of the arrangement, a lot had been done towards the subtleties for the instruments surrounding the piano to give it a more realised and moving direction. The strings in particular felt rather lush and well utilised, and even the subtleties on the horns - though a little constant - managed to fill in some good space on the lower end. I did however hear a foot pedal being caught on during one of the breaks (which as a pianist myself is never a good sign when doing renders), but it could only be seen as a minor slip amongst an otherwise fitting atmosphere.

Regardless, well done again C418 for representing the indie community both with Minecraft and your links with other composers! Hopefully we'll get to see you grace OCR's hallowed halls again, whether it be others' mixes of your work or you doing more mixes yourself :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02334 - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "Skyward"