How To Set Up Kontakt In FL Studio

Hi I am having issues with kontakt. I have been using for over a year and all of the sudden every time I try to load ANY instrument I am having FL studio crash. My Kontakt 5 player is out date 5.0.1-------  the new version is 5.4.--------- I have updated and installed but it is not actually updating in my FL studio, only stand-alone.I have attempted to refresh my plugins, any ideas?

Hi I am having issues with kontakt. I have been using for over a year and all of the sudden every time I try to load ANY instrument I am having FL studio crash. My Kontakt 5 player is out date 5.0.1-------  the new version is 5.4.--------- I have updated and installed but it is not actually updating in my FL studio, only stand-alone.I have attempted to refresh my plugins, any ideas?

Did you install the VST in the installer settings? If you didn't install the VST along with the standalone in the update installer, then your Kontakt.dll in your VST folder is still the old Kontakt 5.0.1 program.

Re-run the installer, and make sure "VST" is checked when you are given options. You may have to completely uninstall Kontakt and reinstall it again, since the installer may flag your Kontakt as "already the latest version" and just immediately terminate.

Oh, so it's basically using the MIDI Out as a way to bypass the pitch bend limits and allow a MIDI CC edit? Alright then.

I know this is a necro response, but no; the pitch wheel in FL Studio plugins/wrappers is indeed the proper MIDI data for pitch modulation. Pitch is not a CC, it is simply its own thing in the MIDI standard.

Probably what I was thinking back then was that I couldn't right click directly on the Kontakt pitch wheel near the bottom of the wrapper and click something to allow linking to a controller.

Oh, the woes of a proprietary DAW automation system.

gol is as stubborn as ever these days, with completely redoing the VST import system and somehow making it worse at the same time; it's kind of funny if you think about it. You spend all these dev time and resources on something so good as making a lackluster part of your software new and contemporary... then you do that.

I'd hesitate to believe (because of gol's attitude) that FL will ever provide the MIDI automation transparency (no native mod wheel support? wtf?) that other DAW's have. Since having used Kontakt in Studio One a fair amount these days, I've realized that FL is just very, very poorly designed in terms of handling mult-channel samplers and such. The Layer tool presets make it better, where you only have to do all that stuff in the OP once, zip it into a Layer channel, then save that Layer channel preset. 

Loading the preset will instantiate a new Kontakt, the 16 MIDI-Outs, and all the routing stuff is preserved, so it's slightly better than loading a project template, because you can just drag it into a pre-existing project when you need it. You can even do it again if you want 16 more, but since the port number is also the same, you have to go in and change all the port numbers of the second instance.

Contrast this entire process, including the stuff in the OP, to Studio One, where setting up Kontakt in an empty project corresponds to hitting "Add New Track(s)", typing "16" in the amount, setting the plugin to "Kontakt" in the dropdown menu, and hitting "ascending" next to the input assignment. Hit "OK". 

Bam. 16 MIDI tracks sending into Kontakt. Go to the wrapper for Kontakt, and click all the checkboxes for the outputs. Bam. 16 mixer tracks for Kontakt. Wanna use mod wheel? It's already there. Want to control mod wheel on the entire string section? Highlight all the string MIDI tracks. Move mod wheel. Black magic.

• 4 years later...
On 12/14/2011 at 11:53 PM, Cash said:

I'm having trouble adjusting the volume of Kontakt instruments in FL Studio. When I bring up the volume of a given instrument in the Kontakt wrapper window, the volume goes back down when I try to record into the MIDI out channel. I brought the channel volume up all the way, but the instrument is still too quiet. Does anyone have any solutions?

I had the same problem...: Easy way, when you "link", in the "link to controller" options, in "mode" choose the "STAY" option... and it's solved. ENJOY :D