Don't Break Your (Promise) SH2

Razaphale

The opening bell sound (or whatever it is) needs more "ring" to it, in my opinion. Maybe some FM?

about a minute into the song, it begins to sound very muddy. it sounds like several synths are all playing within a single frequency range. You might want to apply some filters, maybe some highpass filters at some point. (Filters can totally change how a synth sounds. Don't overlook effects. I made that mistake early on)

I'm guessing the BPM is 120, right? :D the guitar (I guess it's a guitar) that comes in could probably be replaced with a more etherial-sounding synth. It's also a bit muddy, which ties back to the earlier filter comment.

I have to say, it does get repetitive, but I do like the strings at 1:20. opens up the upper frequency range.

Overall good job. Better than my first, second, third, 70th mixing attempt :-|

Needs work, but this has potential. keep working on it!

Edit: A little friendly hint: if this is a mix you feel like you will keep working on, mark it as Work in progress. If you plan on submitting it someday, you will want to keep it at WIP status until you feel it needs to be judged by a staff member, in which case, you change the suffix to Mod Review. When you feel like the mix is at it's pinnacle, mark it as Finished, whether or not it was Mod Reviewed.

I plan on watching this thread! Good Luck! :-D

~Electro

Okay firstly like I said, I no basically nothing about FL Studio whiiich is what I'm using. Not quiiite sure how to set filters and things. So I'm going to look up a tutorial or something on that. I know what you mean about that bell sound but funnily enough it isn't a bell o_O it's actually a piano of some form.

It does get cluttered and yeah my favorite thing in the whole thing is the strings xD

So maybe I just need to stop adding a ton of stuff together and spend a few days on something. xD

You want to use the FX channels.

IN FL Studio press F9.

Basically, in each channel (instrument) in your step sequencer, if you click on it, a box pops up called channel settings.

To the right is -- which says FX.

When you press F9, the mixer comes up. Channel M is the master Mixer, this means whatever FX you put on it, will apply to the entire mix. You generally don't want to use this for everything though, so they've conveniently given you individual FX channels to use for separate instruments.

TO put separate FX on a channel in the step sequencer, change the -- to 2 thru whatever number you have effects on... And then in the actual Mixer, apply whatever effects you like (fruity default effects such as reverb, chorus, EQ, etc. etc.) to change the sound of your instrument that you are applying the effects to.

So say you have a flute in your step sequencer that you want to add some reverb to, to make it sound nicer. You change the FX box in the channel settings to 3. You go into the actual mixer by pressing F9 (you can also just find it in the viewer), and you apply reverb to mixer INSERT channel 3. (they are called inserts). So now your flute should have some reverb on it. On the right side of the mixer, you can apply reverb by clicking a channel arrow under IN. There are several slots you can put different effects on for each insert. This way you can put reverb, or chorus, or EQ, or any combination of these on each individual channel, and have it apply to as many instruments as you want. You can apply insert 3's effects to whatever channel in your step sequencer you want as long as the channel settings box you open up when you click the channel is at 3.

In each mixer slot, there are knobs. If you right click these knobs, you can EDIT EVENTS, which means you can automate things like, when you want your flute to use reverb, and when you don't. This way the effects you choose won't have to be on your instrument the whole time, so you can effectly turn them on and off.

Another valuable tool is the SEND channel in the mixer, which, say you have your flute set to insert 3, and your piano set to insert 10, but you want them to both share the same reverb, but not the same EQ or other effects you have on them. So you create a SEND, which is just like an insert, where you can say, apply that reverb. All you have to do, is put reverb on say, SEND 1, then in insert 3 and insert 10 for your flute and piano, create a SEND fx, apply it to 1 (just like you picked which FX channel you want your instrument to use), and they will now use the SEND... It's a great way to save memory and apply certain effects to as many channels as you need, to create uniformity in sound if you need it, without losing out on individual effects you want on separate channels.

You can probably learn more on YouTube, or from tutorials, but read this a few times and press F9, and mess around a bit. Good luck!

Okay firstly like I said, I no basically nothing about FL Studio whiiich is what I'm using. Not quiiite sure how to set filters and things. So I'm going to look up a tutorial or something on that. I know what you mean about that bell sound but funnily enough it isn't a bell o_O it's actually a piano of some form.

It does get cluttered and yeah my favorite thing in the whole thing is the strings xD

So maybe I just need to stop adding a ton of stuff together and spend a few days on something. xD

ok, that's fine. I understand. FL can be confusing to begin with. I use Mixcraft 5, and the layout is very different to that of FL9.