Unreal Tournament - Facing Worlds(Foregone Destruction) Cover - Trance/Beat

Toilet Goat

I like it as well, could stand to have a bit more of a dynamic arrangement (more breakdowns), and some more original material, but it's a great start. I'd happily play UT to this :)

thank you for the suggestions. I've made a newer version now:

edit: and now a new version too haha:

http://soundcloud.com/toilet-goat/foregone-destruction-facing-1

what u think? opinions needed :)

going to change some breakbeat stuffs, think it sounds sloppy on some points, also maybe some more of filtering needed

• 3 months later...

Okay, so my idea of "today" is quite flexible. Sorry about that. Source breakdown:

0:00-0:54 source arp and 3-note mel adaptation

1:06-1:30 new melody over source arp

1:30-1:56 add mel adapt

1:56-2:18 mel adapt and source references in the bass

2:18-2:32 later source melody in lead synth

2:32-3:29 source string mel

3:23-4:04 source arp

Way over 50%, so we don't have to worry about that. :D

Most of the source usage is verbatim, there's a 57 second part with the strings from the original, basically just cloned into the beat. The transition into that part from the 2:18 part wasn't great, and it only highlights that you're sticking to the progression of the source, in this case to the detriment of the arrangement.

Most of the arrangement is built on the arp from source. While there's nothing wrong with that, the remix is kind'a sparse in other source content and certainly so in the interpretation/personalization department. As it says in the thread title and the SC track title, it's a cover. Too much of a cover for ocr, imo.

The low end is thick, the lack of dynamics makes it more of a carpet than a groove. Separating the bass from the bass drum and getting rid of excess lows from the other tracks should solve that problem and possibly give you some more headroom for all the other tracks as well. While there's no discernible pumping, there's still a bit of a squashed sound that makes this tiresome to listen to. (The repetition doesn't really help.) Too much multiband compression?

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

- Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

PRODUCTION

- Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics) - the "no dynamics" flavor

- Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range) - the low range at least

STRUCTURE

- Too repetitive

In other words, some technical and arrangement-related issues but otherwise a pretty cool cover... just not enough of a ReMix for ocr, says I.