Super Mario 3D Land

DarkeSword

Gone through it here recently.. Was definitely worth every penny spent. I liked the music, the controls handled nicely.. and the levels ranged from fun to downright challenging at times. The games I've gotten so far has never made me question buying my 3DS.. now if only Nintendo would give me some Majora's Mask in 3D love..

I'm not really digging it. I mean, it's fun but it's very very bland. It doesn't feel as fun as Mario 64, Mario 64 DS, Mario Galaxy, or really even New Super Mario Bros, the force 2D just kind of really makes every level feel like a REALLY short Super Mario Bros level.

I'm not saying I don't like it, but I definitely don't love it.

This game is just your average Mario game. I didn't like holding down a "run" button, it's just odd for a 3D-type Mario game. Usually you just push the analog stick further to run in a 3D Mario game, but there is no analog here. The thumb-thing is either on or off in whatever direction you push, it seems.

Also, the music is the same old crap we've been listening to since Super Mario 64, much of it even older. There's really no redeeming quality in the soundtrack. They didn't even try with this game.

Still, at least it's not another N64 remake, it's got that going for it.

Feels great, almost done w/ world 8, making it one of the few games I might beat this year... gonna agree w/ Rama though, levels feel a bit... slight. I guess that works for a handheld game, but I think some sort of additional bonus levels or (free, dammit) DLC levels are needed to widen the scope/length a bit more? And I'd still really like to see the SMG concept done on the 3DS with a Super Mario Galaxy 3DS title...

I'm kind of done with the Galaxy style, that's part of why I don't really want to pick up the game. The Mario formula is getting kind of stale, and graphically the games have been the same for the past 5 years. From what I've seen, the Tanooki tail is used the same way as the spin attack from the Galaxys. You wall jump off a wall and spin to reach hidden secrets.

Part of me wishes they'd do something ballsy like Mario Sunshine again, even if that wasn't really the best Mario game. Or what if they just tried a creative art style? Even that would be fresh enough for me.

I think it's my favorite Mario game of all time. Next to World, maybe.

I was never a fan of the Mario 64 gameplay and formula. Don't get me wrong, the game is fun, but it just wasn't mario. Mario is supposed to grab fire flowers, hop on goombas, break blocks, get invincibility stars and mushrooms. The 3d games just were too far removed from classic mario for me, and the NewSMB games were just formulaic.

This is the first mario game that takes what I love about the classic games and combines them with of the awesome controls and platforming of the 3d games. The only thing that would make it better would be more levels and more pure 2d levels.

I'm not really digging it. I mean, it's fun but it's very very bland. It doesn't feel as fun as Mario 64, Mario 64 DS, Mario Galaxy, or really even New Super Mario Bros, the force 2D just kind of really makes every level feel like a REALLY short Super Mario Bros level.

I'm not saying I don't like it, but I definitely don't love it.

Agreed.

I'm not taken by it at all. Feels like it should be in 2D, but isn't. The controls are not anywhere near as tight as they need to be, and the 3D isn't enough to make jumping where you want to actually jump to perfectly accurate.

I've never been a fan of this type of fixed 2D perspective in a 3D platformer anyway... it's never felt right, in anything, and in this case not even Nintendo has made it work.

Also, it's totally the wrong game to bring the Tanooki suit back in. Why bring it back if we can't use it as we did before? I know that would break the game, being able to fly to the end of the level and all, but that just reinforces the fact that it's the wrong game to bring Tanooki back in.

I was so pumped for this game, and after all the sterling reviews, I was uber-excited for it.

Biggest let down of the year.

hee hee that's a cute little opinion
yeah

I know everyone else who likes Mario is still enjoying Mario, but I wish they'd introduce a new gimmick or at least a new style. Even some of the music from 3D Land is stripped straight from the Galaxys.

yeah

I know everyone else who likes Mario is still enjoying Mario, but I wish they'd introduce a new gimmick or at least a new style. Even some of the music from 3D Land is stripped straight from the Galaxys.

May I ask how you recieved Mario Sunshine? Granted, I think Nintendo could do well sending Mario to a new land with some less-often-seen enemies. Imagine revisiting Sub Con( it was real dammit) or Daisy's kingdom instead of trudging through the mushroom kingdom for the umpteenth time. This opinion mirrors my stance on how they can make Zelda more interesting. Don't get me wrong, a change of setting isn't the catch-all solution but it could go a long way toward the coveted 'familiar but new' vibe people seem to want.

please clarify these statements because I am developing an anime vein in my head

I believe my comments were pretty clear, but it's just that nothing new or exciting has been done with the music, at all. There's nothing special about it, they put no effort into this game's soundtrack. Just copy/paste, it seems. If you like rehashed music, some of which has already been rehashed countless times, this game's for you. Time to come up with NEW memorable tunes, Nintendo! Galaxy 1 sounded awesome!

Mario Galaxy 1 was great, but I was bored with it when Mario Galaxy 2 came out and never bothered to finish that one. I agree with RDX that the Mario formula has grown a bit stale. Apparently I am one of the few who will dare say something like that. I wish they'd introduce a new IP that is pick-up-and-play. Mario is kind of a crappy character (especially when he opens his mouth, take a clue from Link, asshole). Time for something new. And no, Pikmin is not pick-up-and-play. Hell, they can't even be bothered to make new Zelda or Starfox games for the 3DS.