Sonic the Hedgehog CD [JP] - Stardust Speedway (Lastest Update: 04/12/11))

Current Version

stats.png

Source

Sonic the Hedgehog CD [JP Soundtrack]

Stardust Speedway, Stardust Speedway "P" Mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgGeIjvNQkg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhUQi-Zlm8E

It's been a while, but I'm finally back with another composition! To contrast my isolated Metroid pieces (Melting Sun, Lone Star), I decided to go with an upbeat mix. With Sonic the Hedgehog CD being rereleased next month, what's better than remixing a piece from your childhood?

Track Log

December 1st

http://tindeck.com/listen/gjkj

First version, posted on forums for more feedback.

Current Version

Changed EQ for most tracks. Changed the bass. Rearranged percussion, including high-hats. Removed most vocals and DJ Scratches. Changed microphone setup for strings (using close microphones, toning down studio microphones). This is NOT the final version.

So what are your thoughts on the piece?

Hello:

I think overall this just needs to be phattened up.

To submit to OCR, I think that a few things may need to happen first, I'm not a mod but my overall impressions are:

1. The song sounds hollow, and not in a way I can really say I like. I feel as if there's too much reverb/resonance on things that don't need it.

2. The bass, IMO I think you should shorten notes even more when you can, eliminate any resonance possible (I am also not a fan of where it actually sits in the song, so that could be it too, as in room placement). I think it also may be a bit too chorusy. Phatten it up in the low low end of the spectrum, and search for that sweet spot in that 1k to 2k range. I think it's really an ear thing, listening closely to make it stand out.

Thinking about the chorusy complaint, did you double it up actually? Because it feels like whatever has more resonance/reverb if it's two synths combined could be the culprit.

3. When the strings come in, everything gets muddy. They have a slight "slow attack syndrome" that I think actually takes away from how cool they'd sound if they were a bit more flat in their actual approach, and automated in volume instead. Maybe a bit too much reverb (or way too large a room, because they are drowned out).

4. I also think I am not a huge fan of where your piano sits either, but that could be because of the bass/strings too, I think you could EQ the piano a bit better, just like everything else. Also stylistically, I have no problem w/ their repetitiveness, but I do wanna point out that you could probably easily mix up the rhythm, at least at the end of sections, and have more fun w/ chords.

5. Your stevie wonder lead is very nice, nice writing too... But it also needs some beefing up, it's just too hollow. Work on making it stand out more.

6. Your drums are kind of lackluster too, although you do drop them out at appropriate times, and the voice/samples are pretty cool too, but overall the beat just need a bit of work. Actually though, are they a drumloop (or a couple drumloops)? That could be why, because they are gonna be harder to place in the mix if they are all together like that. If they aren't, and you're using a kit, work on getting that kick to pop (fill in lower bass freq your bass synth isn't using, and find that pop higher end freq), and EQ up the higher range of snare/highhats a tad. Get a little wider w/ the sound.

Overall, I don't have a problem with the actual writing, it's a bit conservative but it's fine, and actually I think the instrument I have the least qualms w/ is the sax. It's obviously fake, but it's kind of quirky and has charm.

Just work on making the song phatter, hone and widen your mixing, boost, and give it more energy. Sorry to sound harsh, and it really only is my opinion, but as of right now I think you'll probably be waiting 6 months just for a no resub if you submitted.

Good luck!

Hello:

I think overall this just needs to be phattened up.

To submit to OCR, I think that a few things may need to happen first, I'm not a mod but my overall impressions are:

1. The song sounds hollow, and not in a way I can really say I like. I feel as if there's too much reverb/resonance on things that don't need it.

I think you might be right. It's no where near as bad as some of my material from last year. Nonetheless, I have very little experience with mastering "full" pieces. It's odd that you should mention reverb, as I didn't add nearly as much reverb to this mix. Most of it is the natural reverb that comes with the patch I use (EWQLSO default studio microphone). Anyway, I'll get back to that.

2. The bass, IMO I think you should shorten notes even more when you can, eliminate any resonance possible (I am also not a fan of where it actually sits in the song, so that could be it too, as in room placement). I think it also may be a bit too chorusy. Phatten it up in the low low end of the spectrum, and search for that sweet spot in that 1k to 2k range. I think it's really an ear thing, listening closely to make it stand out.

Thinking about the chorusy complaint, did you double it up actually? Because it feels like whatever has more resonance/reverb if it's two synths combined could be the culprit.

That most likely is the culprit. I am using three bass synthesizers mixed at around -8.0dB. Logic Pro's bass instruments are rather lacking. I'll mess around with the EQ, and perhaps even change the instrument altogether.

3. When the strings come in, everything gets muddy. They have a slight "slow attack syndrome" that I think actually takes away from how cool they'd sound if they were a bit more flat in their actual approach, and automated in volume instead. Maybe a bit too much reverb (or way too large a room, because they are drowned out).

Unfortunately, I believe they're at their highest attack. I could use Logic Pro's samples instead of EWQL, and perhaps cut back on the studio microphone. I'll add the instrument microphone too, see if that helps placement/attack.

4. I also think I am not a huge fan of where your piano sits either, but that could be because of the bass/strings too, I think you could EQ the piano a bit better, just like everything else. Also stylistically, I have no problem w/ their repetitiveness, but I do wanna point out that you could probably easily mix up the rhythm, at least at the end of sections, and have more fun w/ chords.

Piano in the verse, chorus, or both? The piano in the verse is a simple Logic Pro piano synth with a DJ EQ, to make it sound old school (it suits the style of the piece). The piano throughout the chorus is EWQL Yamaha Piano, using the player microphone + studio microphone. I could mess with the EQ, but I'm not too sure what frequency range I should use. I can mix up the chords for the second verse, as I did have a few more ideas I cut out at the last second.

5. Your stevie wonder lead is very nice, nice writing too... But it also needs some beefing up, it's just too hollow. Work on making it stand out more.

I must confess, I never seem to know what I'm doing when it comes to EQing my tracks. Do you have any advice for the instrument?

6. Your drums are kind of lackluster too, although you do drop them out at appropriate times, and the voice/samples are pretty cool too, but overall the beat just need a bit of work. Actually though, are they a drumloop (or a couple drumloops)? That could be why, because they are gonna be harder to place in the mix if they are all together like that. If they aren't, and you're using a kit, work on getting that kick to pop (fill in lower bass freq your bass synth isn't using, and find that pop higher end freq), and EQ up the higher range of snare/highhats a tad. Get a little wider w/ the sound.

Fortunately, they're mostly MIDI. The maracas and voice samples are loops, but the triangle, kick, snare, and cymbals are all separate MIDIs. Again, I'll explore with the EQ, see what I can do. :)

Overall, I don't have a problem with the actual writing, it's a bit conservative but it's fine, and actually I think the instrument I have the least qualms w/ is the sax. It's obviously fake, but it's kind of quirky and has charm.

Just work on making the song phatter, hone and widen your mixing, boost, and give it more energy. Sorry to sound harsh, and it really only is my opinion, but as of right now I think you'll probably be waiting 6 months just for a no resub if you submitted.

Good luck!

Thank you for your honesty. It's criticism like this that actually helps me improve as a musician. If there's one thing I need to work on, it's equalizing my mixes. Whenever I use the EQ plug-ins, I feel like I can never quite get it to sound right, and usually end up using the stock EQ presets. I'll see if I can post an improved version soon. :)

In the meantime, does anyone else have any thoughts on the piece? :3

I like the feel of the piece, especially once it hits that strings breakdown, then its really grooving, but the main section sounds really cluttered. You've got a really busy kick, bassline, all of these scratching sfx sounds, sax/key leads, etc.. In contrast the string section has a really strong groove to it, I can't help but bob my head when it gets to that. Some general things you can do to improve this remix:

1. Tone down the main section, find a consistent groove that all of your rhythm section can sit in and let only elements you want to really emphasize go nuts.

2. Doing some basic EQing/levels on all of these tracks will help the mix gel better.

3. Consider low-passing the bass. Like Monobrow suggested, hit that range where it gives your bass some funk.

Update:

http://tindeck.com/listen/foju

Changed EQ for most tracks. Changed the bass. Rearranged percussion, including high-hats. Removed most vocals and DJ Scratches. Changed microphone setup for strings (using close microphones, toning down studio microphones).

I don't know though... it feels like it's missing something. Any advice on what to do?

Edit: That bass just sounds so... weak. Ugh. Any ideas on what to do with it? Whoa, and the strings sound really messed up at the end. I'll fix that next version.