Crushing Kakes

mirev

consider altering the main ostinato's harmony (you make small alterations to the figure itself but not the harmony) - it got boring to me very quickly. I find that the best thing about having a long sustained repeated figure is the semi-orgasmic moment you change it. Perhaps you weren't going for semi-orgasm though.

There's a strange thing at the start - though you're probably aware of it - just a glitch on the export.

Perhaps adding some reverb to the piano as it sounds quite synthetic in the upper register - just a tiny bit.

The drums also could do with a tiny bit of reverb maybe - also the drum pattern you have exposes the samples - each snare hit sounds exactly the same as it's all the same velocity - consider altering the velocity of the 3rd and a half beat and the 4th beat. I think that'll bring some life into it. Traditionally the 3rd and a half beat would be quieter and the 4th as loud as the 2nd beat. Hopefully that makes sense.

The whole piece felt a little meandering - i think you could really find some structural interest by adding a second chord which you go to perhaps halfway or 3/4 of the way through - this would heighten the sense of drama. At the moment you're achieving tension and release by adding loops of flutes/synths/drums etc. but think of this change of chord as a landmark in the dramatic structure.

Keep working on it.

Calum

Thnx for the great tips, but can you go into more detail with "ostinato's harmony", I've never heard that before.

an ostinato is a repeated riff - the piano phrase which you repeat. I simply mean that I would find it more interesting if you changed the notes of the phrase so that it is based around a different chord than it is and this could be a milestone in the piece.

http://soundcloud.com/journeyjay/crushing-kakes-instrumental

It raises an octave during certain segments now. I'm thinking about having it switch octaves ever 4 bars or so but idk.

Raising it an octave doesn't change the harmonic nature of the chord - it's the same chord in a different register. What i was suggesting would be interesting is if you change the chord itself. Though that's up to you.