OCR02338 - Chrono Trigger "Glenn"

djpretzel

Being a fellow pianist I'm always game to see other blood come to bat, and to do something that meshes together two source materials in quite an affective counterpoint-driven way is definitely a good way to go. I can feel a light jazz piano here influence here, which managed to work in regards to the performance and left hand writing.

To consider that this was actually written in Finale and not exactly a live performance astounds me; very few piano writers of that caliber have been able to make something sound as realistic as that (two people I can think of that handle piano sequences like that are Kevin Stephens and trickwaters, still worth checking out too). True, it may still have its grid-locked spots that don't quite give in as much freedom to the expression as it should, but I'm assuming that would come down to the nature of the software. It can be a good consideration to see such touch-ups could be done through a DAW's key editor, but otherwise I'm still cool with how it came down.

All in all, a very sweet arrangement, and it's done a world of good for OCR's solo piano representations. Let's hope you don't stop here, Hai :)

Oh, man, this is gorgeous! I think this is one of the best solo-piano pieces I've heard in the last few months. Hard to believe this was all on Finale. Loved how you managed to get Theme of Love in there as well. You can really feel the emotion in this ReMix and it just sounds so natural. Damn, dude, so good.

Hai can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure this song, like his other posted remixes, is a recording of him hand-playing it on his keyboard. He probably started out on Finale but I don't think this was done in Finale. Though I'd love to see him get his own setup going, I'll continue to fix up anything else he sends me because it absolutely deserves to be up on this site.

This is a quaint solo take on a quaint theme. The performance is not without mistakes, but it is still enjoyable. It shows off some of the subtle nature of the piano, although I wish there was a bit more of a transition in playing from the harder struck notes to the gentler, delicate notes. The song still ends up quite good though, and it is quite hard to really complain too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Squint,

Why are you so great?

Love, Greg

Seriously, beautiful and touching piece. It just rolls out the emotion, the passion and romance in my mind. I just picture lovers embracing, lovers parting, trains in black and white leaving the station - y'know, that sorta' thing. Great rendition of these themes. You make that piano sing, and your love of the material shines through. Thanks for yet another great piece to add to my already ginormous OC ReMix library!

The expression in this mix brings back memories. This is my favourite game.

This source is not represented enough. You did it absolute justice.

A SINGLE MANLY TEAR WAS SHED... SERIOUSLY... DON'T JUDGE ME

But it actually brings back memories of when I used to go to my Grandma's house too.

She would play piano for hours, and I would listen.

This transcended the video game that it pays homage to... and entered my real life.

I can't thank you enough for such a beautiful mix.

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words, it means a lot!

Vinnie - You're right. I only just used Finale to notate the music. It would be crazy if you could get Finale sounding that good! The little bit I mentioned in my writeup about Finale was just talking about when I used to listen to the piece on repeat and copy it note for note on my computer. :)

Bahamut - Those small mistakes in the performance bug me so much! I hope they aren't too noticeable!

Again, thanks for the support, and I hope everyone had a great holiday!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02338 - Chrono Trigger "Glenn"