OCR02343 - Mega Man 3 "A Daring Escape"

djpretzel

What a fantastic track. Really. For an album full of ReMixes that are all quite badass, this one certainly takes the slightly more subtle route, but it really makes for an awesome cut that sets itself apart from the pack and does it with style, finesse, and most importantly, SUPER-MEGA-EPIC-NINJA-AWESOME ORCHESTRA!

Indeed, a really fantastic mix here. What the samples lack in realism (not that they were horrible, you just can tell they're not live players), this arrangement makes up for with brilliant interpretation and dynamics. If you wanted to hear an orchestra perform this theme live in concert, this would be a wonderful arrangement to work from. Nice work, Steven!

Lol, THIS source tune. I tried arranging this before; that was one experience though I wanted to forget. xD

But I do remember Jago from the VGMix days, and I'm glad that he finally made his appearance on the OCR front page after his growth. In comparison to the other BadAss samples I've noted so far, the writing here feels somewhat more playful to me - and by that I mean Starfox Assault type playfulness - mostly due to the writing work between the brass and strings and the nice call-and-answer response sections being placed here.

For the most part this remains fairly faithful to the source, though while retaining the sections of the source it still manages to add its own charm with the sweet accompaniment work being driven in. The slowdown section at 2:15 managed to add that more triumphant side while still being able to manipulate the melody, and that with all the details in there really shows off the track's strengths.

I'm going to have to be on the same sample articulation boat as Larry though; while we do have these lovely samples, there doesn't seem to be much attention being paid to the humanisation for these, and I'm noting sections of the brass and woodwinds in particular having constant velocities for fast moving notes. It's something that's difficult to comprehend if you're not a performer of these kinds of instruments yourself (and I don't think many of us are in that regard), but by paying attention to the details like the attack/decay/sustain filters, it can help to try and bring that realism forward.

Otherwise, this is a very solid arrangement of a limited source, and one that's definitely worthy of a splash on OCR as well as a placement on BadAss! Welcome to the clan, Jago :)

This was a surprising mix for a darker album - I wasn't expecting a full on orchestral take on one of these themes. It has an almost film-like quality to it, where you can imagine a protagonist going through some adversity. My only complaint is that I wish it took advantage of what it set up for a frantic buildup into something crazy, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I love the atmosphere that's there though.

Man the intro has the sound of a grand fight getting set to take place, and indeed the whole ReMix has the feel of a great battle. This would fit right in with a soundtrack for a series or movie. I love the slowdown near the end of the ReMix. This is one of those ReMixes that I would absolutely love to hear live. Solid work here.

On the sound: I often find a big mistake orchestral remixers make is to utilize high-quality samples in hopes to emulate a live performance, rather than to use them as they are to create art within a given set of limitations. That is to say: they should use their tools as they do sound rather than as a ho-hum approximation to how they wished they would sound (this also takes away limitations on using the instruments in regards to technique. I suppose you could argue that it isn't a proper orchestral arrangement unless it's performable, but I'm just a simple listener so it makes little difference to me). This here is an example of one such remix. Being myself a real stickler (read: snob) for live performances, I'm both surprised and delighted to find myself enabling "repeat." Again. And again.

On arranging: I don't know if it was musical risk-taking, if you knew exactly what you were doing, if it was a lucky accident or what, but the battling orchestra near the conclusion, where you have two themes contrasting with one another without the slightest hint of harmony... well, it was a stroke of genius. In other contexts it might not have worked. As it is, however, I'm not sure how anyone is going to top arranging this theme from MM3 anytime soon.

Near favorite or favorite for the album. Love it. Can't wait to hear more.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02343 - Mega Man 3 "A Daring Escape"