just what this world needs - more gerudo valley!

FM

……although not necessarily in order!

Oh and since I'm starting today for some dumb reason, this counts as Wednesday's cover/arrangement/remix:

12/7/11 - My Old Kakariko Home (Kakariko Village as Young Link)

I like the live feel - great assortment of instruments. Interesting harmonic re-interpretations (although i think some of them don't quite succeed -1:10 in particular). Looking forward to more! Is there a website where you're planing to collate them all?

Thanks! I know what you mean about the harmonic stuff (although honestly the one you cited is one of my favorites :) - the stuff I'm not too comfortable with is when the organ really comes in, and in fact I might change it in a new version, although part of the point of this ruthless schedule is to not nitpick every goddamn thing so much and just shove stuff out there). I'm planning on setting up someplace somewhere, and each new thread will have a link to previous entires.

With a mod's permission I'd actually love to keep everything isolated to this one specific thread, since at the rate I'm planning on going there are going I'm going to need a lot of threads....

Thanks! I know what you mean about the harmonic stuff (although honestly the one you cited is one of my favorites :) - the stuff I'm not too comfortable with is when the organ really comes in, and in fact I might change it in a new version, although part of the point of this ruthless schedule is to not nitpick every goddamn thing so much and just shove stuff out there). I'm planning on setting up someplace somewhere, and each new thread will have a link to previous entires.

With a mod's permission I'd actually love to keep everything isolated to this one specific thread, since at the rate I'm planning on going there are going I'm going to need a lot of threads....

Hmm it's true that with re-harmonisation of a familiar tune it's difficult to accept the melody in it's new setting. I am warming to some of the harmonies but we'll see. I thought the organ harmonisations were particularly strong and didn't make the melody seem too out of place. It's difficult to leave the harmonic baggage behind of the original! But yeah you should post it all in this thread - or set up a tumblr/blogspot/something free and just have each one as a new post with a 'lil commentary.

I know how it is about just getting stuff out there - i'm doing the same kind of thing with a pokemon project - i'm writing new music inspired by each of the 150 original pokemon. So far i've done 2... plan's not going so well but it's good just as an incentive for me to write stuff!

I really like this. If you're doing this every MWF, I'm going to be looking forward to them. The reharmonizations are very interesting and generally quite tasteful (some are rougher than others,as mentioned before, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, with such a familiar tune).

I think I also heard some Zelda Flute motifs in there on the organ, too. Very subtle. Very nice.

Hmm it's true that with re-harmonisation of a familiar tune it's difficult to accept the melody in it's new setting. I am warming to some of the harmonies but we'll see. I thought the organ harmonisations were particularly strong and didn't make the melody seem too out of place. It's difficult to leave the harmonic baggage behind of the original! But yeah you should post it all in this thread - or set up a tumblr/blogspot/something free and just have each one as a new post with a 'lil commentary.

I know how it is about just getting stuff out there - i'm doing the same kind of thing with a pokemon project - i'm writing new music inspired by each of the 150 original pokemon. So far i've done 2... plan's not going so well but it's good just as an incentive for me to write stuff!

Haha, yours is quite a bit more ambitious than mine. Reminds me of Sufjan Steven's defunct 50 state project.

Though does that mean you're covering the really short things too? Like the ocarina songs?

Some short things I'll do straight up, some I'll blend with longer tunes (like Friday I'm probably going to be posting Fairy Flying/Kokiri Village as one arrangement) some maybe I'll just do them at the end for fun if I can't manage either of the above. But yeah the idea is everything gets done, even the ambient soundscapey stuff :)

Alright yall it's Kokiri time. Starts out with Fairy Flying but I also divided them into two tracks in case anyone like, hates one of the tunes or something.

nCQiF.jpg

12/9/11 - i don't wanna grow up (Fairy Flying (

) and Kokiri Forest (
) OR as two seperate tracks Part 1 and Part 2

I'm pretty happy with this except I think it might need some serious EQ hatcheting which I am just not in the mood to do. Thoughts?

Edited by FM

I hope you'll be submitting some of these when you're finished? :)

Definitely, just want to let them gestate for a while before they possibly get accepted and become etched in stone. It's sad that OCR WIPs is like, the only low pressure place to put this kinda thing now and get decent feedback. RIP VGmix

Dude I LOVED your prelude mix! Did you ever follow that up?

Also these are sexy as hell, MWF has a highlight for me now

pH

Haha I tried many times over the years and eventually realized the problem was that the whole thing I was going for was very insincere (if that makes sense) and just incompatible with the zelda musical style in my mind, which is often noticeably unpretentious and very rarely "epic." Basically I felt like it was my high school self trying to use zelda music to show how clever I was (and in the process ruining the things that make zelda tunes great) instead of doing out of appreciation for the music and respect for koji kondo. I'm glad you liked prelude though, that was an important piece for me at the time. I might gather up all my attempts and put them in this thread with some commentary as a kind of bonus feature.

tomorrow: either a house/shop combo ooorrr "inside the deku tree"

Edited by FM

Unfortunately for shop fans, today we're going inside the Deku Tree:

4XkqE.png

12/12/11 - The Well Tuned Deku (Inside the Deku Tree (

))

This one might seem kind of bland at first glance, but there's more going on than meets the eye. Lots of subtle tuning things - everything is based on the overtone series with B as the root, meaning lots of microtuning, and when the big chord finally comes in we have all kinds of near quarter-tones and other crazy shit.

Edited by FM

Wow, these are chock-full of personality. I especially love the Fairy/Kokiri arrangement, so full of youth, magic, and a bit of mischief. I agree that some of the harmonic changes to Kakariko are a little hard to swallow.

I hope you plan to clean these up and make a compilation out of it. I'd love to hear more polished versions of all of these.

Deku is lovely - so relaxing. What was the instrumentation for the chords?

A lot of glassware, samples of glass harmonicas, musical glasses, bowed vibes things like that. Plus some flutes, finally some strings I think. Maybe more I'm forgetting, these all go by in a blur.

Wow, these are chock-full of personality. I especially love the Fairy/Kokiri arrangement, so full of youth, magic, and a bit of mischief. I agree that some of the harmonic changes to Kakariko are a little hard to swallow.

I hope you plan to clean these up and make a compilation out of it. I'd love to hear more polished versions of all of these.

Yeah there's definitely a lot of work still to be done, but when I work this fast I always end up reaching a point where I can still hear tons of little niggling problems but my brain won't tell me how to fix them. I can literally spend as much time fixing one dumb problem as I did on the entire rest of the piece. I'm sure folks here can relate.

(either shop/house or hyrule market today depending on how things go. I have a lot of dumb errands to do)

Edited by FM