OCR00457 - Wizards & Warriors "Grosse Lederhosen"

Ginnsu

Wizards & Warriors 'Grosse Lederhosen'

This one is interesting to say the least, a very upbeat loud kick electronic sound. The only thing I can say that I don’t really take to is the arpeggio that starts at about 2:53 and completes the song. The instrument used for it sounds too much like it’s just a drum with no pitch change at all. Besides that, the rest of the mix is great, right up my ally. I especially like the Pulp Fiction sample, nice touch Grodan Grobi.

• 5 months later...

First of all I must say that I really liked the soundtrack in the original game and also the game itself! This remix is based on one of the best songs in the game, in my opinion, and it`s really well done altough I personally could`ve survived without the voice sample that`s played a couple of times :wink:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Another remix on the site that has several variations, This one is pretty good, with a very driving hardcore style beat with a smoothed out arrangement of the theme on top of it.

I didn't really care for the vocal samples, though I almost never do, but there was some pretty cool counterpoint lines with some interesting effects applied. There aren't really any B sections to speak of, though the original didn't have one either, so for an earlier mix, it's not really an issue.

Ah, oldschool OCR... this was a pretty cool mix when I first started checking out the site around 4 years ago. Doesn't really cut it by today's standards, but the integration of the voice samples and some nifty synths did set it apart from total suckage - even if the samples are a little lame and the arrangement isn't exactly stellar.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After reading Palpable's review, I do have to say, holy cymbal, Batman!

Lame phrases aside, definately a driving beat we have going on, and the vocal samples, while interesting, aren't really doing it for me.

I like the soft synth floating in the background, it contrasts the 'doop' synth well.

Little repetative after a while, but overall and alright mix.

• 11 months later...

wow i just reviewed a mix of the same song by CheDDar right before this. strange to hear the same source twice in a row.

my favorite part is the arps that come in at 1:45ish, although im pretty sure thats a preset, not written arpeggios.

correct me if im wrong, but i keep getting the feeling that i am hearing a lot of sytrus presets. sounds like default FL is written all over this.

Wizards and Warriors, great source tune. The Pulp Fiction quote was a great introduction to this pulse-pounding rave piece. I love how the instruments fade in at 1:30. The break section at 2:00 was a neat part with the mix driving without the pulsing beat. The melody portions alternate very well in the mix, without overriding each other.

Of course, like most rave songs, it feels somewhat repetitive. This one less then most though, because it has a lot of nice alternating parts.

I like the intro, nice start.

The quote is great and really sets the tone.

Very light and quick paced, which is nice.

It is repetitive, but I guess that just comes with the territory of being a rave song.

Of the three Wizards and Warriors remixes that I've reviewed so far, this is the best yet.

• 5 months later...

Rave songs intimidate me. Everytime I hear something like this I feel like I'm on the verge of an epileptic fit. So Many BEATS.

This is pretty much the most repetitive song on the whole site (maybe I'm wrong?). I'd prefer it with 1-2 minutes shaved off it. By the point that it didn't relent just for the sake of being unrelenting, I was very over it.

Other than the staple rave aspects, production and instrumentation is substandard but not complete rubbish. However, there is minimal arrangement here or indeed any attempt on expanding Wise's original theme. I don't know, rave's not my thing so I'm probably a terrible judge for this sort of remix. But this is definately on the low end of the OCR spectrum for me.

• 4 months later...

I remember this one - I also remember not being fond of this even back then in 2003 when I listened to mostly electronic music.

It doesn't do much more than take the original melody, rip it wholesale, and layer it with a beat. In that event, just give me the original that was playing at the start of the song and save my ears :-( .

• 2 years later...

Another 2001 track that I should probably go easy on in regards to arrangement standards.

Indeed it starts out as a safe harpsichord adaptation of the source, but by the time the beat comes in (Rave party?! :razz: ) the focus does indeed shift to something more energetic while again still fitting with the source. I like that it manages to just mostly use the on-beat notation of the melody as opposed to the whole one; simple as it may be, but it works well in the context of the genre.

It's not without its issues in regards to the writing though - the repetitive drum beat may be put aside simply because of its age, but then again I'm not too fond of the rhythm synth at 1:45 - it's nice and chippy sure, but I would've hoped for it to fit more with the chord structures of the track. Similarly the same can also be said wht the bass synth at around 2:30 - it's some nice variation, but it doesn't seem to fit in with the soundscape with that low a texture in the track.

And also, rave fadeouts. Not a fan of them, it just cuts the energy off too quickly. But then again, your mileage may vary.

For its time it definitely isn't a bad Wizards & Warriors entry, though in regards to the writing and strcucture it's really starting to get old. You could at least check it out if you're a fan of the game/source, though just be mindful with its stance as an early entry into the site.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00457 - Wizards & Warriors "Grosse Lederhosen"