* *ReMix Info*

o Game: Actraiser

o Song: Birth of the People

o http://www.ocremix.org/detailgame.php?gameid=25

o One of my first remixes ever done, i hope you like it :) it

gives memories indeed ^^

Keep up the good work!

/ Urban_Trasa

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/actr.rsn - "Birth of the People" (actr-15.spc)

Heh. Interesting mix being made with mostly default-level sounds. I liked some of the altered rhythms here, but to me this was a glorfied cover. The intro had me thinking this might end up diffferent, but :39 sealed with me that it wouldn't. Changing some rhythms and some instruments and adding a dance kick isn't enough for me. I'm glad some new ideas were finally introduced from 1:49-2:14, but it was relatively short-lived.

Genuinely cool ideas on the surface, but this could have been more. Props on creating something this good from default sounds, as I can certainly tell you're new at this. Rearrange the melodic content more substantially next time around, and head over to the ReMixing forum and learn to do even better things with what you have.

NO

I agree with Liontamer that this is way too similar to the original, the only difference being the added delay and kick drum/clapping. There's more interpretation at 1:57 with the 3/4 but the bells are constantly playing notes that disagree with everything else. From 1:57 through the end everything is way too sparse and the instruments are far too plain or as Liontamer said they sound like "default-level sounds".

More Interpretation + Better Sounds + No More Bells = Problems Solved!!

NO

Good beginning effort Jim but there’s a lot of work to be done here. The sounds are not only generic but they are underprocessed. The only real effect that I hear is the delay on almost everything. While in some cases this creates some interesting textures, the cross-panned delay on the claps for example only accentuates the fact that they are bone dry amongst the other fluid, dreamy synths and bells. A little reverb can go a long way.

Although I do hear some compositional and instrument additions, the arrangement was too conservative as well. Also, it’s unfortunate that in the sections where we do hear some of your creativity, the out-of-tune bells spoil the experience.

Visit the ReMixing forum and read up on layering your samples, acquiring new samples and processing what you do have. You also might consider stopping by the WIP forum for some feedback on your future mixes. Keep working at it.

NO

This is almost NO Override material in my opinion. Very conservative arrangement. A lot of the source material is lightly expanded on with some processing and the addition of the beats. Yuzo Koshiro's original was a masterpiece and this is clearly an homage to it, but sadly it just doesn't compare as favorably or bring much new to the table. The synth bells are the highlight of the mix. I like the instrument selection, it has a late 80s/early 90s japanese synth vibe. I would try to bring in new nexture to change things up. The synth bell as nice as it is, gets a bit dull by the end.

On the production side, I would consider working some better processing, component synthesis and some better synth design/samples - this sounds a bit plain. Nicely put together, structure wise. But then that's to be expected considering the similarity with the source.

Decent work. Bring more to the table next time.

NO