Land of the Beans (M&L: Superstar Saga)

pokemoneinstein

Yeah, the funny thing is that I don't care as much about getting accepted as an artist. I care about Mario and Luigi music getting some OCR-accepted remixes XD

Thanks everybody for the comments, etc, and especially to you, Rozo. I'll fix some stuff up and submit it when I can!

I can respect that. Good luck! WHEN this song is accepted, I'll be one the first to download it.

• 5 months later...

Alright, so after a few months of not working on it, I set aside a big chunk of time to put the finishing touches on my resub version of the song. Here are some of the biggest notes from mods:

Not enough humanization

Cameo themes are too similar to their originals

Ending feels too abrupt

Not enough variation in percussion

Volume levels are too constant

Humanization: I think I did okay on this. I humanized the piano, mostly. The string stabs, too. And if I recall correctly, I actually ditched the brass stabs.

Cameo themes: I added some variation on each one. DragonAvenger suggested I could choose one or two and expand on them, but I like the way I have it done now.

Percussion Variation: Not sure about this one. I'm terrible at writing percussion, so I'm not sure I managed to get it quite to the level that it needed to be. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Ending: Changed a lot of the arrangement. Overall, it's just more fluid now. I also changed up the arrangement of the lead for the third repetition of the chorus to keep it fresher.

And after fixing these and other issues with the song, here's the newest version. Thoughts, anybody? How did I do? https://www.box.com/s/6618b4d42b18841dfc22

This is really nice! The sound scape is really interesting and you are doing plenty to change things around. The percussion is lively and full of energy, so it really helps bring life to the rest of the mix. I can't say that I'm very familiar with the source, but from what I can tell, there is plenty of variation going on. I only have a tiny complaint regarding the piano. It sounds a little bit artificial to me, but that might just be a style that I'm not used to.

Nice work dude! :D

Thanks! Though may i ask, artificial in what way? Are you able to identify how? Is the velocity too strong or something?

I think think it's because of the reeverb/delay you have on it. The notes have a nice long tone, and when you have them playing in chords for the background during the chorus (the piano that first show up at 0:09), it sounds like your playing with the damper pedal down the whole time. The result sounds a bit unrealistic to me. I think it might help to have a little space in between each of the chords.

I've uploaded a little example of what I'm hearing right now, and what I think might sound a little better. I quickly went into FL Studio and replicated the chord progression that you used for your song. The first piano that plays is what I am hearing, only exaggerated. The second piano that plays is what I think might sound better.

Example:

http://tindeck.com/listen/qfya

The changes that I would recomend are bring down the velocity a bit, increase some of the lower frequencies, put a tiny pause in between chord changes, put a little variation in the note velocities, and work on giving it a warmer feel.

Don't get me wrong though, I really like what you have here!:grin: I would just recommend playing with the frequency/note length on the piano. I know you'll figure something out. :D

Hmm, that constant 4-on-the-floor sure is bothersome :whatevaa:

Your mix is very stale, and the constant kick pattern just adds to that. Your mix doesn't progress anywhere at all and it's still very much a medley. The production is good but you definitely need to work on the arrangement itself. You essentially just took drums and a piano progression and added all the different themes over them in order.

I suggest adding some sort of break, bridge or intermediary section so it's not just the same 4/4 drums repetitively bashing the eardrums. You should also use less themes sources.

I like how you've nailed the happy-go-lucky mood of Superstar Saga, but it's simply too repetitive and isn't working out to be a good style to do a ReMix in.

And yes, as zach72 said, the ending is quite cheesy. :P

From what I can tell though, your production is great! I love the M&L series, I do hope you improve this and get posted :-)

Dude, this is awesome!!! Changing the piano made a huge difference, and it blends so well, I had to listen consciously to hear it (but that's a good thing). I don't know what other people think, but using Mario and Luigi vocal samples sounds great to me! The only thing that I can suggest is having the clap fade in at 0:06. At the moment, the clap that comes in on the off beat is a bit loud, and I think it would be a better idea to fade it in so it doesn't come in so loud.

I think you're at a point in production where I can't offer any more advice. In fact, I'm pretty sure that your production quality is better than mine. :D

Hey, I remember this. :D

Gonna ignore source because I covered it before, and I'm still not gonna learn a whole slew of sources for a single track.

0:25 flute a bit too soft

Noticing the drums are pretty loud. You might wanna give the rest of the instrumentation (except the bass) a slight boost, or soften your kick a bit.

1:12 is really quiet. It's beyond having proper dynamics, it's just weirdly soft, especially as the 1:28 part comes in with some fairly loud notes. Even that whole part out.

Voice clips. The weird thing is that, silly as they are, I have little to no problem with them here. They work. I even like them.

Good ending.

Some levels edits and you should be done with this. Fix stuff, sub it. Great track. :D