Amphibious feat. C7 - Shadow's Lounge (Mega Man 3 & 8)

Jamphibious

So since this round of the Wily Remix Battle is over, I figure I'd post this up here to get some more feedback. I'm pretty happy with this mix, as its probably one of my best both with the mixing and the arrangement. That said, I'm sure there are some issues lingering so I'd like to fix it up. I'm thinking I'd like to submit it if I can polish it up enough!

*I should note that a team mate of mine, C7, provided the live trumpet which was fantastic.

EDIT: I ended up altering the lead sound and making the trumpet solo just a bit louder in the mix. Some subtle changes but I've finally got some time available to get some final opinions and hopefully submit this!

LATEST VERSION: Click here

Version 2: Click here

Version 1: Click here

And here's the sources:

Mega Man 3 - Shadow Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYuehCRXi_0

Mega Man 8 - Wily Stage 2:

*EDIT - Its submitted! Thanks to everyone out there who gave me helpful comments. Fingers crossed!

First of all I'd like to congratulate you on your first place finish this round! :D

I'm not all that great at giving feedback, but I can tell you that the lead you used at :17 almost sounds like a placeholder for a guitar or something, like the guitar at 1:03. In my opinion that would make a much better lead there.

Other than that...fuckin digging this, and can't see it not passing the panel. Excellent shit :D

First of all I'd like to congratulate you on your first place finish this round! :D

I'm not all that great at giving feedback, but I can tell you that the lead you used at :17 almost sounds like a placeholder for a guitar or something, like the guitar at 1:03. In my opinion that would make a much better lead there.

Other than that...fuckin digging this, and can't see it not passing the panel. Excellent shit :D

Thank you kindly sir!

I wanted the second verse section of the Shadow Man to have a bit of a different instrumentation than the first to keep it interesting, hence the guitar and piano then and the synth the first time. I suppose the synth could use some touching up though, so I'll have a look at it.

I love the vibe on this tune. It feels like Royksopp playing JRPG :)

Although, there are two particular sections I dislike, it happens to be two of the Lead Instruments -

First the lead between 00:16 - 00:32, I'll be brutally honest, this sounds like absolute '********' in my ears. Its so basic and way too dry for the 'rich environment' in the background. I know this is supposed to sound like robot, but please, find something better.

Next up is the guitar at 01:03. I think that is purely because it shares some resemblances to that 1st lead :S

Overall it sounds promising.

I really really liked this track in the compo, so I thought I'd give some more feedback.

Regarding the lead at 0:16 - 0:32, I kind of see where people are coming from, but I don't think it sounds that bad. It fits with the lounge style of the track. I like the idea of having something different from the guitar at 1:03 though to help with variety. I'd say either keep the lead, but work on the EQ (boost the high freq ranges ~1500khz and up) I'm thinking or maybe do some editing to the instrument (brightness or timbre) might spruce things up a bit. Or replacing the whole sample with a nice mellow square lead synth might do the trick too, while preserving the style.

I like the guitar at 1:03 a lot. The trumpet playing is spot-on (nice work C7!). The drums, epiano and everything else fits perfectly with the style too.

Other than that, I don't have much feedback. Great job!

I suppose I do see the concern with the lead. It's almost TOO robotic, though I thought I liked the tone when I first made it, haha. I'm mixing for the contest again this week but after I'm done that I'll be doing some touch-ups on this! I appreciate your thoughts and feedback and I will take them into account.

• 5 months later...

I've finally got some time available, so I'm working on this again!

I changed the lead sound, and I made the trumpet solo just a bit louder in the mix. Subtle stuff but I have set this to mod review so I can hopefully get some feedback from a mod and hopefully get around to submitting this. (That is the plan, anyways!)

Feel free to leave any thoughts or concerns.

Nice sound, nice groove, great way to get into the track. :D

First take on Shadow Man's level is a bit bland, but I know it's the source's fault. 0:53 and we're cool again. :D

1:41 ARGH! Watch those shrill bell things.

Trumpet is cool, the drums in the last minute feel lazily looped, track ends well, sources are there... I hate trying to analyze multiple-source tracks, unless I already know the sources or don't have to comment on source usage. AFAICT, source is cool here, but another mod might wanna double-check.

Feels a little soft, tho. Some subtle side-chaining, low cuts, and other tricks might yield a little more headroom to boost without creating any compression problems, but it'd be better to leave the dynamics as-is than to screw it up. Make a copy before screwing with it.

Dunno what else to say. Fix up the shrill breakdown sounds, maybe spice up the drums a bit towards the end, see if you can get it just a little louder without destroying anything.

Overall coolness. No checklist. Nice work.

Thanks a lot for the comments.

I decided to just go ahead and remove the shrilly bells in the bridge section. They're used in the chorus too, but when they're more isolated and not much else is going on they did sound quite out of place and a bit irritating.

I added some very small changes to the drum patterns at the end. There's an altered fill and a couple extra cymbal and snare accents. Its subtle but having just a bit more to it was a good suggestion. I could try to change it further, but I kinda like it how it is, personally. Still, any additional opinions are welcome, even if I may decide against it.

I altered a bit of the mixing to see if I could get it at least a little louder. I do see what you said about it being a little quiet, though its something I suppose I still struggle with. I'm hoping I didn't screw up the balance with the subtle changes I made, but to my ear it all still sounds good. I still have the version without the slight mixing changes just in case.

I feel I'm almost ready to send it off to the judges, but if anyone else has anything to say please don't hesitate!

Updated mix: Here

Let's see--on an initial listen-through, my only peeve so far is with the shaker. Just a bit loud and/or harsh. Other than that, and possibly the piano issue mentioned by someone earlier, I really can't find anything wrong. Love the vibe--it's a sweet mix!

Its been a few days so I'll have another listen to that shaker. It is supposed to be just sort of supplementary, in behind everything else, so I'll see if I need to bring it back a bit or tweak the EQ a tad. This will probably be one of the last things I look at in this mix. Thanks for listening, I am glad you like it!