Angry Video Game Blues

Lie Mf B

Here's a cover of the Angry Video Game Nerd theme (yes, the song for the retro game reviewer at Cinemassacre.com). Probably one of the most ambitious covers of that song, this is in a retro blues/rock style with a shuffle rhythm. Kind of '70s rock, inspired by the Rolling Stones, '70s Aerosmith, Iggy Pop, etc.

It's basically finished, but I might do some small adjustments, and I'm keen to hear any kind of critique.

stats.png

Shit, man, where have you been? Gone from OCR for two years, infrequent updates on your site... it's been an unhappier place without ya, man.

This was a really fun rendition of the classic AVGN track; I especially loved the 'Cowa-fuckin'-piece-of-dog-shit' thrown in the middle of it all. I have to agree that the vocals should come out more overall in the track. I love the guitar work, as usual, but we all need to hear those lyrics better for maximum effect :)

Great rendition, overall, and glad to see you putting awesome musics around here again. :)!!

Your words warm my heart, Gario. :)

You're right -- sadly, I haven't been too active with the vgm music lately. Partly because I'm working full time at a newspaper and do freelance work at the same time (i.e. too little spare time), and partly because I've been playing other music. For example, I've been recording covers of "girl pop" songs -- such as Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper -- in retro rock styles, just to do something different and more basic. The idea is to release a 5-song EP or something like that.

A new Mutherpluckin' B album is in the back of my head. Just need the time and commitment to realize it. I do have enough songs already to make a hodge-podge "outtakes" album, which I've been thinking about, but I'd rather release something "real". Either way, the next album is gonna be shorter and more straightforward -- but still better performed -- compared to 8-Bit Democracy.

At the moment I'm working on a Turtles In Time cover for an OCRemix compilation with different artists. I'm also planning to finish the Solar Man tune in which I collaborated with Mega Ran for his latest album. I'll show up around here in the forums, I promise! Your support is encouraging.

As for this song -- yeah, listening to it again, the vocals are a tad bit low. I do like it that way (I love rock 'n' roll songs with slurred and buried vocals à la Exile On Main Street by the Stones) but it's not very clear. I have released it the way it is now, but I might update it a little later.

All the lyrics -- including the cowa-fucking-piece-of-dogshit thing -- are from the original song by Kyle Justin (http://kylejustinmusic.com), except some of the rant during the coda at the end. I added a guitar solo, but apart from that it follows the original. However, most if not all AVGN videos only feature part of the original theme song, so the complete tune is seldom heard. It is available on Kyle's website and Youtube, though.