Want to mix some music for a game soundtrack?

AngelCityOutlaw

Alrighty, I know there has been a wave of composers and all that in the forums here lookin' for something to do, but this is not one of those posts.

So, I am tasked with writing music for an indie game. It is a sort of 3D Sci-Fi puzzle/adventure game. The music I've been writing for it is an electronic/ambient style. Think along the lines of Portal and Mirror's Edge. However, while I can certainly write and play some damn catchy tunes, I am no master of music mixing and mastering. Usually, for projects with some sort of budget, I would get a local studio to professionally mix and master it and even hire other session musicians.

Which brings me to my next point. This particular game is just a fun project and if successful, could be some good exposure for us all! So therefore, I'm not able to offer any money. We can give you a spot in the credits of the game and it's website, however.

So basically, I'm looking for a reliable and fairly experienced mixer (one I haven't collaborated with yet) to mix and master my songs for the game. Maybe even replace and/or upgrade some synths and samples. I compose...you mix. Perhaps you could even teach me some of your own tricks and beliefs with mixing and mastering so that I may improve in that area as well.

I won't post videos, pictures and links here, but If you want to know more and think you'd be up for a fun little project. Send me a PM and I'll share all I know with you.

You wouldn't happen to need a vocalist, would you? :3

For this particular project, I don't think so. The bosses of this project are quite specific in what they want. Vocals hasn't come up. I do have another, bigger video game that I've got all the music written for and it needs a female singer.

Fear not though, I have a whole pile of other projects on the horizon that would require a dude singer. Think you might be able to sing "eye of the tiger"?

As for the mixing thing. I've talked to Mak (congrats on getting a mix in the "to be posted" section!) about it and we'll see how it goes with him.

For this particular project, I don't think so. The bosses of this project are quite specific in what they want. Vocals hasn't come up. I do have another, bigger video game that I've got all the music written for and it needs a female singer.

Fear not though, I have a whole pile of other projects on the horizon that would require a dude singer. Think you might be able to sing "eye of the tiger"?

As for the mixing thing. I've talked to Mak (congrats on getting a mix in the "to be posted" section!) about it and we'll see how it goes with him.

I'm fairly certain that song is within my range, so yea. Whenever you've got something, just leave me a message.

This is something I need to be better at hunting for. Where did you find the job?

I didn't find it actually. It found me. As a matter of fact, 2011 is the year I started writing music for whatever needs it. Been writing for years though. I got the jobs (both freebies and paid ones) just by starting up a soundcloud and loading it up with demos, create a webpage of some sort, and advertise yourself on game development forums etc. Never under-estimate indie game design forums. As I learned, you never know just what companies and industry veterans actually DO pay attention to these sites.

Another thing I did was get in touch with professional composers and listen to their advice about how to get into writing music for games.

Mikko Tarmia (Amnesia: Dark Descent composer) gave me some great advice. He said that most game companies, independent or big name, do not advertise jobs for composing music. The reason is because they either "A: Already have composers or B: They use agencies." Most video game producers and companies already know what they're looking for music-wise in the games early stages. So it's often much easier to bring the work to you. "Doing hobby projects with no pay is how most people get into this business."

and he's damn right. Basically, search around for sites like devmasters or other independent game design forums and offer your music services for free. Try to get into a "no profit" project. Which is easy enough. Nothing says those indie games will be good or even survive development, but if they do, you'll have something to add to your portfolio and keep building it up. The more projects you have done, the more attention you will attract. Even if you're not the best mixer or even a super highly educated and insanely skilled musician, there are certainly people out there who are looking for what you offer. Just make sure to let them know that you won't always be free.

Oh and one more thing, never, ever, EVER sign a contract unless you have a lawyer look it over first. Because usually if some random "game designer" is waving a contract at you, it means he doesn't know WTF he is doing.

Good advice. Never tried a soundcloud account but I guess i'll set one up. I usually use tindeck for my wip's.

I used to hang around on the Xbox indie game forum hoping to get some leads but have you seen those games? Just a bunch of garbage and Japanese T 'n A games. Oh and Baby Maker Extreme.

Does that contract advice you gave include potential traps like "By emailing, talking, or making eye contact with anyone at this game development basement you hereforth give power of attorney, any money you have, and your wife, girlfriend and/or significant pet over to the stater of this statement. " :)

• 2 weeks later...
"By emailing, talking, or making eye contact with anyone at this game development basement you hereforth give power of attorney, any money you have, and your wife, girlfriend and/or significant pet over to the stater of this statement. " :)

Whaaa?

As for the Sound Cloud.. I have account. So? Still have no work(music). It depends of your music's style i suppose. Ppl know what they want. All of my works attracting only weird ppl without any work offer:mrgreen: fuck..

Whaaa?

As for the Sound Cloud.. I have account. So? Still have no work(music). It depends of your music's style i suppose. Ppl know what they want. All of my works attracting only weird ppl without any work offer:mrgreen: fuck..

Gar was referring to potential scams that are out there. I've only ever ran into one scammer.

On the subject of soundcloud. It is indeed quite awesome. I like how organized it is, you can upload a variety of formats, groups, etc. It's great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you still need a female singer? I am one and could provide vocals for you if you're interested. :)