OCR02347 - Descent "Lost in the Mines"

djpretzel

Yeessssss...Descent is one of my all-time favorite game series, and those old MIDI tracks were a big part of that. This did a great job of building off the source material; I didn't remember exactly which track was from level 12 when reading the description, but as soon as the main chorus kicked in, I recognized it immediately. Definitely a nice groove.

Well done cfx! I recall digging this on advance listen during the summer, and you were a cool guy to see in the #ocremix IRC too (where are you these days?!), so I'm glad to see it made its rounds here.

With a fresh set of ears - and sadly still not as much familiarity with the Descent score no matter how many times I tried listening to the sources - it to me still sounds just as crisp and suffice as it was when I first heard it. The main source melody managed to face good appearances while still facing a more shifted chord structure in comparison, and there's definitely been some solid melodic writing to make it feel cohesive and well executed. I'm with the panel with the not-quite-too-attentive drums; mainly due to lack of fills and additional layers undereneath the kick/snare/cymbals, but for the atmosphere they work... "descent-ly". (sorry, I HAD to make the pun!)

The samples are a bit of a pick and mix for me, though mostly on the positive side; I thought the synths were very well manipulated, and the occasional synth panpipe sounds - though a little basic - managed to add some good amount of life to the compositions. But the synth guitar to me sounds a little thin sounding in comparison to some of the other instruments; thankfully the modulation work on it and the use of power chords at 3:10 sounded neat so it's probably not as weak as it made out, but should be something to look out for should any expansions need looking into.

Otherwise, it's a solid package and a well-put-together first submission. Hopefully we'll get to see more of you over time, and to keep seeing you refine your technique... and maybe look into other obscure games in the process? One can dream :wink:

Yeah, I'm totally liking the beat and that amazing guitar work. The into was soft and entertaining and the ending was built up really well. From front to back, I was pretty fond of this ReMix. The piano was done very well and had a good chilling reverb to it. The breakdown was handled impressively and I agree with the judges on this being very clear. Pretty good for a debut, looking forward to seeing more.

Never heard of the game before, but I love it when people remix unremixed stuff (as you might be able to tell), and especially when it's a newcomer.

This is a great debut, and displays a very impressive level of polish. I really like downbeat style, and the synth choices are perfect to set the mood. I think the beat works well with the piece, and the cymbal break is a really nice way to mix it up on the percussion side, leading into the more groovy solo section, which is my favourite part of the remix. Great stuff, and hopefully you have more in the pipeline!

Oh fuck yeah. Descent was one of my favorite games and to see even one remix is just perfect. I'd even call this an early Descent-mas gift.

Seconded. Descent: Destination Saturn is easily still my favorite flight sim game that I've ever played - and I've played many. Yeah, the physics in it may not be perfect, but it's still an amazing game with great music and definitely needs more love on OCR.

On to the track: EXCELLENT job of blending Callisto and the main theme together; I felt they dovetailed together just perfect. It took me a few more listens before I could spot the briefing music, though, although that's probably because I was too busy reading at the briefings to pay much attention to the music in that section when I was playing, lol. :-P The piano at 1:02 was an excellently timed surprise that worked perfectly for me. A good combination of sounds overall - I felt like I was back in that blasted Callisto mine with only 500 Vulcan rounds and a concussion missile to my name. Great stuff, CFX - I hope to hear more from you soon (even if it's not Descent stuff).

After years of visiting this site (seriously, about half of my music collection is from OCR), I finally registered just to express my appreciation for this song. Descent was one of the first PC games I ever played and I've always really loved the soundtrack, so it always baffled me how few people were covering or remixing it. Thanks, CFX, for not only covering one of my favorite games, but for making such a good piece. If the zombie Interplay ever make another Descent game, I hope this is what it sounds like.

Also, to all the OCR Descent fans, have you guys checked out D2X-XL? It's an extensive port of Descent 2 to OpenGL, to make it compatible with modern computers. The also added updated textures/models, and a bunch of gameplay and processing features. If you've still got copies of the original games, I suggest checking it out.

• 3 months later...

Is it just me or is the volume on this a bit low?

Descent has always been a goldmine for remixes, and this is just further proof of that. The synth, the drums, the paino, the guitar; all of it meshes really well and creates a very enjoyable soundscape. The part around 3:00 is simply amazing.

Good stuff, man.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02347 - Descent "Lost in the Mines"