OCR03808 - *YES* Seiken Densetsu 3 "Nightshade Masques" *PROJECT*

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Archangel
Your real name: Jaka Čibej (That's a Slovenian male name, short for Jakob - just to avoid any sex-change stuff, that happens kind of often. XD )
Your email address: 
Your website: http://www.reverbnation.com/jakacibejarchangel
Your userid: 23355 (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=23355)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana II)
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Ancient Dolphin
Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.: Hiroki Kikuta
Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MjUNNxcFUk

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

Greetings yet again, almighty primarchs!

This is my seventh submission. Please note that this track is a part of the Seiken Densetsu 3 Project Album.

I have to say that I wasn't very familiar with the source track when I started remixing it. When I played Seiken Densetsu 3, I chose a storyline that didn't involve the Mirage Palace, so I never heard the music in game, nor did I see what the Mirage Palace actually looked like. Upon hearing the music, I imagined a crystalline place full of mirrors, mists and illusions, but then I checked some videos of it on Youtube and it turned out to be a far creepier dungeon!

Thus, I decided to make this remix as weird as possible. I tried to make the song sound somewhat dissonant, unstable, almost a little incoherent, in order to encapsulate the feeling of illusions suddenly appearing and disappearing--hence the frequent sudden interruptions in an otherwise quite 'flowing' song. Also, to emphasize the contrast between the illusions (the apparitions of the heroes' loved ones and whatnot) and the true nature of the palace, I used instruments that sound almost as if they contradicted each other--for example, the piano, the celesta, and the glockenspiel sound extremely sweet and gentle and symbolize the scenes the heroes see in the palace, while the dramatic strings, the erratic woodwinds and the various symphonic slides, scratches, plucks etc. contribute to a rough horror-film sound.

First, the song progresses and reaches its climax in the middle part, where I used a lot of choirs (singing Veritas omnia vincit – Truth conquers all – obviously in reference to the illusions in the palace) accompanied by some heavy percussion. The overall sound reminded me of the music played in Moria (from Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings soundtrack).

The song then unwinds slowly (to let the guitar and the duduk shine) and ends with a creepy lullaby ending.

At the risk of sounding like a pompous buffoon, I like the way this arrangement turned out. The source tune gets stale pretty quickly, so I tried to make this song as dynamic as possible. I hope you guys and gals enjoy listening to it.

Here's the link to the mp3: 

Regards

J.

-----------------

Why do we keep paneling Jaka's stuff? :tomatoface: This is seriously awesome, fantastic production and arrangement, the dissonance is used extremely tastefully and doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the overall piece. I really like how you utilized the percussion, you nailed an extremely powerful sound that's sparingly used to great effect.

So much cool stuff going on here, I'm constantly impressed by how each of your mixes has such a different mood and feel to it... I don't think I've ever heard the same thing out of you twice and that's the biggest compliment I can give to someone who's remixing in one of the most popular genres out there. The little ethnic instruments and the off-kilter piano adds some real character to the track.

Serious respect for you Jaka :-) This is a track I'm sure to not forget anytime soon!

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I quit orchestral.

But seriously, nice production work and sequencing here. You've accomplished coveying such a haunting and beautiful mood here, which you should be proud of.

I did notice, though, that arrangement hasn't really been mentioned up until this point. I had trouble making a lot of connections, so I had to listen a few times and break it down:

:53 - 1:52 source

2:00 - 3:00 source

3:08 - 3:51 original backing with interspersed guitar plucks from source

4:13 - 4:31 source

My first attempt at a breakdown was much more slim on the source usage, but we look more than good now.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03808 - *YES* Seiken Densetsu 3 "Nightshade Masques" *PROJECT*