Mega Man1 Wily Stage 1 + Elec Man -- "Current Events"

ectogemia

REMIX updat'd

elec man source

mega man 1, wily tower 1 source

Welp, here's the final version of my superfunky megaquirky remix for this weeks' Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet entry. I'll take any criticisms anyone has to offer, but in the spirit of the competition, I'll be submitting this particular version or an older version to DarkeSword and an improved version (assuming I need to make some changes) based on your critiques to OCR.

Yes, the analog parts are supposed to sound very corny :P

Enjoy, and please leave constructive feedback! :nicework:

Mod Review

Cool Mix. Starts off a little rough - intro is fine, creative drums, but the lead synth that comes in is too loud at the start, and stuff generally seems too dry. That backing synth also is clashing frequencies with your lead. When the bass kicks in tho, brighter story! Nice production from there. You've got some cool parts here. Seems like the production gets slightly overcompressed at 1:14, altho someone I said had overcompressed production claimed to not have a compressor on his track earlier today so take that with a pinch of salt. When that dry lead comes back in from the intro, it sounds as exposed as before - put some reverb on it, the dry signal should actually put it at the right volume for the track if you do it right, so you won't even have to mess around with volume.

Hah 2:44-2:56 or so is awesome, love the creativity. Good stuff here! Fix the intro production and this shall be pretty cool. I'll come back and comment more on arrangement in a bit, I'm hungry, but at a glance the arrangement seemed cool, if not a little liberal at points.

Mod Review

Cool Mix. Starts off a little rough - intro is fine, creative drums, but the lead synth that comes in is too loud at the start, and stuff generally seems too dry. That backing synth also is clashing frequencies with your lead. When the bass kicks in tho, brighter story! Nice production from there. You've got some cool parts here. Seems like the production gets slightly overcompressed at 1:14, altho someone I said had overcompressed production claimed to not have a compressor on his track earlier today so take that with a pinch of salt. When that dry lead comes back in from the intro, it sounds as exposed as before - put some reverb on it, the dry signal should actually put it at the right volume for the track if you do it right, so you won't even have to mess around with volume.

Hah 2:44-2:56 or so is awesome, love the creativity. Good stuff here! Fix the intro production and this shall be pretty cool. I'll come back and comment more on arrangement in a bit, I'm hungry, but at a glance the arrangement seemed cool, if not a little liberal at points.

Which dry lead? The talkbox lead or the saw lead? They're both very dry. I'm not willing to change the talkbox lead, but I've been considering adding some reverb to the saw lead. The idea was to make the analog parts sound really dry by minimizing the processing, but I've gotten a fair amount of negative feedback on that idea. As such, I'm open to altering that particular lead.

And shit, yes, there is overcompression at 1:14. I kind of improvise on some of my production techniques since I've kinda figured out a lot of that stuff just by trial and error. 1:14 was me trying to be sneaky with a horrible scheme I devised to maximize the volume which made the part AFTER 1:14 sound bad, so I turned off the plugin I was using to maximize everything before that part, and it led to a little distortion as the volume instantly changed. Back to the drawing board on that :P I should really google how to do that properly.

Nice catch on that backing synth clashing with my talkbox lead early on. I hadn't caught that, and it's a fairly nasty error on my part.

And yes, as per my MO, the arrangement is definitely quite liberal, but I think there's plenty of source in there :P a lot of the "original" melodies were inspired by Elec Man, and you can probably hear that if you listen to them closely, but OCR judges aren't so interested in original melodies inspired by the source so much as they are the source itself :P

wtf u can't get outside feedback before the end of the round, you cheating butthole

<3 you

. I'll take any criticisms anyone has to offer, but in the spirit of the competition, i'll be submitting this particular version or an older version to darkesword and an improved version (assuming i need to make some changes) based on your critiques to ocr.

. I'll take any criticisms anyone has to offer, but in the spirit of the competition, i'll be submitting this particular version or an older version to darkesword and an improved version (assuming i need to make some changes) based on your critiques to ocr.

now what

<3

Which dry lead? The talkbox lead or the saw lead? They're both very dry. I'm not willing to change the talkbox lead.

The talkbox lead :P

As for not being willing to change it, may I ask why? For the record, reverb is best executed when its not noticed.Yes, dry is good in some aspects but I do feel the talkbox lead would benefit from just a touch of reverb so its not so exposed like it is. Its your call if you take my advice or not tho, so don't feel pressured :)

edit: YOU WIN, WILLROCK. I put just the tip of my reverb into the talkbox lead, and it sounds way better. I didn't see that coming :P Well, as promised, I guess I shouldn't submit the better-sounding version to WCRG :P shit!

The talkbox lead :P

As for not being willing to change it, may I ask why? For the record, reverb is best executed when its not noticed.Yes, dry is good in some aspects but I do feel the talkbox lead would benefit from just a touch of reverb so its not so exposed like it is. Its your call if you take my advice or not tho, so don't feel pressured :)

Well, I have a fairly amateurish ear for production. Not bad but not definitely not great.

The reason I'm not too keen on changing it is that I was intentionally going for a really dry analog section followed by a really wet funky section. The idea is great and all (AWESOME NARCISSISM, ECTO?), but as I said, all the crits I've gotten so far were along the lines of "cool mix, man, but that intro is a little dry." Maybe I should cave in and settle for "cool mix, man."

The talkbox is actually COMPLETELY dry. It isn't even routed to a mixer insert; that should speak to my commitment to keeping that particular lead dry :P hmm... I'll give it a shot adding a little reverb to it, though. Couldn't hurt. unless it does

updat'd

Okee, I made some production alterations as per Willrock's suggestions in addition to a couple more issues I noticed. I moved the bulk of the solo at the end up an octave and added a lot more rhythmic flair to it and colored the solo with more weird accidentals and such. Sounds WAY better now, and the talkbox doesn't clash with the bass anymore. I added reverb to the talkbox. I adjusted the volume of the square arps to make them more present when necessary. No, all of that did not take me the three hours since I got Willrock's crits to do :P I rediscovered my guitar in my closet after years of neglect and had a mad improv session. My fingers hurt (to be read in the voice of the old lady from Happy Gilmore).

I hate to be the guy who constantly uploads updates and expects feedback on incremental changes, but yeah, that's pretty much who I'm being right now :P

still sounds to me like backing synth at 0:28 is clashing with the lead. Small issue that can be overlooked in the grand scheme of things production wise, but fixing the small issues really makes a good project sound great :)

Compression is gone, sounds great to me now.

Arrangement is bloody good. My only complaint - and is this something I'm guilty of as well- is that Elec Man's takes a back-seat a lot of the time, but you have some fantastic source melding. Clearly you've got an eye for good arrangement.

Generally, this sounds good to me, though at times its a little liberal. Seems like you use a lot of the same source parts generally which makes it feel slightly more repetitive than it could be. Don't be afraid to use more source, and don't be afraid to give Elec Man more spotlight! :D

Honestly tho, for subbing, I'd consider the yes, Source checks out, its got plenty of variation and production is solid. Nice work! :D

still sounds to me like backing synth at 0:28 is clashing with the lead. Small issue that can be overlooked in the grand scheme of things production wise, but fixing the small issues really makes a good project sound great :)

Compression is gone, sounds great to me now.

Arrangement is bloody good. My only complaint - and is this something I'm guilty of as well- is that Elec Man's takes a back-seat a lot of the time, but you have some fantastic source melding. Clearly you've got an eye for good arrangement.

Generally, this sounds good to me, though at times its a little liberal. Seems like you use a lot of the same source parts generally which makes it feel slightly more repetitive than it could be. Don't be afraid to use more source, and don't be afraid to give Elec Man more spotlight! :D

Honestly tho, for subbing, I'd consider the yes, Source checks out, its got plenty of variation and production is solid. Nice work! :D

Well, Hoo-Ray! Thanks much for the multiple listens :D

I'll fix the lingering lead clashing and sub it. If I get NO'd for, um, liberalism, then I'll adjust it. I like it the way it is now, but will OCR like it? If so, I won't fix what ain't broke :P

edit: hah, and you said I have a good ear (WAIT, EYE) for arrangement? You know, I still don't really know what arrangement actually means :P I just try to make cool music, hah. Can someone give me a good working definition for it? Yes, I'm aware google is at my fingertips and that I sound like a dumb-butt asking such a fundamental question. Deal wid it.