OCR02354 - Wild Arms "Unstoppable"

djpretzel

Hmm, oh yeah, I'm really digging the radio-style intro and outro here. And yes, them beats do indeed pack a punch, which is exactly what you would expect from a Drum and Bass ReMix. You got lots of fun energy pouring out of this one, and I can hear some of the Pendulum influences. The little break in the middle was a good call, especially when you deliver more deliberate beats right after that. A great track for sure.

Given the original source is a battle cue, I can see how it could fit well for Flex's... ahem... style. (no pun intended)

So it does start (and ultimately end) a little bizarrely with the FM radio soundset, with that laid back rhodes, though it soon shifts over to some nice clean radio-esque drum n' bass (though later shifting in dubstep elements within the second half). Faithfulness to the source is easily noted, and major props for even showing some variation to the theme by transposing the key on the go-arounds here.

That breakdown at the 2 minute mark, with the velocity-varied polysynths and eerie focus on higher-ranged instrumentation, managed to show a strong sense of calm before building up that urgency again. I'd say that's a classier moment coming from his way of writing, especially considering everything that I've heard from Flex in the past through the PRC and recent unofficial albums.

I don't think I can see much bad to say about this one at all - in terms of the writing, it ended up being one of Flex's best released works. He might not agree from what I've read in the writeup, but given that it shows a drastic writing evolution I can see it to be a start towards bigger things. I say keep up the strong efforts for 2012 :)

I'm feeling the delicious jazzy radio intro/outro sandwich. Loved this track, tons of energy. Big fatty beats. I liked the transition at 2:20. All the synths are very effective and enjoyable but maybe a little standard/expected. The intro/outro helps add more character to the track though

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

That intro is deceptive, this is an energetic DnB take on the battle theme. It does a solid job for a battle type track, although I feel the mayhem could be upped some with some more crazy effects thrown in. Not sure how much of a fan I am of the slow outro here, it comes off as a bit out of place to me.

Perhaps I'm just projecting opinions with those critiques, but the track is definitely enjoyable for me, and stood out personally.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02354 - Wild Arms "Unstoppable"