OCR01371 - EarthBound "Battling Organs"

i've kinda been expecting a track like this. it's a well made, but im not a huge fan. i've got more respect for what Mazedude wass trying to do than what he did...mostly because i can't get into the mix at all. there are some sweet parts, contrasts, percussion and use of the different elements, but overall it's just not enjoyable to listen to. i find the best parts are what i can piece together from the original, and not what the artist has rearranged or re-interpreted. to me, that's the sign of an ineffective mix.

there are some remixes with brillaint additions that build on the original tracks here. in this particular mix i think the percussion and bass were well put together elements in themself, but overall i would have preferred a harmony in the tradition of the source track.

the brilliance of the original is that it took separately strange elements and harmonized them together into something really palpable and pimp. As wierd as the original was, it was insurmountably tight to listen to because it melded together so well. There are alot of competing elements here and alot of zany sounds.

given, there are some tight parts in this mix. the more i listen to it the more i can tolerate it and even get into it, but truly i think this remix is flashier than it is good. i guess it's everyones goal to make an estranging earthbound remix chuck full of atonal theory and all sorts of madness, but i think there's more to the music than that in earthbound. it's one of the most amazing original game soundtracks i've ever heard--and unique both in concept, sound and feel. but the key was that it immediately takes you in, and you get it in one listen. this takes more effort to enjoy than a remix ought to. it's taxing.

given... this is almost inevitable with earthbound. eb's probably one of the toughest games to try and remix. i applaud and respect mazedude's effort, but i think there's another method for remixing this track waiting with a little more spirit... :)

I agree with you 100%. Mazedude's remix sounds awsome, but it just an't earthbound.

And I was wondering, what is atonal theory? I'm VERY interested in learning more about this.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So, pretty random, but this was played at a wedding reception I was at yesterday, right after the Electric Slide played. Everyone pretty much cleared the dancefloor in confusion as this progressed through the first 15 seconds, but I was totally jacked and ran out there and danced the shit out of this awesome ReMix.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01371 - EarthBound "Battling Organs"