OCR01371 - EarthBound "Battling Organs"

This is a very very bad attempt at making music. Whether maze was going for a 20th century avant guardesque sound or just trying to be original, this song soundly fails to do either. I suggest you pick up some J.S. Bach and listen to what battling organs REALLY should sound like. Next time go for a baroque style, not some ridiculous random jumble of notes pasted together. And don't bother quoting this and replying with "you just don't understand modern music" if you've never studied Schoenberg.

You either don't understand Mazedude, the original piece, or both.

Next time go for a baroque style, not some ridiculous random jumble of notes pasted together. And don't bother quoting this and replying with "you just don't understand modern music" if you've never studied Schoenberg.

I don't think you've studied Schoenberg either if you live here in the 21st century and still consider his work "modern". Next time go for a more carefully researched criticism, not some ridiculous random jumble of name throwing pasted together.

This is a very very bad attempt at making music. Whether maze was going for a 20th century avant guardesque sound or just trying to be original, this song soundly fails to do either. I suggest you pick up some J.S. Bach and listen to what battling organs REALLY should sound like. Next time go for a baroque style, not some ridiculous random jumble of notes pasted together. And don't bother quoting this and replying with "you just don't understand modern music" if you've never studied Schoenberg.

1. This was definately not supposed to or should have sounded like baroque music. The organs also aren't the type of organs that are found in Bach's music.

2. Schoenberg does not define modern music. He created the twelve tone row, which was popular for a certain period of time but has since died out in popularity.

i've kinda been expecting a track like this. it's a well made, but im not a huge fan. i've got more respect for what Mazedude wass trying to do than what he did...mostly because i can't get into the mix at all. there are some sweet parts, contrasts, percussion and use of the different elements, but overall it's just not enjoyable to listen to. i find the best parts are what i can piece together from the original, and not what the artist has rearranged or re-interpreted. to me, that's the sign of an ineffective mix.

there are some remixes with brillaint additions that build on the original tracks here. in this particular mix i think the percussion and bass were well put together elements in themself, but overall i would have preferred a harmony in the tradition of the source track.

the brilliance of the original is that it took separately strange elements and harmonized them together into something really palpable and pimp. As wierd as the original was, it was insurmountably tight to listen to because it melded together so well. There are alot of competing elements here and alot of zany sounds.

given, there are some tight parts in this mix. the more i listen to it the more i can tolerate it and even get into it, but truly i think this remix is flashier than it is good. i guess it's everyones goal to make an estranging earthbound remix chuck full of atonal theory and all sorts of madness, but i think there's more to the music than that in earthbound. it's one of the most amazing original game soundtracks i've ever heard--and unique both in concept, sound and feel. but the key was that it immediately takes you in, and you get it in one listen. this takes more effort to enjoy than a remix ought to. it's taxing.

given... this is almost inevitable with earthbound. eb's probably one of the toughest games to try and remix. i applaud and respect mazedude's effort, but i think there's another method for remixing this track waiting with a little more spirit... :)

I feel honored that my request to Mazedude got posted here.

I've been dying to hear a remix of Battle 1 for years

It was fulfilled beforehand. :| What you meant to say is you've been dyig to hear a

proffesionally made and well arranged remix of Battle 1 for years. :lol:

:oops: Well, Mazedude certainly put my work to shame. :oops: On a positive note, you've inspired me to try and improve Novel Sound as a cover tune for my future album. :) It will definately be posted in this thread later as a tribute to this rocking good song!

Great song. Excellent source material.

Two thumbs up!!! 8)

9/10

i liked the game, but i didn't like this remix, nothing agianst you dude it just wasn't my cup of tea. but i can tell you put alot of work into this and i give you an A for effort, but a C- for quality, but thisd is just me.

All the music from the Earthbound Soundtrack is clearly quaint and VERY innovative.

I never imagined that the battle theme, of all the Earthbound themes, could be remixed and taken in this direction. As weird and psychotic as it is, I'm digging this mix by Mazedude.

There are certain guidelines that apply to "tonal" music and "atonal" music alike. This doesn't follow any of those guidelines which is what makes it so great. It follows those crazy Tanaka rules that we all associate with Earthbound. To me, association is EVERYTHING in music. Most people (myself included) would say that they have an aversion to a lot of so-called atonal music the 20th century has produced, but IMO it is because we have nothing to associate it with. Just listen to John Williams work on Star Wars. Bits of the music on Tatooine delves into the realm of atonality (e.g. the Jawa themes) but, although it is a bit unusual, we have little aversion to it because of the strong associations we have with it.

This is 100% Earthbound. Great work

nightatfourside0hv.gif

image6jg.gif

image31za.gif

You're a machine, Mazedude!

One more

cowbell1.gif

I love you

Anyway, I am very happy to see another great Earthbound remix...It has always been one of my favorite games...

It's strange, but I never expected anyone to remix this song, because of the chord progression and just how off everything in the original track really is, in rhythm and key. What Mazedude did is take a battle song that is (to me) one of the most annoying ones to listen to, and expounded on it tenfold (aiyee, I used the word tenfold), but still managed to give it a great and funky beat, and make me listen to it over and over just trying to grasp at what is exactly going on. Good job, and it really does capture the spirit of Earthbound. Thanks.

I've only been on ocremix for about 2 years, but I jave to say I've never heard a mix this... how do I say it? trip-funky.

this is a wonderful work of music and art. it reminds me of playing electroplankton:P

earhbound is a tough game to remix with it's strange courds and stlye, but none the less great earthbound after earthbound remix keeps poping up on ocremix.

I feel honored that my request to Mazedude got posted here.

I've been dying to hear a remix of Battle 1 for years

It was fulfilled beforehand. :| What you meant to say is you've been dyig to hear a

proffesionally made and well arranged remix of Battle 1 for years. :lol:

No, I mean I talked to Mazedude and asked him to give it a shot because I think the song would fit perfectly with his style of remixing, and hot damn does it ever.

I always figured Mazedude would be the best guy to attempt this track and it's just a fantastic job.

I'd love to hear more attempts on the piece, but it would be damned hard to make a Battle 1 remix as trippy as this.... PERFECTLY captures the feel and soul of Earthbound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tell me I'm not the only one who noticed this...

Have any of you played Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon, for N64?

Yeah. This reminds me SO much of Ghost Toys Castle... At least I'm pretty sure that's the place. It uses an extremely simmilar synth set... It's crazy. I want to ask the guy if that's where he got the idea for this from.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong; the mix is crazy awsome. I love it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01371 - EarthBound "Battling Organs"