OCR02358 - Metroid "KR44441D"

djpretzel

A jazzy Drum and Bass ReMix, huh? We'll let's see here. Yeah, very laid back and mellow, but with a great grooving beat, that's something I really enjoy. I know what this reminds me of musically, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment, but it's good. Breaking down into half-tempo halfway through was a great move. I liked the arrangement here and the epiano sounded very nice. Great ReMix.

Jazz and DnB eh? Different direction to expect from Mustin, but I shall take a look :)

This chord-heavy arrangement could almost be mistaken for something borrowing from some of the rhodes-oriented artists in the Bad Dudes camp, namely Joshua Morse and Diggi Dis (whom coincidentally offered help here), in a good way mind. While it does keep with the source's original structure albeit with segments of the track spliced to fit a more contemporary setting, what seems to be the main charm here is how the track could somehow be so minimalist and yet so engaging; all the gate and phaser manipulations on the drums (and in later parts the organ as well) and the minimal melodic support has contributed to one of Mustin's more interesting productions that I've come and witnessed. The part at 2:30 where the final segment of the Kraid melody was brought down to half-speed was also very cool to see as well.

I say this is a worthy Metroid arrangement; experiments with the source without going too far, and even going into territory that we may not expect Mustin to have done. Very classy, I dig this :)

Enjoyable piece, and a unique take on a great original. The time signature change is well done, it's recognizable but personalized, just works, really. I like the stop-start shenanigans quite a bit too. There's also plenty of subtle variance and development within the piece.

The piece has a pretty chill and contained mood. I think it could have broken away from that more at some point. I kind of kept waiting for it to burst into something more aggressive (I somewhat expected the fastest part of the source come in like that). Tension-release sort of thing. However, Rexy has a good point about this mix being pretty minimalistic, so perhaps with subsequent listens I'll start to appreciate its chosen dynamics more. A good one in any case, and very importantly, a refreshingly different take on Kraid's theme.

--Eino

Serious! I'm so frustrated with everything I do (even rock) being referred to as Jazz. If you played this tune for a REAL Jazz musician, they would scoff and possibly laugh at you if you told them it was "Jazz." I don't want Jazz musicians thinking that what I say I do is Jazz as I feel it would reflect poorly on me, making me seem ignorant.

Let's just all take it easy on labelling something as Jazz just because it has 7 or 9 chords and/or a saxophone. Just listen to the audio examples I gave. It's pretty clear what is Jazz music. The influence of Jazz music can be found in all styles of music, but I think "Jazz" as a label/genre is much more narrow.

Serious! ...Let's just all take it easy on labelling something as Jazz just because it has 7 or 9 chords and/or a saxophone. Just listen to the audio examples I gave. It's pretty clear what is Jazz music. The influence of Jazz music can be found in all styles of music, but I think "Jazz" as a label/genre is much more narrow.

Hmmmm... I actually think it'd be preferable if we instead all took it easy on negating the genre classifications of others, rather than expressing 110% certitude that any given piece of music A is expressly not genre B or C, because it lacks characteristics D & E. That all seems a bit rote, especially when some of the greatest jazz musicians of all time have embraced a definition of the genre that is expansive & inclusive rather than limiting & categorical.

But we can agree to disagree - it's a great mix either way.

To be fair, most people have been saying 'jazzy' which I'd say means 'jazz-influenced' more than 'of the jazz genre'. Perhaps this is merely an extension of your rage at The OneUps frequently being called a jazz band (a complaint which I would conversely deem entirely justified)?

To be fair, most people have been saying 'jazzy' which I'd say means 'jazz-influenced' more than 'of the jazz genre'. Perhaps this is merely an extension of your rage at The OneUps frequently being called a jazz band (a complaint which I would conversely deem entirely justified)?

Well, I called it "jazz/dnb" in my writeup, but let's approach this from a different angle - I've seen Mustin get upset over The OneUps being called a jazz band on Twitter, etc., but if you don't give people a better alternative, they're going to persist, and I don't remember any suggestions, nor am I hearing any now. This is the problem with genres - they sometimes require the "least worst" selection, because nothing else intuitively presents itself as being more accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02358 - Metroid "KR44441D"