Anyone else annoyed with the Playlist in FL10?

I've been toying around with FL 10 for about a week now and just yesterday learned how to use their new version of the playlist. ("Locking to content" for each 'track' as you go if you're use to using pattern blocks) Is anyone else annoyed with how that's done? I understand they tried to put everything on one screen, but it seems such an inconvenience for people use to using pattern blocks. I had to do some digging to get the old pattern block playlist back on my screen. (General settings>Enable legacy pattern blocks)When I did that it gave me a message saying, "Pattern instances (blocks) are obsolete and will not appear in future versions." I don't know about anyone else, but that makes me never wanna upgrade again. I've been using pattern blocks since early 2000's or so. Such a switch would stall my workflow. Not make it better. Having to right click on every track as I go to lock it's content just adds extra frustration.

Can't they just keep the best of both worlds and leave the option in to use pattern blocks?

Anyone else feel the same way?

Anyone else feel the same way?

I was gonna post a giant rant about how pathetic people are complain about this stuff all the time

but I'd rather just say "Lern 2 templates nub" and be done with it. Create a template with 99 lock to content tracks. Problem solved.

Even though I don't really understand why you'd want to stick to pattern blocks. I used em for a couple years and had no issue learning clips. (Not lock to content). Besides, clips are better.

for now you can still use the blocks, my only beef with FL10 is it trying to ram the ABC piano roll down your throat by switching back to it constantly and every time you start the program, I wonder if the graphic piano roll is also considered "obsolete"...

This is much more annoying to me than a lack of pattern blocks. ^^^^

yeah, is there any way to permanently change the default visual settings for the piano roll? Or the zoom of the piano roll for that matter? Unlike 96% of the people who use FL, I actually know how to play music, and seeing a big alphabet-for-idiots constantly jars me out of my composing flow, considering how frequently I have to change it.

That and the view being way too zoomed in.

yeah, is there any way to permanently change the default visual settings for the piano roll? Or the zoom of the piano roll for that matter? Unlike 96% of the people who use FL, I actually know how to play music, and seeing a big alphabet-for-idiots constantly jars me out of my composing flow, considering how frequently I have to change it.

That and the view being way too zoomed in.

I posted about this on the official FL suggestions forum. No reply, and they usually reply to everything. :C

I have been using FL since version 5, and I personally enjoy the new clips over the pattern blocks. They are much more helpful. I was confused when they first changed this in FL10 though. But it is much more of help in the long run, especially in the organizing sense. But I can understand preferences, and I do think it would be better to let people have that option if they choose. But as long as FLs functions stay the same, I will be happy.

I was gonna post a giant rant about how pathetic people are complain about this stuff all the time

but I'd rather just say "Lern 2 templates nub" and be done with it. Create a template with 99 lock to content tracks. Problem solved. ^^^^

Tried that. Turns out you have to have content in that pattern before you can lock it. It wont let me create locks for blank patterns.

It is a matter of preference. I like the pattern blocks. And I just dont see the harm in leaving the option to have them in.

As for the ABC piano, yeah that is pretty annoying, but if there's a hotkey to switch it back to graphic then it's really not that big an issue.

Most likely they just don't want to have to support a lot of outdated functionality on every new version going forward. Cuts down on development time is the big advantage, but also offering multiple methods of doing things sometimes just confuses newcomers. I definitely prefer the playlist now that I know my way around it.

And it's not as if you are required to update, either. Even then, your updates are completely free. They don't really have to do anything to keep old customers reeled in because they're not losing money.

I like the clip playlist, it's really versatile and gives you way more control.

Plus clips help you get away from block style composing. They're easier to manage as far as slicing, positioning and stopping is concerned.

You don't need to make a new pattern to cut off the second half of a drum beat. It's also easier to make variations, because you can "Make Unique" a clip at any point in time to make it stand on its own as a pattern. With pattern blocks you need to clone the pattern and then paint the new one instead.

Re: the ABC piano roll, just press "m" the first time you start up the piano roll in FL. It's silly but really not that much of a nuisance.

when I do that, it plays a note, instead of switching. Or am I doing something wrong?

I right-click on my instrument of choice, select "Piano Roll" and once inside, press "m".

You don't need to make a new pattern to cut off the second half of a drum beat. It's also easier to make variations, because you can "Make Unique" a clip at any point in time to make it stand on its own as a pattern. With pattern blocks you need to clone the pattern and then paint the new one instead.

This is actually a point I'd like to emphasize. I know my workflow is a little skewed because I try to streamline everything for One Hour Compos, but this function is really handy for me.

Like everything, give it at least a couple of tries before you write it off (and there's nothing stopping you from reverting if you decide it's not for you). I know that in one of the updates they changed right-click behavior for scrollbars in the playlist and that kind of threw me for a loop at first but after a few sessions I adjusted just fine.