OCR01373 - Marathon "Neo-Pacificist"

nice mix, very chill, very groove-a-licious. it's funny, since none of the Marathon games really had BG music, just the intro song. Marathon is all about ambience, and giving off a proper atmosphere. Something like background music just doesn't do! (Marathon Infinity's Intro song, by Power of Seven was just F'n awesome, I wish someone would do a mix to that :/ Here's to wishful thinking...) great job, dude, this definitely takes me back.

Mac user since '86.

I am a LONG time fan of Marathon, been playing since day one. And still play with Aleph One (Marathon build for OSX, Windows, and Linux available from source.bungie.org ).

Craig has done up most of the songs from the original sound track, and they are all done really well. I feel they have a lot more depth, and character than that of the originals. They give a more rich atmosphere when playing as well. Which is very key to playing marathon, the game is very different (and superior in just about every way) than Doom. And this goes for all three marathons, although only the first has music, which was kind of a let down for Durandal and Infiniti. But because of the way the game is played, the music provides a more emotional response to your surroundings. And with this remix (as well as his others) being so much more rich in texture, it provides for a better playing experience. (sorry for being long winded :) )

Finally, a Marathon remix at OCRemix. <3

Very chilled. Very peaceful. Very lazing-around-on-a-space-station music.

Kinda reminds me of the Acme Station level from Marathon Infinity.

Well, except for the life-sucking lack of oxygen and the hostile alien troops on board.

Marathon Trilogy for life. Best shooters evar, IMHO.

PEACE OUT!

Okay, here's an on-topic thing:

Once again, in the judges panel commentary and so forth in the editorial/introduction, I'm struck by the disconnect between what this site purports to be about - "remixes" - and what it actually is. What we have here is the literal definition of a remix... and yet it was accepted only grudgingly, because OC "Remix" is more and more about creating new works that only sample or are inspired by the existing music.

That's great if you're an artist, I suppose - it gives you lots more room for personal creativity - but (and this will probably make me unpopular) I'm strictly a consumer and a fan of game music. I come here to find interpretations of music I already like. If a song is completely transformed, I have to wonder what's the point of connecting the new work with the original, except to note inspiration?

Perhaps a rename of the site is in order, to better reflect its actual content.

EDIT: I'm not saying people should stop making new stuff. I'd just like there to be a bit more acceptance of songs that "merely" rearrange what's already there in fun and interesting ways.

Okay, here's an on-topic thing:

Once again, in the judges panel commentary and so forth in the editorial/introduction, I'm struck by the disconnect between what this site purports to be about - "remixes" - and what it actually is. What we have here is the literal definition of a remix... and yet it was accepted only grudgingly, because OC "Remix" is more and more about creating new works that only sample or are inspired by the existing music.

That's great if you're an artist, I suppose - it gives you lots more room for personal creativity - but (and this will probably make me unpopular) I'm strictly a consumer and a fan of game music. I come here to find interpretations of music I already like. If a song is completely transformed, I have to wonder what's the point of connecting the new work with the original, except to note inspiration?

Perhaps a rename of the site is in order, to better reflect its actual content.

EDIT: I'm not saying people should stop making new stuff. I'd just like there to be a bit more acceptance of songs that "merely" rearrange what's already there in fun and interesting ways.

Plain covers/remixes are a dime a dozen. Read the FAQ. Read the submission standards. THAT's what the site is about.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Yes, smooth and smarmy it is. However, it is also rather boring and not great for anything besides ambiance. There's no "voice" so to speak. Not actual singing, that's not what I mean. I just mean there's nothing that really happens, no instrument to speak to you and tell you something, a story, as so many of the remixes here do.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Smooth, Jazzy, Dark, Atmospheric yet light-hearted-ish.

It is noticeably repetitive, but to me this seems like it'd be the background music for a cave level, so it can be forgiven.

This is music worth downloading and studying by.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01373 - Marathon "Neo-Pacificist"