Milky Way Wishes: A Kirby Super Star Tribute - History

Arek the Absolute

Alright, just to make sure, these are the following who currently have submitted WIP's:

DJBren

Usa

Monobrow

Time to critique them all for fun :). These won't be serious "deep" critique's more as just critique's to show that I appreciate your work. Also, if they suck, don't mind them. I am really tired and am lacking in brain capacity.

Monobrow: Your track has that "mysterious aura". It fits perfectly with the level that it is associated with. I am happy that you chose to create it that way. The planet sort of emits this "?" sort of feel, which I suppose is why the planet is named that :) Fits perfectly. :nicework:

Usa: Your track fits perfectly with level one. It is an upbeat song, and an upbeat level as well. Kirby has to constantly "change the weather" by going through one door multiple times, which makes it a level that you won't stop moving in. Fits very nicely. :nicework:

DJBren: Very nice track. It maintains the same dark feeling that you get when you fight Marx. I can just imagie Marx slowly flying down as the beginning of the song plays, and when the snare rolls, I can imagine him doing his laugh/cackle and beginning the fight. :nicework:

Good job to all of you. Keep up the good work!

:puppyeyes: Wooow, there REALLY have been some postings while I was sleeping nicely :) As I awakened there were almost twice the pages that were there before on this thread... Oh yeah, and thanks for everone on their comments!

You're absolutely right. The main difference lies in the fact that your mix is (I'm guessing) 112 BPM and the original is (also guessing) 184 BPM. As a result, one beat of rest in your piece is .5357 seconds, whereas a beat of rest in the .spc is but .3261 seconds, making your pause (even though it is the same number of beats) 164% as long in real time. But some drums and other percussion should alleviate that feeling of hanging and give the song a smoother feel.

You really think it sounds like hanging or something? It's totally OK to me (or I would have changed it in the first place), but maybe I will add some woodblocks to the second repetition of the first part to keep it even more interesting. And yeah, the woodblocks on my keyboard are the way cutest woodblock sounds I've ever heard, they fit into the genre very very well!

About your WIP: I did notice how the chord was wrong in the first WIP actually, but I just took it as "artistic" license or something...Nice to hear it the way it was in the original though. I am liking what I hear so far...it certainly has a light and carefree style. Maybe that in itself just rubs your friend the wrong way...I myself like it.

Edit: The pause with the guitar is fine too...it just reminds the listener that this is a light hearted kirby mix...I myself think this mix is just the right tempo...it leaves enough time for each instrument to be explored in their little way, then in the silence of the guitar transition, the next instrument jumps in. It expresses simplicity, I guess.

I also like that violin instrument...it's very charming, especially when it goes a tad off key. For some reason, it makes me think of Sim City...strange...but anyway, nice.

Yes, in fact I slowed it down because I wanted to do these instrument changes to make it sound more cheeky and playful. I think so far everything is right, but - reading that you heard the wrong chord in the first WIP - can you maybe help me here on the chords at the very end of the second WIP, something on them sounds wrong, but not too wrong, so I can't hear it (I am absolutely not an expert when it comes to notation, chords and musical theory, I still have to learn a lot there).

Oh yeah, and Lightwarmth: You really think the flute sounds totally bad? It's not a piccolo, though (the piccolo I have on my keyboard sounds worse than the regular flute played higher). I think it sounds better than many sample CDs I know of. I could try and move it down an octave, though and test if it works out. I could also make a few notes of it a bit off-key to add to the childish-ness :)

Again, thanks, everyone for their comments!

To me, the chords sound fine until 0:57, where it gets a little jumbled. Maybe the reason they dont sound 'right' is because the song wants something new, something different than the guitar playing the harmony for part 2. Since you have a violen playing the melody, maybe the flute could play the harmony for part 2 :wink: *shrug* who knows it might actually work. Experiment and see what you like most. By the way, I really like the way you decided to take yours, it reminds me of green greens when I listen to it.

To me, the chords sound fine until 0:57, where it gets a little jumbled. Maybe the reason they dont sound 'right' is because the song wants something new, something different than the guitar playing the harmony for part 2. Since you have a violen playing the melody, maybe the flute could play the harmony for part 2 :wink: *shrug* who knows it might actually work. Experiment and see what you like most. By the way, I really like the way you decided to take yours, it reminds me of green greens when I listen to it.

It's definitely not a matter of instrumentation, it's in the chords, specifically the last 6 ones, not counting in the very last 2, they are absolutely right, I can hear that. And yeah, the violin needs some improvement, I know this and maybe will work on it today. I also had an idea of a cute woodblock (yeah, there actually happens to be something like that) in the portions of the theme that are played by the bassoon.

I may as well toss my 2 cents in.

Usa: Great stuff, I really like what you're doing. Keep moving in that direction.

Monobrow: This fits the mood very well too. The 2nd half could use some work though.

DJBren: I like the direction you're going in, but that's waaaaay too bass heavy to be healthy. It also doesn't seem very exciting at this point. Hopefully you have a plan for that.

While I'm at it I may as well spill my ideas as to how the art will play out. These are ideas, not art directions (yet).

-In Milky Way Wishes, the start menu has 19 powers. We'll probably illustrate all of those.

-I also think each planet/chapter should have it's own illustration. So that's around another 7.

-There a couple "movie scenes" at the begining and end of Milky Way Wishes. If possible I'd like all of those illustrated.

-We might illustrate the bosses (see below)

BIG PROBLEM!!!

At the end of every Milky Way Wishes planet, Kirby encounters a boss. Every time, the same boss music plays (the RPG boss has a slight variation though). Now, we have 3 options with dealing with this:

1) Drop the boss battles: I'd rather not have this happen as it leaves plotholes in the story and makes the overal plot a lot less interesting since there's no action till the end. Not a good way to make a project.

2) We have 1 remix of the boss music and play it at each battle: Egh, I don't like this option either. The project will look cheap if we reuse music.

3) Each boss gets their own remix: This option isn't the easiest, but it looks like the best one. Milky Way Wishes has a diverse array of planets, and similarly, a diverse array of bosses. This means there is a diverse array of potential remixes. Among the bosses, Kirby fights Whispy Woods, a whale, Kracko, a chameleon, a temple spirit, Heavy Lobster, and an RPG engine. That should be just enough variety for this option to work. How do you guys (the remixers) feel about this?

Whoo... long post. <(^_^; )>

3) Each boss gets their own remix: This option isn't the easiest, but it looks like the best one. Milky Way Wishes has a diverse array of planets, and similarly, a diverse array of bosses. This means there is a diverse array of potential remixes. Among the bosses, Kirby fights Whispy Woods, a whale, Kracko, a chameleon, a temple spirit, Heavy Lobster, and an RPG engine. That should be just enough variety for this option to work.

I like this one the best. You can do a theme in many different music styles! For example, I could do the boss theme in the same style as the Floria theme, with guitar strumming, flutes and the like. What do you think?

Ha! Now that's something I like! Why not have the remixer that's covering the said planet also cover their own version of the Boss Battle theme in the same style? Awesome idea Usa. :D

Keep in mind that these boss themes only need to (and probably should) be a minute or two. A mini-remix per say. :P

OK, WIP time once again!

I changed a lot of things, refined a lot of things, tried different things and ended up almost the same as before. I'm not yet 100% content with what I got, but I am very satisfied with the outcome of the second section, which is new in this WIP.

For now, I left the wrong chords at the end of the violin passage untouched, I hope someone can get a hint for me, or else I am forced to do it myself by trial-and-error.

I added slightly detuned-ness to the flutes and the clarinet, and I think it sounds more realistic now.

As always, any comments are welcome! :)

Wow this is gonna be one tough nut to crack. I started fiddling around with it last night.Jordex just had to pick one of the more guitar unfriendly mixes :) . But thats not saying I wasnt able to get something going. I kinda have but we might have to take a few more liberties with it. I'm feeling jazzy.

Loving that Usa!

As to the boss idea, that is a cool idea to make the remixer of said planet cover it's boss theme. I don't think I have a planet (not sure) so it's all good (less remixing for me is good as long as I get one song...)

I'm going to start mine today. Expect a bit of a WIP later. As I said, production isn't my strong suite... composing is.

I may as well toss my 2 cents in.

Usa: Great stuff, I really like what you're doing. Keep moving in that direction.

Monobrow: This fits the mood very well too. The 2nd half could use some work though.

DJBren: I like the direction you're going in, but that's waaaaay too bass heavy to be healthy. It also doesn't seem very exciting at this point. Hopefully you have a plan for that.

While I'm at it I may as well spill my ideas as to how the art will play out. These are ideas, not art directions (yet).

-In Milky Way Wishes, the start menu has 19 powers. We'll probably illustrate all of those.

-I also think each planet/chapter should have it's own illustration. So that's around another 7.

-There a couple "movie scenes" at the begining and end of Milky Way Wishes. If possible I'd like all of those illustrated.

-We might illustrate the bosses (see below)

BIG PROBLEM!!!

At the end of every Milky Way Wishes planet, Kirby encounters a boss. Every time, the same boss music plays (the RPG boss has a slight variation though). Now, we have 3 options with dealing with this:

1) Drop the boss battles: I'd rather not have this happen as it leaves plotholes in the story and makes the overal plot a lot less interesting since there's no action till the end. Not a good way to make a project.

2) We have 1 remix of the boss music and play it at each battle: Egh, I don't like this option either. The project will look cheap if we reuse music.

3) Each boss gets their own remix: This option isn't the easiest, but it looks like the best one. Milky Way Wishes has a diverse array of planets, and similarly, a diverse array of bosses. This means there is a diverse array of potential remixes. Among the bosses, Kirby fights Whispy Woods, a whale, Kracko, a chameleon, a temple spirit, Heavy Lobster, and an RPG engine. That should be just enough variety for this option to work. How do you guys (the remixers) feel about this?

Whoo... long post. <(^_^; )>

Erh...cough...We talked about those issues together....credit hog :)

But ya, KWarp and I are really leaning on option three, though I didn't know if you guys would like it or not. I was thinking that it would be too much, but hey. IF you guys are up for it, all the better ^_^

I think the idea of having the boss music remixed by each remixer is a great idea, as long as the remixers are up to it.

Well, its not my area but... I think it'd be cool if the boss music for each world sorta thematically ties into the music for the world.

Also! Artists, I found a pretty good resource for Kirby Superstar character references here:

http://sprites.fireball20xl.com/NSA/HTML/Kirby/star.htm

Also, KWarp, do you want the artists to draw Kirby in his normal form in the pictures or do you want us to just pick abilities that seem suited to the situation?

How many of the artists for this project know how to make animated gifs? I was thinking that maybe, if you'd be willing to put forth a little more effort, we could maybe use 2-3 frame animated gifs for each picture. KWarp, will animated gifs work with that flash storybook engine you have going?

Uhm... if anyone has seen the anime Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ you'll see what I'm trying to get at. And if you're willing to stand the wait you could try torrenting it off animesuki. (WARNING: its a cutesie cutsie anime)