Milky Way Wishes: A Kirby Super Star Tribute - History

Arek the Absolute

• 2 months later...

Did yah know that Kirby 20th anniversary is this year and they did't release a Albumn of milkyway wishes like how long the artwork is done the track's are done did't see the coming soon video of it never release it's been years since 2010 or something and now it suppose to be happening halc suppose to be charge I know it might take a while to release it maybe this year , next year , coming years or so here it is the dkc3 album is out but other albums releases must be patiences so yah keep waiting for this album for so long I love this album and I still wait as I can

Did yah know that Kirby 20th anniversary is this year and they did't release a Albumn of milkyway wishes like how long the artwork is done the track's are done did't see the coming soon video of it never release it's been years since 2010 or something and now it suppose to be happening halc suppose to be charge I know it might take a while to release it maybe this year , next year , coming years or so here it is the dkc3 album is out but other albums releases must be patiences so yah keep waiting for this album for so long I love this album and I still wait as I can

took the words out of my mouth

• 2 months later...

The album is NOT cancelled.

Arek has taken an action without consulting staff OR any of the artists on this album. He has released your music without your consent, and if he does not remove the content he made available immediately, he will be banned from this community permanently.

Releasing someone else's music is a delicate process based on trust, and while album directors have a great deal of power, they don't get to decide when and where to release music that they didn't make, without consulting the artists who made it.

We will work towards resolving this matter today.

That's good. It seems the height of foolishness to cancel an album when most of it is done.

Well, I want to be clear. Album directors do have a lot of power, and if they want to step down at any point, that is of course their decision. Integrity & respect for contributors would suggest that they at least consider a replacement director, i.e. handing things off to someone else for the last mile, which has worked well on several albums.

What they absolutely cannot do is simply release everything in the middle of the night, via some other channel, without artist consent. It's shitting on the men & women who contributed to the project in the first place, it violates the trust they placed in the album's leadership, and it's fundamentally disrespectful to anyone & everyone - including OCR staff - who gave their time & energy towards a successful release.

I want to make all of that completely clear; it's possible this was some sort of existential crisis or severe lapse of judgment on Arek's part, and that he sees why this action was wrong. If he doubles down and insists that he should have the right to release other people's music whenever and wherever he chooses, without their permission, he has no place here.

I'm obviously hoping for the former event, in which case I'm also hoping work on the album can continue towards an official release.

I hate drama.

Well, I want to be clear. Album directors do have a lot of power, and if they want to step down at any point, that is of course their decision. Integrity & respect for contributors would suggest that they at least consider a replacement director, i.e. handing things off to someone else for the last mile, which has worked well on several albums.

Well the sad thing is that he already did that, I'm the reason 98% of the music exists, I recruited the artists, I kept on them to get shit done, and well I wrote like a third of the songs myself. the album musically has been 100% finished for over a year, maybe two by now. I know i havent been the most forthwright in pushing this thing towards an actual release but I honestly thought Arek (and co?) were still legitimately working towards an end on the whole art side of things this whole time.

I don't really have anything useful to add here, just my disappointment of waking up to this without even a word to me, after yknow, making the album and all. Apologies for the drama, rest assured the music is finished and will see a respectable release thanks to the tireless efforts of Stevo and djp. Please look forward to it. :)

Stevo's initial conversation with Arek today unfortunately shows no remorse or acknowledgment that he did anything wrong.

I again want to be clear, posting people's music without their permission is an offense that warrants a permanent ban. I don't understand the disconnect here, but I want to speak with Arek myself as soon as possible.

I recommend to all artists who've contributed their time & energy to this album to send Arek an email explicitly indicating that they do not want their music released like this. It shouldn't need to be said, it should have been understood implicitly, but this is the situation we're now in. Please post a reply here indicating you've done this.

halc is OCR staff, halc assisted with direction, and if the current director is not only abdicating, but willfully going against the wishes of artists and releasing their music without consent, halc may need to take over as director to see things through to a proper conclusion that respects the artists involved. I'd like to find a solution that ALSO respects Arek's wishes, but he's making that extremely difficult right now.

I know it hardly matters to anyone, but after reading the messages of Djpretzel and halc, I deleted all the files I downloaded using Arek's link, out of respect. I want to honor the artists, especially halc, by letting them decide when their music for this project is to be heard.

See this thing through. Please.

Yeah, similar here - when I first saw it, I thought it seemed rather fishy, so I refrained from d/ling anything until the artists/staff came on to show their okay for it. Didn't want to have any of it if that wasn't how the people on the project wanted their hard work to be presented. Glad I waited.

That's a real shame. After listening to the album, I feel that it could've been very successful without the storybook element. The idea is very creative, and it would've worked given the proper resources, but I think it was a bit too ambitious for the scale it was planned for. I understand and completely sympathize with Arek's frustration and desire to just get the thing out of his life after 8 years of development, but a bit more care and agreement with the co-directors, remixers, and site staff should've happened. The music stands on its own and should have been allowed to do so.

Edited by KyleJCrb

Agreed, even if the art side has to be scaled back or re-evaluated, it's better to have an official release than shitcan the project.

Seconding this. I'd much rather see the project get released in an official capacity, with a scaled-back art section, or scaled-back whatever section is holding it back, than this. And I'm sure the majority of the project artists, if not all, probably feel the same way.

I recommend to all artists who've contributed their time & energy to this album to send Arek an email explicitly indicating that they do not want their music released like this. It shouldn't need to be said, it should have been understood implicitly, but this is the situation we're now in. Please post a reply here indicating you've done this.

I will share mostly my half of the chatlog from last night:

(12:27:46 AM) brandon: wut i dont want my song released like this

(12:27:55 AM) brandon: i never gave permission for it to be released like this >:|

(12:28:39 AM) brandon: well wait, did you send it for eval at ocr too?

(12:28:46 AM) brandon: i am confused

(12:29:00 AM) Sir_Arek: well, halc did

(12:29:44 AM) brandon: intense

(12:30:29 AM) brandon: this is a really disappointing way for it to end for all the peeps who worked on it but i dunno man... if it gets released on ocr someday it may still be seen/heard by people instead of lost in an obscure thread rar >:]

(12:30:46 AM) brandon: makes me wonder if it's safe to put my song up on youtube now, or if i should wait for the ocr release?

(12:31:19 AM) Sir_Arek: put it up dude

(12:31:24 AM) Sir_Arek: go for it

(12:31:27 AM) brandon: you sure?

(12:31:38 AM) Sir_Arek: yessir

(12:32:30 AM) brandon: well.... not what i was expecting to happen honestly

(12:32:42 AM) brandon: i'm glad people will get to hear the song though, it's probably my most artistic song ever