OCR01374 - Mega Man X4 "The Father of All"

I think it's boring because it feels like the song never really starts. It's like it's in one of those little artistic slowdowns that you get in a lot of the songs on this page, but here it never gets back to the real song. Did that make any sense or was it just confusing? :)

I'm gonna hafta sorta agree..? It felt like I was tip-toeing around some glass roses or something. I certainly didn't feel like killing evil robots. It's kinda elevatorish with some very predictable drumming. Kinda British sounding. I just couldn't get into it.

If it was british, then we would be having violins and a whole orchestra presented, but we don't. If your referring a calm and slow remix as boring, then I can't really agree. If it's boring, then it lacks variety. You just keep hearing the same things over and over and over and over again. This remix changes its track quite often, they may sound similiar, but I thought it's be a good thing that someone submitted a MMX remix that isn't a trance or techno piece (no offense guys). Slow remixes may be boring, yes, but if you want something fast and loud that makes you awake, DJ MetaZero and FFMusic Dj might help you with that problem.

I thought it was relaxing. The pianoplay (or organ) was beautifully done, and the careful bells enhanced the feel to it, and now wehn I'm listening close to it, there's actually ONE violin in the back at 0:48. I can agree that the music may be confusing considering that X is an actionpacked fighting robot, and therefore the music would be something with heavy action inside it, but maybe X has a soft side beyond our knowing, who knows? Magnificent work Darke.

I thought it was relaxing. The pianoplay (or organ) was beautifully done, and the careful bells enhanced the feel to it, and now wehn I'm listening close to it, there's actually ONE violin in the back at 0:48. I can agree that the music may be confusing considering that X is an actionpacked fighting robot, and therefore the music would be something with heavy action inside it, but maybe X has a soft side beyond our knowing, who knows? Magnificent work Darke.

This is exactly what I was trying to convey with the piece. If you've ever played the X series, you know that X absolutely hates fighting and wants to live a peaceful life. He doesn't take any pleasure in killing repliods, and even in the Zero series, he turns into something more saint-like.

Often times you hear really rocked out versions Megaman music, because the music is like that, and it's supposed to get you pumped, but I always liked X as a character because despite being a robot, he has a kind of humanity to him; I tried to bring that out in this piece.

• 1 month later...

Darkesword, the arrangement and composition on this song is simply amazing. It could not be better in my opinion.

With that said, I feel the production quality is lacking. Namely, I'm refering to the xylophone-like lead instrument that starts at 0:20 and is especially noticeable at 0:34. It is, for a lack of a better word ... fake. The piano at 1:07 starts out spectacularly, but then when the long runs start hitting the higher registers at 1:35-1:58, the effect is jarring.

I don't mean to tell you what to do, but if you were going for the laid back feel, I feel this track would be more at home if it had used the instrumentation showcased in this Rockman X remix album, particularly tracks 01 and 08. The album has more of a smooth jazz flavor, but it's clear that the instruments are much more well defined and crisp. Obviously I'm not looking for you to emulate this track. But still, using something like an acoustic or a clean electric or a sax or even a heavily reverbed piano (all heavily muted as to not be overpowering) as a substitute for the xylophone, as well as a more realistic sample for the solo, would have improved this remix significantly.

Again, this is a solid arrangement and I like this song. But with a few changes in the instrument lineup, I feel this remix could have made much more of an impact, even if it is meant to be laid back and peaceful.

Well Darkesword... I don't post often but when I saw one of my favorite OCRemixes on the recently reviewed section of the front page, I had to comment.

This song became part of my regular playlist since I got it off your site in June. Whenever I hear SGX, Zircon, or Darke, I feel like dropping whatever book I'm studying to write music.

As for this song in particular, I love the way soft dissonance rubs against the lead and how the melody and harmonies subtly shift throughout the instrumentation. It doesn't try and say "listen to me!!!". It's just kinda there will all its awesomeness.

So to the detractors who say it's 'boring', I believe you need to look further into your music and find out specifically what you like or don't like about a particular remix. If you still decide you don't like it, oh well--I don't think Shariq is going to cry over it.

Hopefully I can begin putting some of my work up for judging/review, but I have a huge workload so that probably won't be happening soon. Btw Darkesword, what program did you use for this particular remix?

Well Darkesword... I don't post often but when I saw one of my favorite OCRemixes on the recently reviewed section of the front page, I had to comment.

This song became part of my regular playlist since I got it off your site in June. Whenever I hear SGX, Zircon, or Darke, I feel like dropping whatever book I'm studying to write music.

As for this song in particular, I love the way soft dissonance rubs against the lead and how the melody and harmonies subtly shift throughout the instrumentation. It doesn't try and say "listen to me!!!". It's just kinda there will all its awesomeness.

So to the detractors who say it's 'boring', I believe you need to look further into your music and find out specifically what you like or don't like about a particular remix. If you still decide you don't like it, oh well--I don't think Shariq is going to cry over it.

Hopefully I can begin putting some of my work up for judging/review, but I have a huge workload so that probably won't be happening soon. Btw Darkesword, what program did you use for this particular remix?

Every song I have posted on OCR was made with FLStudio.

Calm, cool. Very nice. Originally, it was a catchy song, so usually remixing something catchy and keeping the charm of the original is difficult, but you nailed it. Most excellent! =)

It doesn't try and say "listen to me!!!". It's just kinda there will all its awesomeness.

Exactly how I feel. Just a cool remix you can relax and listen to.

• 8 months later...

Hmmmm.... It's pretty good, the array of sound effects is very nice, with a soft cathcy synth line, and smooth fairly realistic sounding strings. The one thing I don't like about this is how soft everything is. The original is faster, and the synths are A LOT more powerful, I find that making it into a soft song causes it to sound kinda lame. Also, it never reaches much of a crescendo, it stays soft. At one point it sounds pretty powerful, but that effect vanishes too fast. A great ReMix, worth the download.

Synths: 10

Beat: 7

ReMix value: 10

• 3 years later...

Seems like a lot of drama happened here 4 years go over a pretty chill track. I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

Nice chopped beat, some pretty twinklies, and some good backing instruments make this a good relaxing backing track to living in robot peace. A nice solo, and a very nice mood. I think a little more humanization on some of the faster runs would have improved things, but overall I was feelin this. Nice work DS.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I can see how this was inspired in parts by Jungle Jazz, but on it's own, it sounds amazing. I enjoyed the e-piano work here, especially in the solo and the melody does have a bit of a nice, relaxing light jazz feel. Sound-wise, I think you nailed what X is all about. I love how it has a great beat to it, but never tries to be overly upbeat. A little light, a lot of results. Nice work.

• 8 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01374 - Mega Man X4 "The Father of All"