Final Fantasy VII - The Rocking Cetra

PabloComa

Hello,

I'm working on a Aeris theme remix. You can listen to it following this link :

EDIT : this is the last version :

http://soundcloud.com/pablocoma/the-rocking-cetra

EDIT : this is the older file :

The original source :

The arrangement is nearly finalized as it is, but I need more realistic sounds on electric guitars, and probably on other instruments as well (piano, oboe).

Is this the good place to ask for instrumentist's help? (sorry, I'm new)

Of course, any feedback will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

I think you're right about arrangement being pretty much done, though I wouldn't say no to a second theme from the game happening around 2:00, it already sounds like there's a hint of something. Her song is normally meant to go pretty slowly obviously, and especially around :50, the guitar could maybe do something with the empty pockets there. But I'm no expert.

You're also mostly right about the instruments too, but it still sounds great. I was pretty unsure about this when I read the title, but I'm digging it.

Thank you for your time and ideas, OfficialJab.

I'll keep in mind your idea of a second theme, but I don't think I will do it for now, as I have already used all the material from this song, and I don't want to use material from other songs of the game. But if I would like to do it, I'll probably do so at the moment you pointed.

If I undestand you well, the one thing I need to change is the title... I tried to keep it clear and simple but I realize that this song has been remix one million of times, and I need to find something else.

I changed the status of the thread to "finished", wich I probably should have done from the beginning.

I like how the tune varies extremely from the original, but there are few things that aren't quit there yet.

Over all the guitar just doesn't sit well with me, it seems a little too fuzzy.

At 0:40 when the bass part of the piano starts, it sounds very robotic.

I like when it hits 1:06.

The toms and hi-hats at 1:47 again sound really robotic.

That's just a few things, but this remix has the workings to become a really awesome remix. Things like the drums being more organic and working on the EQ will really bring the quality up. I look forward to hearing an update.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the new version of this remix (updated january 12th 2012) :

http://soundcloud.com/pablocoma/aeris-rock

The original source :

The updates includes :

- Live guitars and bass recorded by Aster (Thanks a lot to him for his help, he has done an awesome job recording all of this !)

- modified drums where it were too robotic.

- humanized piano

- some other minor changes

• 2 weeks later...

I think the arrangement is spot on, very well done.

I do think the mixing aspect could be a bit better though. The drums are not loud and present enough for a rock mix. And for something like this, you want to do double takes on your guitars, it beefs them up a bit without making them too overpowered and also gives you a better stereo image to work with.

Ideally for each guitar part you want a second guitar part playing the same thing on the opposite side of the stereo field. For the best results, either use a different guitar or use a different pickup to do the second duplicate. This both insures the stereo field will seem wider and gives you a better overall guitar tone.

In a rock mix you want to make sure the drums are driving the song. Right now they're sitting in the back, just kinda there to keep tempo. Bring up the kick and snare so they're always audible through everything, you want them to have a nice punch to keep the energy flowing. The hats and cymbals could use a boost too, but they're usually not fighting too many other instruments for the same frequencies.

mod rev:

Drums are buried (can only hear the toms well). They feel quite basic in their writing. You may have to add some subtle variation to them, be this ghost notes, some notes more or less pronounced, whatever. Layering other drums on top of them for a more interesting sound may also be necessary. Hard to say what's what when I can barely hear the drums. :P

While the arrangement has a lot going for it, it's still a fairly conservative take on the source on top of more original stuff, with the biggest deviations from the source being in breaks and stops. It's also a little too reliant on the same transitions and fills. I don't think it's a big deal, but I'd be remiss to not mention it.

PRODUCTION

- Too quiet - occasional instruments are fine, so mix it properly before concerning yourself with how loud the track is overall.

- Drums have no energy - I could just quote Darangen here. Toms are loud enough, tho.

- Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range) - not terribly so, but you'll likely have to clean things up once you get the levels right.

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

- Poorly recorded - Not so much poor, as incompletely recorded. The stereo image and the lack of a second panned guitar, which Darangen already brought up, is a bit detracting.

Light-hearted and fun arrangement, needs more production love tho.

Ideally for each guitar part you want a second guitar part playing the same thing on the opposite side of the stereo field. For the best results, either use a different guitar or use a different pickup to do the second duplicate. This both insures the stereo field will seem wider and gives you a better overall guitar tone.

the lack of a second panned guitar, which Darangen already brought up, is a bit detracting.

Do you mean on the melody parts or the rhythm?

Because the rhythm is definitely double tracked.

Anyway, I've rerecorded both melody parts and sent them off.

Tried to get a similar patch now I have guitar rig. Should be good.

There's an obvious imbalance at the mixing level regarding the guitars. Since the parts are already there, it's an easier fix.

Make sure for every guitar track, you have an equal but slightly different track on the direct opposite side of the stereo mix. ie - If you have guitar part 1 panned to 50% left, make sure you have a similar guitar part panned 50% right to balance it out.

I tend to have 4 rhythm guitar parts in most of my work, 2 panned 100% and 2 panned 70%, then the lead parts panned about 30% left and right.

When all the guitar parts favor the left channel, and you've got as many guitar parts as you're showing, it's going to make a very lop-sided mix. If there was one or two guitar tracks, panning both on the left side wouldn't be so bad as long as the piano was panned to the right to balance it out, but that's usually tricky to pull of without a different melody instrument right in the middle.

There's an obvious imbalance at the mixing level regarding the guitars. Since the parts are already there, it's an easier fix.

Make sure for every guitar track, you have an equal but slightly different track on the direct opposite side of the stereo mix. ie - If you have guitar part 1 panned to 50% left, make sure you have a similar guitar part panned 50% right to balance it out.

I tend to have 4 rhythm guitar parts in most of my work, 2 panned 100% and 2 panned 70%, then the lead parts panned about 30% left and right.

When all the guitar parts favor the left channel, and you've got as many guitar parts as you're showing, it's going to make a very lop-sided mix. If there was one or two guitar tracks, panning both on the left side wouldn't be so bad as long as the piano was panned to the right to balance it out, but that's usually tricky to pull of without a different melody instrument right in the middle.

I recorded the two new guitar tracks with different pickups. One with the bridge and other with the neck+bridge. I'm using EMG active (81+85 iirc) pickups on a set neck guitar with a mahogany body and a mahogany neck so the neck pickup on its own is incredibly strong sounding, might cause more mixing headaches than solutions but the difference between the two settings used is quite defined

Right now there's should be 3 sets of melody guitars to play with. The original and 2 rerecordings.

I also uploaded those 2 new ones with 3 patches each so some variation can be used.

It's usually good to use a pure neck pickup track too though, blended in with a different pickup setting gives it that fuller, crunchier tone that you hear in most rock songs. It's dependent on the other instruments in the song though, so it make work better to use the neck+bridge setup that you're using.

The guitars don't sound bad as they are, just a bit muddy. They could use a good treble boost though to brighten them up. Definitely not bad though.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's finally the new version with enhanced production.

Many thanks to Aster who did additional recording job, and to Darangen who had given me plenty of advices regarding production, and has been very patient explaining it all in great details.

Update includes :

- Production completely remade from scratch

- More variations in the drums

- Double recorded guitars

Here's the link :

http://soundcloud.com/pablocoma/the-rocking-cetra

The original source :

Note : As I gave the same name as previous version, clicking on the old link will give you the new song.

I'm liking the arrangement, but sample quality and panning are bothering me right now. The panning really is all over the place. With panning, its a good idea to keep things fairly centered, unless you are going for a specific aesthetic. Less is more is the idea with panning, not saying remove it completely, but tone it down a little :)

As for the samples, the drums lack energy right now, they feel thin and lifeless overall. Try laying drum samples together to fill them out more. 5 kicks sounds better than 1 ;) I'm finding the drum patterns a little boring as well, don't be afraid to vary up your patterns and add some nice ornamentations and fills to spice them up some. I'm hearing very little bass overall in this. you could def boost up the bass a little, the bass itself is almost inaudible. The Guitar sound is also a little too distorted for the style imo... and its a rather grating distortion, which doesn't suit the sound of the mix particularly. There is alot of stuff to do production wise, but i'm liking the arrangement, very creative. Cool!

Keep working at it.

Many thanks for the comments and advices. :-)

Actually the cymbals crashes are full left. I tried to follow advices given in this video :

I'll try something less extreme for panning, to vary more the drum patterns and boost the bass.

For the guitar, I asked the guitarist to record something heavy metal sounding, so that's a choice of mine, and will be more complex to change. I'll see what I can do.

A newer version :

http://soundcloud.com/pablocoma/the-rocking-cetra-march-1st

The original source :

- Changed panning to something more conventional

- added more drums variations

- added some processing, including amp on the bass & melody, effects and EQ on the drums parts, and many other little changes.

- adjusted volume of many channel strips

Don't hesitate to comment if anything can be better, I want it to be as good as it can.

Liking this faster take on the theme! Your small changes to the rhythm work well, and the piano lead recalls the original even though a lot has changed in the orchestration.

The break at 1:50 is good; I'm not as sold on 2:00 when we move into original material. This section really takes us out of the mood of Aerith's Theme. The rest of the piece is such easy listening that the complex section there doesn't seem like it fits to me.

On the other hand, the change of pace at 3:10 right at the end is good. I don't think I prefer the arrangement ending with completely solo piano like the original; it's such a fun spin on the song that I think you can do justice to the ending in your own original way also.

As far as the soundscape goes, everything fits together pretty well -- good work!