Recommend me what to buy to aspiring composer, dont recommend without reading though please :P

qgpr

Sales don't paint an accurate picture. No one actually buys FL Studio for example (unless they're serious and wanna be a pro)... but a ton of people pirate it, that population is way bigger than the people who buy it. Way. Way. Bigger.

Not saying this has any bearing on what Dannthr is saying, I agree with him that sample developers might not want to invest time into Reason for reasons that its sampler doesn't have as much financial opportunity as something like Kontakt.

Sure Reason is second best-selling music software compared to others individually, but when you add up all DAW's together that can handle VST's like Kontakt and compare them to Reason, it starts to look overwhelmingly small in comparison. It ends up being a comparison of one slice of the DAW pie graph to the entire rest of the pie.

Which makes it even more funny though, Reason is quite likely one of the most pirated softwares too. Up until version 6 it was quite easy to do so too! For example, in Spain Reason sold very very few copies (we're talking two digits). Then ComputerMusic Spain did a special Reason issue. It was the best selling issue they've ever done with several thousand sold. :)

You're right in that Kontakt works in all DAWs that support AU/VST though which is a big factor. I'm definitely not contesting that. Just want to point out that Reason isn't some kind of niche program for a small amount of people.

But again, and I really do stress this, it's all about what fits you. I can make a living making music in Reason and nothing else has worked as well for me so I'm more than satisfied with it. Others like other stuff.

Beep boop!

I feel that if Reason could some how support VST technology in a creative wrapper which would allow patching and patch-modulation, it could be EXTREMELY powerful.

But I can not recommend it to a beginning student because I feel that it has too many inherent limitations.

I am surprised that it's as popular as you say, but I believe it nonetheless.

There is little to no marketing value in creating high-end Reason Refills.

One of the biggest problems is also that the Reason sampler is also just behind the times in scripting technology--you would even be hard pressed translating a complex and sophisticated library concept from Kontakt to Reason.

You would more than likely lose a lot of the main features of your instruments along the way.

Question... I have reason because my dad just has it. Would it make sense to use reason for recording then move to the midi another daw for mixing and mastering, is that the best way to use reason?

No. That is convoluted and counter intuitive. Use one DAW for that, unless you specifically want Reason's synths and effects, which IMO is one of the only good reasons to get it. Reason wasn't built for recording, doesn't make sense to use it solely and primarily just for that.

Why move it to another DAW for mixing and masterIng?

Where do people get this idea that DAW's mix and master better than others? X_X

Just to record midi ok, at the end of the day it's the same... but I'm saying for audio recording, Reason is now built for the task and is damn good at it. I find it very easy on the workflow, but that might be subjective..

Not really. Record was built for recording.

Reason 6 is Reason with Record capabilities built-in. Reason in itself was not designed to record. Just like FL Studio wasn't designed to be a DAW.