Open Hearts - Sonic Adventure's "Open Your Heart" in orchestral form

Hadyn

It has been a really long time since I shared anything here. I think it was Project Chaos, back in '05... crazy. Anyway, this is a little orchestral piece I've been working on. It's my first proper attempt at composing anything in this style, and I have pretty much no classical training, so I'm basically making it up as I go.

As it stands I'm really happy with the first minute or so, and then sort of okay with the rest of it. I'm very uncertain about the percussion in the latter half... But enough talk, I'll let you guys judge for yourselves!

http://soundcloud.com/hadyn/open-hearts-work-in-progress-2

http://soundcloud.com/hadyn/open-hearts-work-in-progress-3

http://soundcloud.com/hadyn/open-hearts-work-in-progress-4 <- New Version! (4/01/2012)

Oh, and this is original, if you're not familiar with it:

All feedback is appreciated, I'm hoping to learn as I go with this one!

Cheers,

Hadyn

Project Chaos is the album through which I discovered OCRemix, awesome to still your still around.

As for this sing, I didn't really 'get' the source until the 1.30 mark, but when I felt it boy did it hit hard. I like the sense of urgency you've managed to instill into the piece and the slow buildup works perfectly.

Cool, thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, the hints towards the source material are pretty subtle during the intro, especially the first minute, which is at half speed. The original was indeterminate (neither Major nor Minor) for the verses, whilst I've gone all out Major... but the core parts are still in there. The cello pretty much plays the guitar part, for example, and the big sounding French Horns play with the rhythm of the vocal part ("Danger, water rising", etc.), though I took some liberties with the exact notes to make it halfway between what the vocals and guitar do in the original, making it sound distinctly more epic.

The section between the 1:00-1:40 mark is the bridge section, with the French Horn playing the vocal melody ("All the steps we take, all the moves we make, all the pain at stake..."). If you know what to listen for, it may be easier to hear the source material in there?

I'll probably expand and add some new sections tonight or tomorrow... in the meantime I'd love more feedback on whether the nods to the source material are too subtle, etc.

Hi Hadyn,

I listened a few times to your piece. Good job ! It is really pleasant to listen.

Here are the modifications I’ll consider to do if I was making the remix. Feel free not to follow them since all of this is really subjective ;)

- from 1:25 to 1:36 : I’ll add a crescendo there. I’ll even try to begin it at 1:12

- the last 4 notes on the violin (D, E, C, A ?) should be louder. In my viewpoint this is the resolution of the climax, so it should be louder, or doubled with another instrument, or even the same violin one octave higher. I’ll also maybe try to put the three first notes staccato. We were waiting for those 4 notes from 2 minutes ! Make them rock !

- the passage from 1:40 to 2:05 is 4 times the same question/answer from 2 instruments. You keeped the same melody than in the original, but there are lyrics in the original wich make it sufficiently varied. Changing some notes the 4th time, giving them higher pitch, may be a good idea.

In my opinion, a remix should tell something new, so I don’t see the problem if the nods to the source material are subtle, but I do not feel it’s the case in your piece.

Cheers,

Thanks Pablo, that's good advice. I haven't got everything quite right yet, but I have expanded on what I had and tweaked a few instruments and mastering a bit.

I think I'm at a stage now where I need a day or two to step back from it, so I'm just sharing what I have up to this point. The track is pretty much the length I want it, so I think from now it's mostly a case of refining what I've got.

http://soundcloud.com/hadyn/open-hearts-work-in-progress-3

The main thing I think I'll want to do is make the second chorus more unique from the first. Of course, I'm open to any ideas or suggestions any one might have.

Cheers!

hmm tricky, tricky tricky to find what i seem to think is missing from this, the only part that bugs me is the "now i see what i gotta do" at

can the instrument actually recreate that sound? and if so can they go higer pitched or idk give more power behind it,

the rest of the track? damn epic as hell dude. one minor thing also.

the ending, perhaps do a fade out with the notes?

either way its great as it already is dude.

Edit:forget what i said about the "now i see what i gotta do" part, the version 4 made it seemless idk what i heard the first time.

Giving this a first listen at version 4 - sounds pretty tight at the moment, however it seems to be lacking something. For a start, it's got a real "concert hall" feel, which is probably what you were going for, but it kinda sounds like there's a little too much reverb on things. At times the soundscape feels very flat, without too many highs, and things aren't downright muddy, but they're also not as clear as they could be.

The drums I'm torn on. The kit is nice, however I think some of the patterns are a bit boring towards the end, and could pack significantly more of a punch by using more open hats and a more dynamic kick and snare pattern. At the moment it sounds more like a canter than a gallop, if you get me!

The final chorus is also pretty flat - it sounds like it's been copy/pasted from the previous one, so doesn't really give it that climactic feel, and the ending notes sound pretty rushed. With the final notes, you can go off time and slow it right down, get some high attack on that final note and then come in for a big orchestral hit (timpani rolls leading up to it?) to finish on a higher note, rather than the downer it ends on now (bit strange to end on that note after such a happy song).

Hopefully that gives you some clear points to work on and improve!

I used to play French horn, so naturally, I love where you're going with this. :razz:

That said, I think this was an ambitious song choice to remix, but you're definitely taking it on! I do like it. It sounds a tad "fake" at some parts with the brass instruments, especially around 0:30 with the French horns. I would really like for the percussion (and everything really) to go bigger at the end too! It sounds like a great song to have a big finish because right now it just sounds like it repeats itself.

Still, I like the direction you're going with this, and I admire your song choice! Keep 'em coming! :)