OCR02363 - Cave Story "The Unbroken"

djpretzel

Ok, great way to kick of 2012, with an awesome mix by Nutritious! I really liked the intro, ya know classic Nutritious stuff. Then once the track hit a synth-heavy club kinda song, I was like "What? I didn't know Nutritious did this? It's quite amazing!" Ok, maybe not just like that, but it was awesome especially once the vocals kicked in with what I believe is some vocoder something or other. Pretty cool stuff from Nutritious, I'd give it an 8/10. It'd be better if the orchestra stuff was more prevalent. Nice job Nutritious!

Finally! I've been waiting for this to be posted since I heard it in the WIP forums. I have the last version you posted there and looking at my iTunes play count it's over 100, and #15 on my most played list. Not to mention the plays I have in my car after I burnt it to CD on an "awesome driving music" playlist!

What is there to say about it? Well, I'm a big fan of Pendulum, so the style is absolutely perfect, and I've played it to friends who have thought that it WAS Pendulum, so there can be no doubt you NAILED IT with their sound. I think the vocals are incredible, and have no problem with vocoded vocals in this style, because they are actually part of the style itself, lending the vocals a synthetic quality that blends in with the instrumentation seamlessly. The drumwork is fantastic as well, especially those ride patterns in the build up, and it's got such a fat snare sound, just like Pendulum. In fact, I'd say about 40% of Pendulum's sound is the snare, so gj on that ;)

I also love the way the orchestral elements mesh with the synth sounds - it's not always easy to pick cohesive instrumentation when going between live sounding samples and synths, but this, again, is seamless. I'd have to say that I could think of absolutely nothing that would make this remix any better. Please do an album in this style!

Also, now I can read the lyrics and sing along with the proper words! Yaaaaay!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh man, that grand opening leading into the Pendulum DnB riff was pretty sweet. I've been in a "final battle" mood for a while, and this is perfect for it. The vocaded vocal idea was the cherry on top, because it just fits so damn well with this style. I just love that "you're not alone" hook. This is going down as one of my favorite Nutritious songs.

• 1 month later...

Solid. This has completely displaced the original track in my head.

One little irony here is that your ARE alone at this point. It's like a reminder, "Hey, don't forget to go rescue Curly when you're done here. And yes, you'll have to step up your game a lot."

Edited to add: now I can't get this out of my head... and that's fine by me.

Edited to add on Feb 6: STILL in my head. Slightly less welcome by now, but holding up pretty well.

Edited by Drachefly

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

'The Unbroken' remains to be one of my personal favorite ReMixes. The depth and flawless vocals has changed how I play Cave Story forever. Words like amazing, incredible, epic, and awesome do not begin to describe how I feel about this one. All I can say is mind = blown.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

[busts in screaming] Did I hear someone mention Pendulum?!?!*

I think the Pendulum comparison is quite apt. Pendulum would always get crap for being melodic (referred to as "clownstep" in some dnb circles), and this is my favorite kind of drum & bass - melodic. I don't think the production on the percussion is up there with Pendulum, but given that I swear Rob Swire is some kind of percussion muse sent down to Earth in human form, it's not that big of a deal. 

My only, only issue with this song is the overuse of vocoder on the male vocals. It sounds too robotic to be handled as straight vocals, but not robotic enough to be considered intentional. To have an example of vocoded vocals that reach all the way over into "robotic", Pendulum's The Other Side, or Visions, both of which are obviously using it as an effect rather than a crutch for underconfidence.

*(seriously, they and Knife Party are my favorite. Rob & Gareth haven't made a single song I've disliked.)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02363 - Cave Story "The Unbroken"