FF6 Remix Project -- 2 Week Extension

Jason Covenant

put bonkers down for it he's a posted mixer

don't make him jump through hoops goon you want him on the project

According to Bonkers, he has mixes pending but none yet posted. If he got posted tomorrow, that would change.

In case there's any bit of confusion, let me better explain the rules and the reasoning behind them. Posted remixers can directly claim tracks because having a posted remix demonstrates the following:

1. That they can make a complete track that satisfies OCR standards.

2. Since posting takes a long time, it demonstrates that they have been musically involved in the community for a while and are not a Johnny-come-lately, Johnny-leave-early.

I'm not saying Bonkers or anyone else can't make quality music or will instantly abandon this project as soon as a track is claimed. Rules have to be applied consistently in order to be fair. Making exceptions is favoritism and definitely unfair. Besides, Bonkers said he'd only spent about an hour on the track. He should be able to get it to 50% in no time.

I'd like to do "Cayenne", or Cyan, or whatever you want to call it! If you need to hear my work, check out my demo reels, http://omnipsyence.com/demo-reels/ plus I have a track about to be posted from Harmony of the Hunter (I need to fix some clipping in the track).

We won't be using the audition system in this project. Why? Because sometimes past work can be misleading. A person can struggle musically for a long time, then suddenly have a tremendous breakthrough and make something amazing. What if that breakthrough happened to be a remix in this project? I'd hate to lose a great remix as a result of not giving someone a chance. In addition, someone may simply be not quite good enough, but with a 50% wip we can help them identify those problem areas and fix them. The idea is to be inclusive as possible while still maintaining high standards.

The reason for wanting a 50% done wip instead of say a 10% wip is twofold: First, it shows greater commitment, second, it gives us a more complete vision of the track and makes it easier to identify and resolve issues.

I hope this explains things. Let me know if you have questions. Looking forward to those wip's Bonkers, Emperor Charlemagne and Omni-Psyence!

According to Bonkers, he has mixes pending but none yet posted. If he got posted tomorrow, that would change.

In case there's any bit of confusion, let me better explain the rules and the reasoning behind them. Posted remixers can directly claim tracks because having a posted remix demonstrates the following:

2. Since posting takes a long time, it demonstrates that they have been musically involved in the community for a while and are not a Johnny-come-lately, Johnny-leave-early.

I'm not saying Bonkers or anyone else can't make quality music or will instantly abandon this project as soon as a track is claimed. Rules have to be applied consistently in order to be fair. Making exceptions is favoritism and definitely unfair. Besides, Bonkers said he'd only spent about an hour on the track. He should be able to get it to 50% in no time.

We won't be using the audition system in this project. Why? Because sometimes past work can be misleading. A person can struggle musically for a long time, then suddenly have a tremendous breakthrough and make something amazing. What if that breakthrough happened to be a remix in this project? I'd hate to lose a great remix as a result of not giving someone a chance. In addition, someone may simply be not quite good enough, but with a 50% wip we can help them identify those problem areas and fix them. The idea is to be inclusive as possible while still maintaining high standards.

The reason for wanting a 50% done wip instead of say a 10% wip is twofold: First, it shows greater commitment, second, it gives us a more complete vision of the track and makes it easier to identify and resolve issues.

I hope this explains things. Let me know if you have questions. Looking forward to those wip's Bonkers, Emperor Charlemagne and Omni-Psyence!

I guess it means nothing that I have 3 songs that have been approved by the judges but 2 can't be posted and who knows when the DP-flagged one will get posted.

How can I be held liable for something that isn't under my control?

Anywho it doesn't matter, I'd rather not sequence Strings(though I am VERY proficient at sequencing. See: http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/5y56zn1889/09_the_gate_of_nightmares_medley_bonkers_ft_vikingguitar.mp3) I'd just like a more unique approach to the tone. Because using sample libraries means that part of the character of those instruments recorded for it will always be the same. Having a live performer with their own instrument can help alleviate have more distinct character.

Or maybe i'm just insane ?

*shrug*

:lmassoff:

One step at a time.

I'm not sure if this contributes or not, but on The Sound of Speed, the roster consisted entirely of posted remixers, though a handful were still yet to be posted at the time of them signing on, and I think Brandon was one of them. Even k-wix took on an unknown for Back in Blue (Sir Jordanius) and his track was used in the mix flood on release.

BONKERS, I would personally recommend you share your direct post track to us (assuming it's non-project) to give Jason a clearer understanding on your capabilities. Even if that falls through, be sure to keep working on your track and we'll be happy to look at it when you're ready.

I guess it means nothing that I have 3 songs that have been approved by the judges but 2 can't be posted and who knows when the DP-flagged one will get posted.

How can I be held liable for something that isn't under my control?

You aren't being held "liable" for anything. Surely you must agree that we need to have some sort of rules as to who can claim a track and who needs to demonstrate their ability and commitment first. And whenever you have any sort of standards there will be people close to the line either way. If you try to move the line up or down in specific situations, that is unfair to everyone else.

I think this is all pretty moot anyways. You said you wanted to do the track which means you'll ultimately end up doing 100% of it. So the work put into the wip to claim it is work you'd already be doing.

Anywho it doesn't matter, I'd rather not sequence Strings(though I am VERY proficient at sequencing. See: http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/5y56zn1889/09_the_gate_of_nightmares_medley_bonkers_ft_vikingguitar.mp3) I'd just like a more unique approach to the tone. Because using sample libraries means that part of the character of those instruments recorded for it will always be the same. Having a live performer with their own instrument can help alleviate have more distinct character.

Or maybe i'm just insane ?

Na, I understand completely. I wish I weren't reliant on public sample libraries for precisely that reason. I generally reprocess my samples to make them sound a bit more unique. Still, live performers would be preferable. I was just trying to offer help if you needed it.

BONKERS, I would personally recommend you share your direct post track to us (assuming it's non-project) to give Jason a clearer understanding on your capabilities. Even if that falls through, be sure to keep working on your track and we'll be happy to look at it when you're ready.

His abilities aren't being questioned. I'm sure he can make a great battle theme remix. The reason for letting posted remixers make direct claims is that being posted and still being around shows some commitment to the community. None of this is in any way a judgement on Bonkers. If we don't apply the rules equally to everyone, then we are applying them unfairly.

You aren't being held "liable" for anything. Surely you must agree that we need to have some sort of rules as to who can claim a track and who needs to demonstrate their ability and commitment first. And whenever you have any sort of standards there will be people close to the line either way. If you try to move the line up or down in specific situations, that is unfair to everyone else.

I think this is all pretty moot anyways. You said you wanted to do the track which means you'll ultimately end up doing 100% of it. So the work put into the wip to claim it is work you'd already be doing.

Na, I understand completely. I wish I weren't reliant on public sample libraries for precisely that reason. I generally reprocess my samples to make them sound a bit more unique. Still, live performers would be preferable. I was just trying to offer help if you needed it.

His abilities aren't being questioned. I'm sure he can make a great battle theme remix. The reason for letting posted remixers make direct claims is that being posted and still being around shows some commitment to the community. None of this is in any way a judgement on Bonkers. If we don't apply the rules equally to everyone, then we are applying them unfairly.

To be fair BONKERS has been around for a year or two - he did two tracks for the Maverick Rising project, one of which he did a pretty stellar job with.

I'll work on my WIP, no problem. I was just assuming we had to claim a track since that's more or less what the first post implies with the red text = "claimed, WIP not turned in yet". *shrug*

Well, in the first post it says this:

You can call a track any time in phase 1-6 if you are a posted remixer. If not, you will need to send in a 50% done wip.

Of course, it's a long post and only a brief mention of the rule, so I can see how it would be easy to miss. Looking forward to your wip.

Forcing a Shizzie to be a regular at OCR for the project is like holding down a dog and forcing hot water onto it :lol:

Get clean, damn you.

Lol. I know nothing about "Shizzie" but I'll take your word on it.

I wouldn't mind throwing my name in for Dark World.
Probably shouldn't be doing this... but sign me up for the Edgar/Sabin theme!

Done and done.

I'm not sure if this contributes or not, but on The Sound of Speed, the roster consisted entirely of posted remixers, though a handful were still yet to be posted at the time of them signing on, and I think Brandon was one of them. Even k-wix took on an unknown for Back in Blue (Sir Jordanius) and his track was used in the mix flood on release.

Yeah I can do that,

my DP track is this

I created this song for Vampire Variations. And then after it was released like many of us,subbed it to OCR so we could get more people to listen to the music from the album and hopefully give them interest in other songs from it.

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/r3zv091523/15_children_of_the_wicked_wicked_child_bonkers.mp3 (I apologize for the bass, it's a bit heavy in the big parts)

A few days or a week or two (somethin like that) I got an email from OA saying the song had been flagged for Direct Post

And just for the record, hope there was no misunderstandings guys(on my end either if I came off sounding douchey or offensive in any way), I totally get where you are coming from. And I can understand how you want to do things(same for how I would want to do things if I were to do something like this).

It's all good. No disrespect!

Ok, so if I understand this correctly:

-if someone has been involved in the community for years through projects, competitions and discussions but isn't posted --> he/she's a worthless bloke.

-if someone has one mix posted but never made any effort whatsoever to get involved into the community --> he/she rightfully deserves to be on the list.

I'm not questioning your quest for high quality standards, but this makes the project look more like a celebrity rally than a community effort atm.

We won't be using the audition system in this project. Why? Because sometimes past work can be misleading.
You do realize that, denying someone's previous work clearly shows them you don't care about anything they did prior to YOUR project.

i.e. showing that you don't really care about people, just about the prestige artist A or B will bring to your name as the album's director.

That's quite condescending for someone who just admitted not knowing about the Shizz and only discovered FFVI, I quote:

last month when I played it for the first time on an emulator

However, if you'd still:

like to see some new faces on this project along with the more established remixers

there's a 50%+ arrangement for 'Empire Gesthal' that's been sitting in your PM box for a couple days now.

Cheers and best of luck to you and Rexy with this long overdue tribute to the pinacle of 16bit Final Fantasy. ;-)

Ok, so if I understand this correctly:

-if someone has been involved in the community for years through projects, competitions and discussions but isn't posted --> he/she's a worthless bloke.

No, not at all. I didn't make up this "posted remixers can make direct claims" rule. It's been used on a number of other projects. It's not meant to be a judgement on any individual person. Some jobs require a college degree. Doesn't mean everyone without a college degree is worthless, only that people with one have demonstrated something.

-if someone has one mix posted but never made any effort whatsoever to get involved into the community --> he/she rightfully deserves to be on the list.

I'm not questioning your quest for high quality standards, but this makes the project look more like a celebrity rally than a community effort atm.

Quite the opposite. The project is open to everyone. I feel that auditions are needlessly restrictive, so hence the 50% wip method instead.

You do realize that, denying someone's previous work clearly shows them you don't care about anything they did prior to YOUR project.

i.e. showing that you don't really care about people, just about the prestige artist A or B will bring to your name as the album's director.

The opposite is true. If John Williams wanted to be on this project, he'd need to submit a 50% done wip. The rules will be applied equally and consistently.

That's quite condescending for someone who just admitted not knowing about the Shizz and only discovered FFVI,

You'll have to excuse me on these points. I realize I'm late to the party on FF6, but I grew up poor and didn't have an snes or playstation. I'm unable to play an instrument, so I haven't been following dwelling of duels either.

However, if you'd still:

there's a 50%+ arrangement for 'Empire Gesthal' that's been sitting in your PM box for a couple days now.

When this project started, I realized my pm inbox was full. Turns out 200 is the limit (thanks Rexy for the heads up). I quickly deleted about 50, and have been working on whittling it down ever since. I'm sorry, but I may have accidentally deleted your PM, please resend.

If anyone here contacts me via pm or tries to claim a track in the thread and doesn't get a response or see a tracklist edit within 48 hours, please contact me again. It is not my intention to ignore anyone.

You should PM Kyle (KyleJCrb) for project forums over at kngi.org. That way we could show each other our wips and giving feedback without letting everyone else hear (almost) finished songs

Private forums are a great idea. I could set some up at one of my own sites or use the ones at kngi. I'll definitely look into this.

Am I correct in thinking my Metamorphosis WIP is also due for Feb 1st?

Yes. There are compos here where people regularly complete tracks in a week, not to mention OHC, where people create tracks that are sometimes more than 50% done in just an hour. If time is still an issue, I'd suggest just doing the easiest parts first. You can send in a complete midi arrangement or something about a minute long or longer with close to full instrumentation. The mixing doesn't need to be perfect. You can also send a collection of concept loops, provided that taken together it's possible to get a more complete picture of the track.

And just for the record, hope there was no misunderstandings guys(on my end either if I came off sounding douchey or offensive in any way), I totally get where you are coming from. And I can understand how you want to do things(same for how I would want to do things if I were to do something like this).

It's all good. No disrespect!

No worries. If anyone has an issue, I'd prefer that it be brought forth and discussed. In sharing your concerns, you did the right thing. I'm looking forward to your track, and I hope you plan to claim more after your first!

I hope to submit a working "Searching for Friends" WIP sometime this weekend if not early in the week.

EDIT: considering I'm 23 seconds in, and just had a greeaat idea... hoo boy maybe I can actually finish something this time >.>

Second EDIT: Not to get ahead of myself, but since I have this assumption that no one will really want to take Fanatic I might try that one later down the line since I have a killer industrial drum sample set that'd be perfect for it.

I have a track that's been passed on the panel and is waiting to be posted, so idk if that counts as being posted or not =p

Well, given the general rules you're pending but not posted. But since there's no general interest for Devil's Lab yet, I see nothing wrong with you giving it a go; work on a WIP, send it to Jason's mailbox and you might be taken on.

Which track was it btw? Embarassingly, I've been collecting a list of all pending mixes but I couldn't recall bumping into any with your name on it. Way to go though :)

If 2 people ask for the same track and send a 50% WiP, who gets the track?

As I already said I'll work on a "Devil's Lab" WiP, I'd like to know what would happen now that HoboKa expressed interest in this track too.

Whoever sends in a 50% done wip first, provided it's up to standards.

If you don't get the track you want because someone else got it first, don't worry. Once everything has been covered, anyone can work on any track they want. We'll have bonus material for extra tracks. We just want to focus on covering everything first.

Well, given the general rules you're pending but not posted. But since there's no general interest for Devil's Lab yet, I see nothing wrong with you giving it a go; work on a WIP, send it to Jason's mailbox and you might be taken on.

Which track was it btw? Embarassingly, I've been collecting a list of all pending mixes but I couldn't recall bumping into any with your name on it. Way to go though :)

The only interest shown in Devil's Lab recently that I'm aware of is in my Cid project. :P

Hey, at least we'll be getting a couple more mixes of that stellar track! :3