FF6 Remix Project -- 2 Week Extension

Jason Covenant

Yeah but the rearrangement and remixing is only half the story; the other half is that you're creating a new version of a previously existing work with the purpose of displaying it in a new light. So of course some semblance to the original is expected. This could show itself as adhering to chord progressions or rhythms more strictly, and also orchestration/instrumentation which seems to be so in this case.

so you're going to have operatic vocals in an operatic video game song for a project thats supposed to change it up by rearranging and remixing

huh

Yep. The vocals are only 1 element. I plan on changing the orchestra behind the vocals into something completely different while adding some new melodies as well. How does breakbeat+opera sound? =)

Ooh, FFVI! If I had seen this earlier, I would have happily done Terra's theme, but it's cool.

Well, guys, if you need any help for your remixes, I am available.

I can contribute female vocals (a variety of styles) and folk harp. I can also play some recorder, piano, Irish bouzouki, glockenspiel, and whatnot. Since there are some vocal songs, I would LOVE to lend my voice to those! You can hear some examples here if any of you are interested:

www.youtube.com/roseofmay

www.natalyazarraga.com or http://soundcloud.com/natalyazarraga

I plan on having opera-ish vocals for Aria de Mezzo Carattere. 1 male, 1 female, just like the original. The primary notational changes will be in the accompaniment. I intend on using breakbeat/dnb elements.

Wouldn't the tempo for the breakbeat and dnb have to be really slow?? It might sound sort of awkward at 80 bpm or w/e :S, just sayin' - although ambient electronic would def fit the bill ;)

I can contribute female vocals (a variety of styles) and folk harp. I can also play some recorder, piano, Irish bouzouki, glockenspiel, and whatnot. Since there are some vocal songs, I would LOVE to lend my voice to those! You can hear some examples here if any of you are interested:

www.youtube.com/roseofmay

www.natalyazarraga.com or http://soundcloud.com/natalyazarraga

Actually, we could really use female vocals. And additional live instruments are certainly welcome. Oh, and you can still do terra's theme, once the tracklist is full.

Wouldn't the tempo for the breakbeat and dnb have to be really slow?? It might sound sort of awkward at 80 bpm or w/e :S, just sayin' - although ambient electronic would def fit the bill ;)

I'll probably go for 85/170, just like my kefka remix or something along those lines. 170 is pretty much the standard tempo for dnb, so I think it would be perfect for that.

I personally think a Modern Rock song, or even a stripped down version (Guitar + Vocals) would be cool.

I would take any chance I could get to sing Darkness and Starlight to my girlfriend. ;-)

Just a thought though. Feel free to do whatever.

Also, are you offering the different movements of Dancing Mad as individual tracks?

And are you offering duplicate tracks?

That could change the synergy of the project entirely.

Actually, we could really use female vocals. And additional live instruments are certainly welcome. Oh, and you can still do terra's theme, once the tracklist is full.

Great! If I'm correct, you're doing the Aria de Mezzo Carattere, yes? I love that song, and it would be awesome to sing for it, and/or play whatever is needed. That's it if you don't already have someone lined up to do female vocals on that track, of course. Shall we PM to discuss it further? :)

so you're going to have operatic vocals in an operatic video game song for a project thats supposed to change it up by rearranging and remixing

huh

Don't start with that bullhonkey.

You change too much stuff = people dont' like it.

You aren't making a NEW song, you are making a new version of an EXISTING song. SO, ergo it needs to remain faithful to the original material to a large extent in order to not completely alienate the fans of the original music.

Unless of course, your audience is NOT in fact fans of FFVI's original music and you are just trying to make liberal bullhonkey that appeals to fellow musicians , while 99% of average listeners won't get, understand or like it.

Why do you think some people say negative things about some stuff OCR does?

Because people don't like how the music is Drastically changed.

It's extremely important to strike a middle ground with an Arrangement of a piece of music. Why else would official arrangements and things like The Black Mages/Earthbound Papas be so good, yet they change many elements from the originals?

Because they are faithful and strike a middle ground.

Old but new.

Refreshing but original.

New instrumentation on a simpler piece of music.

Also: I'd like to if possible, make a bonus track version of the Prelude that stays truer to the original piece(The FFVI version, which means bit slower paced than other version like the NES Preludes, like I did for Random Encounter) of music without changing the melody if that's alright. (sort of like I want to do with Battle, make this an extension of the original composition)

I've already started a WIP

You aren't making a NEW song, you are making a new version of an EXISTING song. SO, ergo it needs to remain faithful to the original material to a large extent in order to not completely alienate the fans of the original music.

Unless of course, your audience is NOT in fact fans of FFVI's original music and you are just trying to make liberal bullhonkey that appeals to fellow musicians , while 99% of average listeners won't get, understand or like it.

It's extremely important to strike a middle ground with an Arrangement of a piece of music. Why else would official arrangements and things like The Black Mages/Earthbound Papas be so good, yet they change many elements from the originals?

Old but new.

Refreshing but original.

:nicework:

Old but new.

Refreshing but original.

Also: I'd like to if possible, make a bonus track version of the Prelude that stays truer to the original piece(The FFVI version, which means bit slower paced than other version like the NES Preludes, like I did for Random Encounter) of music without changing the melody if that's alright. (sort of like I want to do with Battle, make this an extension of the original composition)

I've already started a WIP

i make remixes i like to listen to. and those tend to be very liberal interps of the source

if i want to listen to the source or something to it i'll pop the ost it in or listen to a cover

i make remixes i like to listen to. and those tend to be very liberal interps of the source

if i want to listen to the source or something to it i'll pop the ost it in or listen to a cover

Problem is, most Remix Albums aim to be conservative - for most video-game fans who download these remix albums expect the remixes to strongly resemble said source tunes. Yeah, you could argue that there's no proof of that claim and that I haven't made a tally of all the people here - but let's face it: this site's called OverClockedRemix not Total Rearrangement.

It's sort of hard to pay tribute to a source tune, if you've transformed it into something that barely resembles it, at least in my opinion.

My stance on it is interpretation is up to the eye of the beholder. Both Nekofrog's and BONKERS's points are legit ways of handling the arrangement, definitely.

Though, if I have to state a stance - it would help if they state what the musicians were feeling with the source tune when making it. Messing around with the source or keeping it safer means nothing if the music-making passion isn't there :)

In my opinion. Everyone interprets and hears a piece of music differently.

You should stay true to how YOU hear the piece of music. Because everyone else will think of a completely different way.

It's all interpretation.

I like having 80% source and 20% originality. To me, that makes it recognizable AND original.

It's all opinion though. That's the best part. ;-)

I like remixes to be completely recognizable to the source, gotta be able to hear it in there. That's the whole point. But I also think that if you want to hear the original, you can listen to the original. Make it totally recognizable but add your own flair to it.

THIS, is EXACTLY what it means to Strike a Middle Ground.

If it's not obvious then, I can't help people.

A middle ground is to give your own character to your own version of the song while staying true to the original.

Which is EXACTLY why I used The Black Mages/Earthbound Papas as an example. These are the perfect official examples of striking a good middle ground.

A good arrangement shouldn't have to take 10 listens to figure out what the source is when the listener is familiar with the original.

And if your listener can't identify with the source at some point in the song then what's the point?

I remember back when I was like 11 and discovered OCR back in 2001/2002 I'd hear remixes that change stuff so much that I would say "This doesn't sound like *insert song* here at all!"

And then I'd hear something that changes the original tune a ton, but it's IMMEDIATELY recognizable and ends up being extremely enjoyable like this

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01043/

Or

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00633/

I remember hearing these for the first time and being blown away, because they sounded amazing and it was extremely easy to hear what the songs were supposed to be.

Mind you this was before I had ever picked up a guitar, nor knew anything about music.(even though I had played Trumpet and Violin in Elementary School)

So to reiterate, Striking a middle ground is very important. Even more so because it's so much harder to do than just completely change the song altogether , or be completely conservative.

It can be 20% original 80% source or whatever so much as it retains the character of the original songs while giving it your own character (which itself can be a million things from the choice of instrument, to the style of percussion, or even the structure of the piece etc etc)with your arrangement OR instrumentation.

This is my opinion, true (and not a fact), but I will likely NEVER change my view on this mostly based on the personal belief that this is the right and best way to approach things when it comes to , so-called "Remixes"

My personal rule is to generally try to make the song recognizeable within the first minute if i'm making a really widly creative/different type of arrangement or else I know that , if, I was the listener, i'd lose interest by that point.

*cough*Maverick Rising*cough*MMX4/5 Dr.Light*cough*

A middle ground is to give your own character to your own version of the song while staying true to the original.

Which is EXACTLY why I used The Black Mages/Earthbound Papas as an example. These are the perfect official examples of striking a good middle ground.

A good arrangement shouldn't have to take 10 listens to figure out what the source is when the listener is familiar with the original.

And if your listener can't identify with the source at some point in the song then what's the point?

I remember back when I was like 11 and discovered OCR back in 2001/2002 I'd hear remixes that change stuff so much that I would say "This doesn't sound like *insert song* here at all!"

And then I'd hear something that changes the original tune a ton, but it's IMMEDIATELY recognizable and ends up being extremely enjoyable like this

Or

I remember hearing these for the first time and being blown away, because they sounded amazing and it was extremely easy to hear what the songs were supposed to be.

Mind you this was before I had ever picked up a guitar, nor knew anything about music.(even though I had played Trumpet and Violin in Elementary School)

So to reiterate, Striking a middle ground is very important. Even more so because it's so much harder to do than just completely change the song altogether , or be completely conservative.

It can be 20% original 80% source or whatever so much as it retains the character of the original songs while giving it your own character (which itself can be a million things from the choice of instrument, to the style of percussion, or even the structure of the piece etc etc)with your arrangement OR instrumentation.

This is my opinion, true (and not a fact), but I will likely NEVER change my view on this mostly based on the personal belief that this is the right and best way to approach things when it comes to , so-called "Remixes"

My personal rule is to generally try to make the song recognizeable within the first minute if i'm making a really widly creative/different type of arrangement or else I know that , if, I was the listener, i'd lose interest by that point.

veq8b9.gif

Or

^THIS

Very much this.

This is me to a tee practically.

Great! If I'm correct, you're doing the Aria de Mezzo Carattere, yes? I love that song, and it would be awesome to sing for it, and/or play whatever is needed. That's it if you don't already have someone lined up to do female vocals on that track, of course. Shall we PM to discuss it further? :)

Yep, that's the plan, 1 male and 1 female vocalist for Aria de Mezzo Carattere. I'll put you down for it as a collab partner next time I update the tracklist. Feel free to contact me about it, Skype is preferred.