The PCReMix Initiative ~ Let's put the PC in OC ReMix!

Archangel

I think I, have decided that I, would like to commit to Rogue Encampment from, Fiablo 2.

Diablo 2 was released in 2000, but that's okay. =D It's almost 12 years old and I still think of the 90s when someone says 10 years ago. =D

Rogue Encampment also has some Tristram leitmotifs in it. You probably already know that, but just in case.

I'd like to remix a song from a really obscure educational DOS game called Rescue the Scientists.

Cool, I've never even heard of that game!

I'll put everyone on the list and add their specific tracks later on.

If I had even the slightest bit of skill at remixing, I would totally help out with this initiative - it's something that's been bugging me for a while too, as some of my favorite game music (Descent, Might and Magic 6-7, Magic Carpet to name a few sources) is from games on the pc. As it is, I'll just wish you all the best of luck and hope to see your tracks on the front page soon. :-)

Both evktalo and Draconiator have already started working on their ReMixes, which is commendable!

I'm planning on making my Heroes of Might and Magic II claim into a vocal track, so I'm writing the lyrics as we speak. That counts too, I guess. =)

Alright, so the track I'm going to be remixing is the fourth song from the first area, which is Greece.

Great source! I've put you on the list, so whenever you're ready. =D

I fully support this initiative.

Thanks! It's good to know we have supporters.

I have yet to hear a famed Archangel vocal track. But I'm looking forward to it. :-D

All in good time, my friend! =) I'm looking forward to finishing it as well!

I've made some progress with my Sea Theme lyrics. I have a really nice vocalist in mind for the track and will probably be contacting her soon. Keep your fingers crossed!

Also, I've made this retro DOS signature badge:

ThePCReMixInitiative-DOSBadge.jpg

It's just something I stitched together in MS Paint. I'll try to make some specific game-related ones later on, but for now, this should do. =)

i'm not a remixer but this is some support:

pcr1.png

pcr2.png

obscure game and pc music need some love.

Thank you so much, Doulifée! I'll put these in the first post and give you credit. =D I love the first one, that .bat really sends me on a nostalgia trip!

If you're ever considering a title or name for the initiative, might I suggest "echo off"? KF

That's a good one! Thanks for the suggestion. =) I agree with Doulifée, though. Echo on sounds better to me.

Echo on sounds better to me.

Echo On - The PC ReMix Initiative. Yeah, sounds pretty cool indeed. :)

Archangel, you really ought to consider making this initiative into a proper project imho.

Cause there is amazing potential here that deserves proper support, coverage and recognition.

*goes back to searching a source to remix*

That's a good one! Thanks for the suggestion. =) I agree with Doulifée, though. Echo on sounds better to me.

I like either one. My inclination for "echo off" was because most DOS games you start up begin with that command, so it was what I always associated with booting up an old game. KF

Archangel, you really ought to consider making this initiative into a proper project imho.

Cause there is amazing potential here that deserves proper support, coverage and recognition.

I think we can do something different here. Each of us would slap "PCReMix" to WIP board topic headers and submissions posts. Other people would see PCReMixers helping each other out on the WIP forum - what we should do is when we see a WIP thread with "PCReMix" in it, is to pile on it and give lots of constructive feedback. This way people take notice of this fantastic initiative and join in.

There's so many projects around these days, that each of them doesn't get the same level of attention as they used to, from what I can tell. Usually the projects also are worked on mostly out of sight, whereas it'd be interesting and different to try to have this thing happen in plain view.

However, some sort of an album would be cool. For instance, when we have a bunch of posted ReMixes, I wonder if djp and site staff would be open to doing a "compilation album", perhaps with new bonus tracks (which could comprise the mixflood).

--Eino

I think we can do something different here. Each of us would slap "PCReMix" to WIP board topic headers and submissions posts. Other people would see PCReMixers helping each other out on the WIP forum - what we should do is when we see a WIP thread with "PCReMix" in it, is to pile on it and give lots of constructive feedback. This way people take notice of this fantastic initiative and join in.

There's so many projects around these days, that each of them doesn't get the same level of attention as they used to, from what I can tell. Usually the projects also are worked on mostly out of sight, whereas it'd be interesting and different to try to have this thing happen in plain view.

However, some sort of an album would be cool. For instance, when we have a bunch of posted ReMixes, I wonder if djp and site staff would be open to doing a "compilation album", perhaps with new bonus tracks (which could comprise the mixflood).

--Eino

only drawback is most of those songs won't be new and already available. best way is to try to submit a few of them as preview of the incoming album.

I'm sorry to say I agree with Eino on this one. First of all, I don't think I'm competent enough to be a project director, and even if I were, I'm not comfortable judging other people's work since I'm a real nitpicker.

If someone wants to start a PC-related album, they're welcome to do so (and I'll probably contribute a track to it), but for now I'll just be keeping this initiative as it is. If it works, it'll be a lot more rewarding than just a stuffy project album that stays hidden for years on end.

I'm sure we'll get more support and coverage if we stick to the plan. Maybe we can even get out of this Remix Requests hellhole. =D

Speaking of remixes, I've started working on my Eye of the Beholder II track, and Draconiator has started a thread for his Jill of the Jungle mix. You can find the links to our threads in the first post.

(Draconiator, add PCReMix to your thread title if you want us to find you sooner. =D )

I agree with Archangel agreeing with me. ;-) Great to see those WIP threads up, I went ahead and added my comments! Let's get this rolling. Show that DarkeSword that this is not a request, but collaboration! (:

--Eino

Nobody here is collaborating on an album or a specific work that will be released as a single entity. It is a very fancy and elaborate request for remixes of music from PC games. Seriously, let it go and stop harping on it.

Well I have to say, this sounds pretty awesome to someone like me, a lot of my fondest gaming memories are with old PC games, and this definitely seems like something the site could use! I have had some ideas for source material in the past that I'll have to think back on, definitely a couple from The Quest for Glory series that I think could make for some great mixes.

For now I will gladly adopt a signature banner and look forward to seeing what comes of this moving forward!

Well, it's not going to be done. It's not an album project, we're just making ReMixes for PC here, cheering and helping out each other. What's great about it is that you don't have to wait for a full album to be done; mixes from this initiative are going to hit the front page sooner or later. Well, considering the time it takes to go through the panel and then to-be-posted queue, it's going to be later. But they'll be there!

--Eino