OCR00458 - Street Fighter II "Ryu Interpretation"

Ginnsu

Street Fighter II 'Ryu Interpretation'

It starts off with a quick harp pattern with the repeating delay, and I just can’t say that it’s going to work for me. The reverb on the drums also seems a tad heavy. Around 1:36 most of the instruments go silent and the harp is not as overwhelming, this is the one part in the song that doesn't make my skin crawl. Sorry Mr. Malcolm, but I’m afraid this one doesn't work for me.

• 1 year later...

Hahaha, I'm guessing this was posted before there were judges or something. ;)

But anyway, ummm....yeah. This mix is definitely, as djp puts it, "unique" and "memorable," but whether that's in a good way or not could be left up to the listener. It does have a certain frenetic feel to it, and a pretty decent groove, but I personally feel that some better choices in synths, samples, and effects could have been made. In the end, it's not exactly BEER quality, but don't expect to put it on your top 10 either. Check it out if you like techno and/or Street Fighter, I guess.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The heavily delayed and looped harp sample really does give this an unique feel, and there is a pretty solid energy to this, but why oh why did you use that choir sample? ;_;

I'd have prefered the drums to mix things up a bit from time to time, but there was enough breaks to give things a sense of structure. The synths were overall well used, and the traditional sounding instruments blended well. There was a few ideas I thought you were hinting at that never materialized, and that's a shame, but I think things turned out just fine. Nice work. :D

• 11 months later...

The intro is interesting, but I feel the harp is covering up a melody that should be more present.At around the midway point, the melody is being "uncovered" and the ever present harps now fade in the background, giving another feel to this remix. There are some good ideas in this, but it feels condensed. It's like instead of having one idea for a song, two incomplete ideas were taken and mixed together. I can't say I like it very much, but its still an interesting musical composition.

• 8 months later...

I think the harp is a pretty cool idea. Had a good drive to it. Beyond that everything is decent. Choir sample is sketchy at best, but it serves a purpose, I guess.

To me it doesn't seem like too much happens, I would like to see more go on with the melody. More variation overall would have been nice.

Worth a listen, I think.

• 3 months later...

The intro comes off too strong and fast paced.

It's sort of hard to say something that hasn't really already been said.

I do think that the melody is overshadowed by much of everything else that's going on.

This isn't really one of my favorite remixes, but one can tell time and effort had been put into this.

My recommendation is to just download and listen for yourself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This mix is competent for the age it came out in, but it could have used more flare and some better mixing (the high end range really has a lot of fighting going on and the only things in the mid are the top of the bass and a tiny bit of the snare). Unfortunately this definitely doesn't hold up to the test of time, but there are quite a few neat ideas employed like parts of the drum layering. Still, can't fight the fact that it does not really develop much.

Shows that OCR has come a VERY long way, and its roots are full of many things.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00458 - Street Fighter II "Ryu Interpretation"
  • 7 years later...

Some good ideas, and it's definitely at least a complete song in some regards, but the arrangement and samples, especially the choir, show their age here. A bit of an update in everything and expansion on the writing would make this pretty good. Not awful to me, but not one of my favorites.