Comic Book Art

AngelCityOutlaw

K so, I know OCR has a fair number of artistic (aside from music) people. So this is sort of asking for your tips on a particular subject.

For fun, I got a hold of some official, inked drawings from comic books. Like Tomb Raider, Witchblade and X-Men. I decided I wanted to give it a shot at colouring them in with gimp/photoshop.

I'm looking for any general tips on how to really bring drawings to life by colouring them with computers. Any useful advice at all.

Here's some pages that show the effects I'm going for.

tomb-raider-comic-issue-9.jpeg

EVERYONE has this book

083-jim-lee.jpg

My favourite bad girl from the 90s

Witchblade-Comic-Book.jpg

Now obviously, I wouldn't expect any of mine to turn out as good as those. The colorists for those books have many, many years of experience and professionalism. However, I still want to try my best.

Also, this could make for good discussion of all things related to comic artwork, so feel free to discuss that too. Yes, I have made all the text bold in this post.

y haro ther x-men issue 1, long time no see.

Back when I actually liked the X-Men series, and would buy them every month.

Yeah, I really liked the comics back when Jim Lee was drawin' em.

layers

I'm hardly the most proficient artist of anything, but layers are pretty much key to coloring preexisting images.

Seems that way. I was working on one of super-girl for the past few hours, but it's definitely not good enough to display.

Here's a (somewhat) related question.

I have a bunch of comic books of various tiles, numbers and conditions. I was thinking since i no longer need them or have any interest in them, I may as well sell them.

But I'm not paying $30 or more for a book that I will have no real use for afterward.

Is there a site that lets you put your collection and mark its condition, and can give a rough estimate of what to expect? I know that the value is based upon demand and rarity, but it should at least tell me if it's worth selling, right?

I've googled it but Google likes to suggest mortgage loan calculators instead of comic book values for some fucking reason.

The two examples you showed are very different in terms of coloring style, so I think the common denominator that you're seeing is actually the inking style -- lots of blacks in the inking for intense shading.

Coloring-wise, those styles don't look that complex. If you had a colorless version for either of those images, you probably wouldn't have a hard time coming up with something similar.

The two examples you showed are very different in terms of coloring style, so I think the common denominator that you're seeing is actually the inking style -- lots of blacks in the inking for intense shading.

Coloring-wise, those styles don't look that complex. If you had a colorless version for either of those images, you probably wouldn't have a hard time coming up with something similar.

The third image no longer appears hmmm... Thank you for the tips! I'm going to keep working on a few more drawings and then share them and see if I'm making any progress.

As for the Damned's question about sites....I shall search for the answer!

the trick to drawing comic books is to be a sexist man

oh my god how can you say that there is nothing wrong with strong independent women who want to bone all the guys with sex while wearing swimsuits and pasties while fighting crime riding dinosaurs through time.

besides we see guys with ABS and TIGHT PANTS built like BRICK FRIDGES so really aren't us poor men dealing with constant objectification too

those crazy women it's all about them amirite guys

Lol, fucking Liefeld.

That image of Cap'n America will never not make me laugh.

I only really learned how to draw from John Kricfalusci's Blog (and poorly at that), but that's not really the style you're going for. Unless you want to start drawing some crazy comics in the vein of Krazy Kat (then more power to you!).

Though he emphasizes a different style it might be good to leaf through some of his pointers as his blog can teach some nice fundamentals about setting up characters, lines of action, negative space, and all that jazz. I think he does have a few posts about Jack Kirby, the comic king.