'Doomed Til The End' V3 (Wild Arms: "Eulogy of Ruin" Ambient/Electronica remix) *Can I get feedback?

timaeus222

Here's my first attempt at Dubstep in combination with Ambient and Electronica, so I'm wondering how I did on the production quality of this. I'm not completely sure about submitting this, so just focus your critique on how good/bad this sounds overall for now. I'm thinking the drums are fine. I'm only worried about if it's crowded, if my choice of sounds was working, or if any of the sounds are overpowering for any others, etc.

All non-percussion sounds were with Zebra 2.5 with the exception of the White Noise.

Source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kyKiLxiEew

Remix V1:

http://www.box.com/s/9q0ui8u3396dpj3mv5qa

OK I'm not familiar with the source but I'll give some production comments. First impressions are that you have some pretty nice sound design and ideas going on, however round about the 1 minute mark I was expecting that drone in the background to stop as the melody type thing (I assume it's the melody as it's quite ambient) came in. That drone HAS to stop at some point - it's present throughout the whole piece and I don't know how you can listen to that when you're mixing and not get annoyed with it! I can understand it in a build up but knock it off after a while!

The auto filtered "dubstep" parts of this are way too quiet in the mix, and in fact barely audible in places. If you get rid of the drone then you can use the frequency space to put these synths in, and they'll have much more room to breathe, and it would actually work really well. I definitely think you should hold off labelling this as dubstep because it's lacking the majority of the structure that makes dubstep what it is.

As an electronic track I think it's a great start, however that drone needs to go, and the track needs much more variation overall. Without a clear melody line, the texture of the track needs to constantly evolve and remain interesting. You have a really nice start, but everything after 1 minute seems to be the same (I know it's not, but it feels like it is), so try and work on the structure a bit more, with clear points where the mix is darker/lighter and evolving as it progresses.

I'm gonna have to ditto on DarkSim here, that background drone has got to go. I know you're using it as a pad, but it's just distracting from the rest of the song. And it also feels to me that the song pretty much stays the same after 1:00, which I'm sure the drone doesn't help as it melds the track from beginning to end with it as you're reminded of the drone at the begrudging to end. Not to be a stick in the mud about it, but that's the number one thing that's gotta go.

Nope, on V2 it starts at 0:20 and doesn't end until the song is over. It's not a rendering problem is it? because I've render songs before and the last note of an instrument VST would stick and play the note continuously and I had to re-render it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, it's not a rendering problem. I guess I didn't think of the wrong synth instance. It's definitely different now.

Also, I checked the amount of Previews on the V2 remix. There aren't any. My mistake, I put the wrong link. This is the right link for the V2.

http://www.box.com/s/4s9fozqlalgkjiegl0ak (V2)

I updated it again though. It should be more ambient, especially in the beginning. This is the V3:

http://www.box.com/s/rqst0627bl2760nog65v

• 1 month later...

A Wild ARMS track!

Interesting take on the source, and definitely a good start to the arrangement. The song sort of sounds static on the arrangement side though. A sense of progression would add another dimension to the song. This has the potential to be a long and quite interesting song. I love most of what's there.

The mid-frequency synth droning in the background that I believe is alluded to the others does get irritating, but only minorly so to me - it is the one that is used as atmosphere. You want to keep the song changing to keep it interesting to the listener, so it's good that it seems to disappear later on in the song in place of something else.

I would love to see you make this song longer. It appears to be well-built.

Alright, let's see what we have got here.

Intro - fade in... Not a fan. Needs to be something better than that.

At 0:20 I would bring in an additional, sharper snare, layered on top of the one you already have, it will give the mix more a sense of progression that Bahamut was talking about.

At 0:38 I would either bring in a harsh bass or a deep distorted bass pad with a lot of movement.

At about 2:30 I would put in a section with no beats and some harmonies, before coming back in with the main theme full force (perhaps with some variations and layered pads). And from that point I would keep the same outro.

Just really some suggestions. I think your mix already sounds good, it just needs some minor tweaking to be great.

Good job!